The gross reason your salmon is about to get (even more) expensive.

Olde Hornet

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-salmon-is-about-to-get-even-more-expensive/

The bad news is you may have to cut back on how much salmon you eat. The good news is when you find out the gross reason why, you might not have much of an appetite anyway.

Salmon farms in Norway and Scotland, two of the world’s largest exporters, have been decimated by sea lice, a parasite that has feasted on the blood and skin of salmon for millennia. Farther south in Chile, a toxic algae bloom has killed enough of the fish to fill several Olympic swimming pools.

As the salmon die by the millions, it’s causing a supply-and-demand ripple effect that’s reaching deep into American wallets.

Worldwide farmed salmon production fell by 8.7 percent in a year, according to the Financial Times. And the Nasdaq Salmon Index showed a nearly 15 percent jump in salmon prices in the last three months.

In the near future, it only promises to get worse. And the dying fish and rising prices could fan the debate about whether growing salmon in giant ocean farms is sustainable.

For fans of salmon nigiri or frozen fillets plucked from supermarket freezers for quick, heart-healthy protein, expect salmon portions to shrink — and prices to grow, experts say.

This is why I only buy fish or shrimp if it's caught wild or farmed in America. If it's not from the gulf, Atlantic or Key West I want eat it.
Those items are getting harder and harder to find.
Costco has switched over to sockeye salmon and they used to sell catfish, but I haven't seen much if any there lately. With all the negative talk about tilapia you'd think they'd stop selling it, but they're always stocked up. I think they have a tilapia farm in the back.

Nothing wrong with Tilapia farmed in the right locations.

This issue will definitely raise salmon prices though.

Back