The Benefits of Cardio

Killer Bees

A lot of people think the purpose of cardio is to burn fat while you are exercising. This is partly right. The purpose of cardio is to release hormones that are designed to increase your metabolism.

These are the hormones that are release during moderate to high cardio exercise.

Growth Hormone (GH) - creates new muscle cells and reduces adipose tissue (body fat)

Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH) - causes the thyroid gland to make two hormones: triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). T3 and T4 help control your body's metabolism.

Cortisol - responses to stress

The combination of these hormones will increase your metabolism at rest.

If you have a high metabolism already and you are trying to gain muscle, cardio is a waste of time.

If you are trying to loose weight, you need to do moderate to high intensity cardio for at least 30 minutes three times a week.

I love cardio. I can do cardio 7 days a week, if it wouldn't be so bad on my body long term.

I can't say I love it, but I figured out how to do it where it is comfortable and effective.

I agree. I know that I can do it and it is beneficial to me. I generally do my cardio first thing in the AM. On those days I am much more alert and effective.

well i've been doing 30 mins of cardio 2 x's a week for a few weeks. i'm trying to push myself to 3 days and then increase the time to 45. my femininity is getting in the way, because i hate sweating my hair out. :lol: i will be able to dedicate more once my hair is braided.

Back