Texas Southern (Proud Bunch) vs Florida State

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida State newcomers Diego Romero and Ralph Mims combined for 35 points in a season-opening 71-62 victory Friday over Texas Southern.

Romero, a junior college transfer playing his first game in two seasons, scored 18 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead the Seminoles (1-0). Mims, a freshman guard, added 17 points and seven rebounds.

Two free throws by Sean Walker pulled Texas Southern to within 71-67 with 4:28 to play, before Mims finished off a 5-0 run for the Seminoles. His driving layup with 46 seconds to play for a 66-57 lead finished off the Tigers (0-1).

Romero connected on 5 of 6 shots from the floor and 7 of 11 from the free throw line, and freshman point guard Isaiah Swann added eight points for the Seminoles.

Walker led Texas Southern with 18 points.

Florida State threatened to run away with the game midway through the second half, opening up a 50-36 lead. The Tigers countered with 11 unanswered points, capped by Justin Wilson's 3-pointer, to get within 50-47, but the Tigers could never get closer.

Texas Southern's Wilson finished with 14 points and six rebounds, while Mike Sneed had 10 points and seven rebounds.

I don't know how good Florida St. (ACC) will be this year, but we had a good showing on Friday night. Our freshman, Justin Wilson (5-9") had 14 points and 6 9 rebounds.

Last year we averaged eighteen turnovers, last night we had only thirteen against an ACC school. I'm not sure, but I think we shot in the low 70's (percent) from the freethrow line. The last two years we shot somewhere in the mid 60's from the free throw line.

Back