The inside story of a toxic culture at Maryland football

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin

Now, if this would've happened at Morgan State, Howard, or Hampton. They would've been all over the news, and doing interviews bashing all HBCU's.

See, they let those white men treat them like animals, and for what?????

I agree. I was thinking of what happened at North Carolina with their recent controversy with academics and athletes. If that had been NCCU or A&T, I think that the coverage would be different.

I had tough coaches but not abusive coaches. It is one thing to be disciplined. It is another thing to be abusive.

The "Junction boys" practice methods is not cool.

John David Crow was Paul 'Bear' Bryant's only Heisman winner. He played for Bryant at Texas A&M but was not a part of the Junction Boys. Crow was a freshman at the time when freshmen were not ineligible for varsity play. After playing in the NFL, he coached under Bryant at Alabama and said in an interview about 20 years ago that Bryant had changed.

I agree. I was thinking of what happened at North Carolina with their recent controversy with academics and athletes. If that had been NCCU or A&T, I think that the coverage would be different.

I had tough coaches but not abusive coaches. It is one thing to be disciplined. It is another thing to be abusive.

White coaches have a history of doing this to black players. They will literally berate, intimidate, and try to sabotage them at the drop of the dime. Hell, you could also use on the job, too.

John David Crow was Paul 'Bear' Bryant's only Heisman winner. He played for Bryant at Texas A&M but was not a part of the Junction Boys. Crow was a freshman at the time when freshmen were not ineligible for varsity play. After playing in the NFL, he coached under Bryant at Alabama and said in an interview about 20 years ago that Bryant had changed.

They practiced in a brutal desert for two weeks. No water breaks during practice.

Maybe, but, they are able to recover. We don't get fair shake in the media. It's always negative and bad media.

It's not ALWAYS negative press when it comes to HBCUs. The New York Daily News just published a story about that blue chip recruit visiting FAMU. Stop this victimization rhetoric.

I think it is safe to say that this is not just one man's opinion.

----------

Schmuck: If review of Maryland football program confirms reports, DJ Durkin must go permanently

Peter Schmuck Contact Reporter
The Baltimore Sun

August 11, 2018, 9:25 PM

Maryland head football coach DJ Durkin has been placed on administrative leave and — let’s be honest — it probably won’t be long before that becomes a permanent arrangement.

Durkin might not be directly responsible for the death of 19-year-old redshirt freshman Jordan McNair two months ago, but if a fraction of the allegations included in the ESPN reporting that has shocked a nation and shaken the Maryland football program are confirmed, he has to go.

…..

Why? Because the behavior described in the ESPN articles isn’t surprising in the high-pressure world of Power 5 conference football. The coaches generally attempt to build a “macho culture” that lends itself to overbearing coaches and hardcore training methods. It would be naive to think the Maryland program is the only one that might have crossed the line between tough love and actionable negligence.

…..

Consider the pressure he has been under to turn Maryland into a major college power in a conference that is dominated by teams that are in a completely different competitive area code.

The only way to win in that situation is to find ways to enhance the performance of players who are often a cut below those recruited by the Ohio States and Southern Californias of the college football world.

…..

The players parent's should get together and file a class-action lawsuit against the coaches, the AD, the president and university. That's one way to get paid because abuse is abuse, whether it's physical, sexual or emotional.
And to top it off, one fellow teammate died due to abusive behavior.

Last edited:
They practiced in a brutal desert for two weeks. No water breaks during practice.
:D y’all don’t understand... it was “stuff” occurring back in the day lol. Only the strongest and most fit mentally & physically survived those factual 2-a-days 8am-11am and then 3pm-dark’thirty :D . We had to jog 1 mile to get to the practice facility and 1 mile fro, full pads, helmet always on, single file line.

Back