The "Female Version" of Prince is Back . . .

Deuce

With all this talk lately about Prince (and I'm a huge Prince fan), I thought it was only fitting to point out that the female version of Prince has a new CD that will be available on May 11th.

Of course, I'm talking about the one and only Teena Marie, a/k/a "Lady T".

Just like Prince, Teena Marie would write, produce, arrange, compose and perform every song on her CD in addition to playing all the instruments on some of her songs in the recording studio.

Her new CD is titled "La Dona" and the first single "I'm Still In Love" is great. I'll be buying this one as soon as it hits the shelves.

Click below to hear the new CD.

:tup:

http://www.samgoody.com/Music/Album.aspx?p_id=P+++++4844&a_id=R+++690914&prodid=CMNYB000255202.2

I could never get into Teena Marie. She does nothing for me.

Now, I have a buddy from college who is the biggest Teena fan. You can't tell him Teena can't walk on water.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Teena Marie is my Girl yo.

Me and one of my patners was talking about her last night.

songs like:
If I were a Bell
My Dear, Mr. Gaye
Portugeuse Love
Square Biz
Oh la la la
Fire & Desire
sucka for Love
Lover Girl
Opus III

Teena had SOUL!!!!!

Okay, Im starting to see a problem with this "Dona" Album.

she has a song with Baby "Birdman" on it and a song with MC Lyte????

:confused:

LadyLuck13 said:
:smh: Just not the same....She doesn't sound the same to me....

Its hard to get a real feel of the songs over the internet, but on "I'm Still In Love", I hear the old Teena Marie.

Go to the following website and click on "Teena Marie - "Still In Love", then click on "listen" to hear the full version of "I'm Still In Love". The sound quality is much better. Then tell me what you think.

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/artist/card/0,,463330,00.html?src=redirsearch&artist=Teena+Marie

BandFan said:
Okay, Im starting to see a problem with this "Dona" Album.

she has a song with Baby "Birdman" on it and a song with MC Lyte????

:confused:

She's signed to Cash Money. No one else would give her a chance, I guess.

From www.allmusic.com
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

No White artist has sang R&B more convincingly than Teena Marie, whose big, robust vocals are so Black-sounding that when she was starting out, some listeners wondered if she was a light-skinned African-American. Not to be confused with Brazilian jazz singer Tania Maria, Marie grew up in West Los Angeles in a neighborhood that was nicknamed "Venice Harlem" because of its heavy Black population. The singer/songwriter/producer was in her early 20s when, around 1977, she landed a job at Motown Records. It was at Motown that she met her mentor and paramour-to-be, Rick James, who ended up doing all of the writing and producing for her debut album of 1979, Wild And Peaceful.

That LP, which boasted her hit duet with James, "I'm Just A Sucker For Your Love," didn't show Marie's picture?so many programmers at Black radio just assumed she was Black. When her second album, Lady T, came out, much of the R&B world was shocked to see how fair-skinned she was.
But to many of the Black R&B fans who were eating her music up, it really didn't matter?the bottom line was she was a first-rate soul singer whose love of Black culture ran deep.
By her third album, 1980's gold Irons In The Fire, Marie was doing most of her own writing and producing. That album boasted the major hit "I Need Your Lovin'," and Marie went gold again with her next album, It Must Be Magic (which included the major hit "Square Biz"). It Must Be Magic turned out to be her last album for Motown, which she had a nasty legal battle with. Marie got out of her contract with Motown, and the case ended up with the courts passing what is known as "The Teena Marie Law"?which states that a label cannot keep an artist under contract without putting out an album by him or her.

Switching to Epic in 1983, Marie recorded her fifth album Robbery and had a hit with "Fix It." In 1984, Marie recorded her sixth album, Starchild and had her biggest pop hit ever with "Lovergirl." Though Marie had often soared to the top of the R&B charts, "Lovergirl" marked the first time she'd done so well in the pop market. Ironically, Marie was a White singer who had enjoyed little exposure outside the R&B market prior to "Lovegirl."

Three more Epic albums followed: 1986's Emerald City, 1988's Naked To The World (which contained her smash hit "Ooh La La La") and 1990's Ivory. Unfortunately, Marie's popularity had faded considerably by the late 1980s, and Epic dropped her. In 1994, the singer released Passion Play on her own Sarat label.

Deuce said:
With all this talk lately about Prince (and I'm a huge Prince fan), I thought it was only fitting to point out that the female version of Prince has a new CD that will be available on May 11th.

Of course, I'm talking about the one and only Teena Marie, a/k/a "Lady T".

I couldn't never associate her with Prince. She will always be a Rick James prodigy.

Fiyah said:
I couldn't never associate her with Prince. She will always be a Rick James prodigy.

Fiyah,

What I meant by that was, how many successful performers can you name other than Prince, Teena Marie and Stevie Wonder, who have put out hit albums where they wrote, arranged, composed, produced, performed, and PLAYED EVERY INSTRUMENT on the entire album?

Not many, if any.

BandFan said:
Teena Marie is my Girl yo.

Me and one of my patners was talking about her last night.

songs like:
Fire & Desire

A Classic!!! Looooooooooooove them, and leave them....that's what I used to doooo. :D Me and my sis always mock that song.

Deuce said:
Fiyah,

What I meant by that was, how many successful performers can you name other than Prince, Teena Marie and Stevie Wonder, who have put out hit albums where they wrote, arranged, composed, produced, performed, and PLAYED EVERY INSTRUMENT on the entire album?

Not many, if any.
Does R. Kelly play any instruments.

I bought the new Teena Marie CD, "La Dona" the other day and I love it.

I haven't even listened to the whole thing yet, but I really like what I have heard so far. Its got some nice laid back cuts, and some good mid to uptempo stuff too.

If you are remotely a Teena Marie fan, or a fan of good 70's and 80's R&B, you should check it out.

I highly recommend it.

:tup: :tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I heard her new song on the radio and I will always like her sexy azz voice. She sounds like she is really feeling the song.

Back