The Future of Windows

jelli

Music Lover
The Future of Windows
Wed May 19, 3:00 AM ET

Scott Spanbauer

Over the years, Windows has gradually evolved from a shaky graphical veneer over the MS-DOS command prompt into a stable multitasking powerhouse good for just about any digital duty. Now Microsoft is hard at work on the successor to Windows XP (news - web sites), code-named Longhorn, promising newfound abilities to keep important data at your fingertips.

Considering all the attention it's been getting (I got 1.3 million hits when I last searched Google for "Microsoft Longhorn") you'd think the new Windows was going to change your life tomorrow. But you'd think wrong.

Although a beta version of Longhorn was originally due later this year, that target slipped to next year as the company shifted programmers to bolstering Windows XP's security (see the accompanying story, "Windows XP Service Pack 2"). Now, Microsoft says, Longhorn won't show up on new PCs or store shelves until 2006.

here is the rest of the story... http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ttpcworld/20040519/tc_techtues_pcworld/116181

In all honesty M$ is on borrowed time. The linux community is in a position to really hurt windows. Linux simply lacks one common user friendly GUI and the ability to run windows software. Once a common GUI and an emulator for windows becomes standard in one of the distributions (and this may be the case with Lindows) you could see a switch in the market. All it would take to market the product at this time is a pitch about security with all the flaws windows has suffered from. Now if they keep the thing free and get some of the major PC makers to offer this standard vs windows....WATCH OUT :smash:

That is the goal of JDS. After the intial $400 or $500 investment in the hardware, for a small fee of $100/year SUN will host all your data and software. You won't have to worry about security upgrades, patches, or software upgrades, SUN will handle all that for you. They have a SMART CARD that will allow you to gain access to your machine or any other JDS machine.

Imagine going to your friends house and swiping your card on his machine, and POW its just as if you were on your machine at home with the same exact Desktop.

With all of today's 3rd party software designed to work with Windows, it's gonna be hard for another vendor to compete with Microsoft. I don't think the Windows family has anything to be worried about.

Da_Sperm said:
That is the goal of JDS. After the intial $400 or $500 investment in the hardware, for a small fee of $100/year SUN will host all your data and software. You won't have to worry about security upgrades, patches, or software upgrades, SUN will handle all that for you. They have a SMART CARD that will allow you to gain access to your machine or any other JDS machine.

Imagine going to your friends house and swiping your card on his machine, and POW its just as if you were on your machine at home with the same exact Desktop.

I had read about trends moving towards actualy gettin hardware free for a similar software subscription as you mentioned. I think in the beginning I think IT shops would turn to that...similar to the way they use the Red Hat subscriptions. But for some reason I don't see that catching on for home use just yet. Especialy with privacy groups belly-aching about your files and software being sotred server side. Look at how that batched about Google email...though it did have alot to do with the fact that they would scan it.

I do however have a Games on Demand subcription which lets me play PC games that are semi-server side. The concept needs some improvement before they go to the next level it seems.

NASTYNUPE said:
With all of today's 3rd party software designed to work with Windows, it's gonna be hard for another vendor to compete with Microsoft. I don't think the Windows family has anything to be worried about.

Thing is...you got all the open source developers who mimmick the fucntionality of alot of those programs for free on platforms like Linux. The thing thats stopping them is that you have to be into that kind of thing to find them and use them....but if they ever become main stream.....

NASTYNUPE said:

JDS intergrates with most Windows-based applications and for those that will not run on JDS, JDS has an emulator that will let your windows application run via the emulator. Kinda like Terminal Services.

Sun has already began deploying to companies that do help desk support, or alot of data entry. They are able save these companies plenty of money. Plenty of TECHIE people have invested in these machines for home use. They are now available from sun.com and wal-mart.com.

Five years from now, Microsoft Windows will have at least 2 major competitors.

Back