The Benefits of Running

Warndalyn

Postmaster General!!!
Is running really the best thing for toning your legs and buttocks? Any runners in the house? If so, what benefits are there in running all the time? I know it's good for the heart/cardio, but what else? It wears and tears on the knees, doesn't it?

Warndalyn - I can only speak from my experience (which isn't that long of a time). I started running this past November because I wanted to add it to my cadre of exercises that I do on a regular basis. It has defintitely caused some toning to take place in my calvs. They are becoming more and more defined.

As far as benefits, for me, running has allowed me to increase my cardio output. It has proven to me that I can go for a greater distance of my own accord, i.e., no machine to help me. It is all me when I am running. I get no assistance from the elliptical machine, stairmaster, stationery bike, etc. Sometimes I run on the treadmill simply because it is a different type of running. On the treadmill you are able to set the speed of the belt and run at that rate for a set time (if you like). I find that I work much harder when I run on the treadmill.

My runs are done in a combination of places: indoor track, outdoor track, the treadmill, and outside on the road. I vary it up over the course of the week.

Some people do have problems with their knees when it comes to running. It is important to have a good fitting shoe and to regularly change the shoe (every 350-400 miles). Also, running on concrete is not good for the knees either. It is best to run on a softer surface like that of most outdoor tracks. If a track is not available, it is best to run on pavement. It allows for more cushion than concrete.

Just my thoughts.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Thank you, E~...great tips! Imma get me some of those shoes in your avatar. You do use those for running, don't you?

I have this outdoor track I'm about to start running/walking on.

Yes, those are the ones I use for running. You may want to start with wallking or following a plan. Following a plan will allow you to be consistent in your training and build up your endurance over time.

http://www.halhigdon.com/
- this site offers several plans including a beginning walking plan. I'm currently using the novice guide for running a 5K. Although that may not be your goal, to run a 5K, you may find that it helps you to build up your stamina as you embark on this journey.

Yes, those are the ones I use for running. You may want to start with wallking or following a plan. Following a plan will allow you to be consistent in your training and build up your endurance over time.

http://www.halhigdon.com/
- this site offers several plans including a beginning walking plan. I'm currently using the novice guide for running a 5K. Although that may not be your goal, to run a 5K, you may find that it helps you to build up your stamina as you embark on this journey.
:tup:

Thanks so much,

You're welcome! Good luck to ya! :tup: Beginning a workout plan is difficult and it takes time for it to become apart of what we do on a regular basis. Keep at it and you will achieve your goals.

You're welcome! Good luck to ya! :tup: Beginning a workout plan is difficult and it takes time for it to become apart of what we do on a regular basis. Keep at it and you will achieve your goals.
That's my problem, keeping at it. :shame: I've had some great work-out regimens, in the past, but can't seem to stick w/them. Pray for me, hea? :D

:swink: Will do.

I've been told that it takes at least 21 days for a new task to become a habit. Many people will work out consistently for 5 days and then the weekend hits. Well, that breaks up the routine and we are already off of our habit-building taks. If you are able to follow a plan (like the one I linked to up there) then you don't have the chance to take the weekend off.

Set some mini-goals:

-run/walk for 15 minutes for 5 days then reward yourself with a manicure
-the next week, add 5 minutes to your routine then reward yourself with a book you've been wanting to purchase

It is important to set some goals so you have something to work toward. Put in writing for you to see on a daily basis. Also, pencil the workout in your calendar and check it off when you have done so. Hold yourself accountable to yourself.

um, workout for 5 straight days? :uhoh:

ok, Imma try this thing and see how long it lasts...:rolleyes: The warmer temps are starting to roll in, and I plan on hittin' this track, but I was only planning to do it 3 times a week...will that NOT be good enough?

:lol: Don't set yourself up for failure already with this statement:

ok, Imma try this thing and see how long it lasts... :rolleyes:

Set some small goals, even if it is only 3 days per week (the 5 days was just an examle :) ) The key is to set a goal, write it down, tell someone, and hold yourself accountable.

:lol: Don't set yourself up for failure already with this statement:

Set some small goals, even if it is only 3 days per week (the 5 days was just an examle :) ) The key is to set a goal, write it down, tell someone, and hold yourself accountable.
yes ma'am...LOL

naw, seriously, thank you so much, E~...I really appreciate your feedback and your support. :tup: I'm really trying hard to incorporate a feasible work-out regimen, in my daily routine. I never exercise and that's not healthy...I'm about to turn 36 this year and 40 is approaching quite rapidly, dear. :uhoh:

yes ma'am...LOL

naw, seriously, thank you so much, E~...I really appreciate your feedback and your support. :tup: I'm really trying hard to incorporate a feasible work-out regimen, in my daily routine. I never exercise and that's not healthy...I'm about to turn 36 this year and 40 is approaching quite rapidly, dear. :uhoh:

She can be a little bossy. :lol:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I don't run...I have bad knees and ankles. I use the eliptical(sp) machine. Actually that thing kinda feels like it massages my joints and stretches me.

Warndalyn, does running help with your abs? I'm getting a gut, something I have NEVER had and I need to stop the madness now.

Back