Texas Southern, what's going on?

truthteller

The Critic
Law school urged to increase admissions standards
Black Issues in Higher Education; Reston; Aug 30, 2001

Based on an accreditation review, the American Bar Association (ABA) has criticized Texas Southern University's law school, saying its students are "short-changed." Among other things, the ABA said TSU officials enroll students "incapable" of finishing law school and passing the state bar exam.

The criticism against TSU's Thurgood Marshall School of Law reignites debate about the school's historic mission of offering legal education to students who might not otherwise have that chance because their test scores and grades are lower than others. Thurgood Marshall was created in the mid-1940s, when Houston mail carrier Herman M. Sweatt sued the University of Texas after he was denied law school admission because he was Black. The state of Texas created the Texas State University for Negroes arguing Sweatt and other Blacks could get "separate but equal" education there. The U.S. Supreme Court eventually ruled in Sweatt's favor and forced UT to admit Blacks.

Over the years, Thurgood Marshall has become the biggest producer of minority lawyers in Texas, and therefore has helped increase the state's minority middle class. Indeed, the percentage of minorities at other Texas law schools still often drags in single digits.

Yet, in recent years, Thurgood Marshall has consistently ranked last among the state's nine law schools in bar exam passage. This past February, only 36 percent of TSU law graduates taking the test for the first time passed. Meanwhile, 69 percent of all first-time test takers statewide passed.

"Thurgood Marshall School of Law is at a critical juncture," the Chicago-based ABA said in a report. "The law school ... claims to be a national leader ... but that is vastly overstated. The attrition rate is unconscionably high. The faculty and administration of Thurgood Marshall (should) engage in some serious soul searching about the future and put together a carefully crafted, realistic action plan to get there."

Frank Newton, dean of Texas Tech University's law school, said the ABA's emphasis on grades and test scores worries him. Newton, who is White, has been dean since 1985 and is former president of the State Bar of Texas. He has headed inspection teams for ABA accreditation efforts in other states.

"I cannot see how we measure just objective outcome," Newton says. "I would feel uncomfortable if we barred those who just don't meet the grades and test scores.

"In one-third of the cases, those predictors are off. I have great respect for TSU law school. They are expected to fit a square peg into a round hole. We need to grant that law school more freedom to operate."

The law school's reaccreditation does not appear immediately jeopardized. Thurgood Marshall must remain accredited so graduates can sit for the bar.

But the ABA report coincides with the federal Office of Civil Rights scrutinizing TSU amid worries about lingering discrimination and historic underfunding of Black colleges in Texas and other Southern and border states. Earlier this year, Texas lawmakers approved spending 31 percent more on TSU in fiscal 2002 and 2003 than in the previous two-year budget cycle. Lawmakers have said the measure includes language stating plans to grant TSU extra funds in future years.

TSU officials have said additional funds will finance an additional wing at Thurgood Marshall, among other items.

That apparently can't come too soon for the ABA, which listed the following 11 things which Thurgood Marshall may not be compliant with:

* Inadequate funding from TSU to Thurgood Marshall;

* The law school's self-study report does not identify means to reach goals;

* inadequate law school buildings;

* Lack of full-time clinical faculty with tenure;

* The only in-house clinic - environmental justice - has too many class hours;

* The school admits academically unqualified students;

* The education program doesn't prepare graduates to pass the bar exam;

* The law school publishes inadequate consumer information;

* The law library lacks sufficient reference services;

* The law library lacks financial help from TSU for teaching and research; and

* The law library doesn't employ enough competent staff.

Thurgood Marshall continues drawing the majority of Black and Hispanic first-year students among public law schools in Texas. But in recent years, the methan Law School Admissions Test score for students admitted to TSU has been 142, compared to the national average of 150, the ABA said. The median grade-point average for students admitted to TSU's law school has ranged from 2.67 to 2.76, compared with the national average of 3.06 to 3.10.

Since 1997, the highest bar passage rate that TSU law graduates have mustered is 60 percent. And the attrition rate of Thurgood Marshall's 331 first-year students in 1999 was 40 percent because of low grades, compared with 9 percent nationally, according to the ABA.

Law school officials are supposed to submit a plan for improvements by November.

In a statement, law school dean John Brittain said the school already has increased admissions standards for this fall's entering class and will continue doing so for future years. Saying the ABA and the law school have a "mutual interest" in increasing standards, Brittain said he expects the new standards will lead to "better performance."

TSU's law school has grown more important for some minorities in recent years because of the 1996 court ruling in the Hopwood case that banned Texas universities from using race-based admissions. Earlier this year, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal of Hopwood.

if it's TSU, there's always controversy, it's their middle name

Truthteller,

we are an open admissions institution. The majority of the law students who attend Thurdgood Marshall were greatly limited to other schools due to low entrance exams and undergraduate grade point averages.

If it wasn't for Texas Southern, the late Mickey Leland and Barbara Jordan would not have the legacies that they have today. All I am saying is; there will always be a high turnover rate for first year Thurgood students based on the facts that I stated above. What this article does not explain to everyone is that of those who do graduate go on to be some of the most successful attornies, general counsels and most solid private firms for minorities.

I have a friend who is a FAMU undergrad and a Thurgood graduate that graduated at the top of her class. When she was awarded her JD two years ago she had 66 offers accross the nation.

What I am getting at is, Texas Southern opens doors for those who would not have chances elsewhere. We will always have high dropout rates and probationary periods for Thurgood students but I can guarantee you that once you graduate with a JD from Thurgood that you are very well respected. This is true despite the stigmatism that is associated with the school because of underfunding by the state that is comparable with other law schools in the state.

The sole purpose that Texas Southern was created was due to the fact that a Jack Yates High School student wasn't allowed to enroll into the University of Texas so the state built "us" our own school and as it was back then as it still is to this day; we get the scraps off the table when it comes to funding. That's why our law professors and the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) have filed a lawsuit against the state of Texas because of this problem.

Just ask those who graduate from our prestigous Pharmacy and Technology schools if they have problems getting a job anywhere.

Panther Fan, this is not the forum for that type of comment.

Here is just a small listing of firms and various organizations that aggressively recruits from Thurgood:

Baker and Botts
Bracewell and Patterson
Dallas County Distric Attorney's Office
Department of the Navy - Office of General Counsel
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Fulbright and Jaworski
Harris County District Attorney's Office
Haynes and Boone
House of Legislative Services
Hughes and Luce
Jackson and Walker
NLRB
Shell Oil Company
Thompson and Knight
United States Military JAG Corps (some branches)

Also, the CEO and President (Gerald B. Smith) of the United States largest African American owned investment firms (Smith, Graham & Company Investment Advisors, L.P.) is a TSU undergrad and Thurdgood graduate. His firm manages approximately $2 billion in assets for his broad base of clients.

Originally posted by The Panther Fan
if it's TSU, there's always controversy, it's their middle name
There is controversy with most institutions be they populated by mostly whites or blacks. So let's not make such a blanket statement.
PV has had its share controversy this the past year....

Originally posted by C-LeB28

If it wasn't for Texas Southern, the late Mickey Leland and Barbara Jordan would not have the legacies that they have today. All I am saying is; there will always be a high turnover rate for first year Thurgood students based on the facts that I stated above. What this article does not explain to everyone is that of those who do graduate go on to be some of the most successful attornies, general counsels and most solid private firms for minorities.

I have a friend who is a FAMU undergrad and a Thurgood graduate that graduated at the top of her class. When she was awarded her JD two years ago she had 66 offers accross the nation.

What frustrates me about this type of criticisms and/or articles is that they do not state the success of the graduates. If they looked at the succes of the grads honestly, I would be that the criticism would be a bit lessened. But then again I would not hold my breath.

C-leb, excellent reply. But, (there's always one isn't there) let's be realistic. Now I haven't been to Thurgood in quite awhile, but I'm sure there needs to be some improvements. I'd be willing to say TSUL graduates do a lot more with a whole lot less than most. So I'm sure the law library needs to be upgraded and the admissions probably have to be raised a little, but as the article said they're already doing that. No you don't want to alienate or close your doors to the very ones you are trying to help, but within that sometimes you may get a rotten apple or two and that makes you look bad. Honestly, the good apples will always get through. Also something has to be done about that bar passage rate. I don't know if it's a lack or knowledge or a writing problem, but it's something that should be worked on. But don't tailor the school just to up the rate as some places would do. Keep your head up, you'll survive. You always have...

@#$% greedy, money hungry ABA!!! :redhot:

Bengal E...excellent.

I do find that a lot of HBCU institutions with professionals colleges have the tendancy to flood their respective departments with whites when they run into these kind of problems (as if that's going to change anything). I'm in my final year of pharmacy school at XU, and it is having this very same problem. But it has enrolled alot of whites and shut out the black students in order to bring up the national board examination scores to escape the risk of loosing accreditation.

PV has had its share controversy this the past year....

that's great controversy, it means people are trying to get into school and learn.

Well its easy for the great PV to say that......when your being feed from the "masters" hand. Ever since them white folks took you under their arms, you seem to boost. I can remember not too long ago (before Texas A&M came to the rescue)......PV was having horrible financial problems.

Let's not forget PV, from whence you came!!!!!!!!!

Well its easy for the great PV to say that......when your being feed from the "masters" hand. Ever since them white folks took you under their arms, you seem to boost. I can remember not too long ago (before Texas A&M came to the rescue)......PV was having horrible financial problems.

You are right. And lets discuss some of them.

Panther Fan, Do you know about the denial of funds withheld from PV by Texas A&M? They give their other Universities Millions of Dollars but PV Gets the Minority of it. They(A&M) say this is based on enrollment of the school but PV has a higher enrollment then some other Universities in the A&M system but not the funds.

Talking about Controversy.

:D

Exactly.

Please, let us stick to the topic and not stray off the subject. This is a very serious subject and it's not meant to be turned into something between ourselves.

Thanks.

Sorry Y'all,
It is soo easy to talk about PVU. Esp. if you are a TSU TIGER!!!!!
We know all their little dirty secrets.

:D

Back