Texas Southern President Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you all think TSU would be better off without Slade? What is a reasonable resolution for these allegations?

NASTYNUPE said:
Do you all think TSU would be better off without Slade? What is a reasonable resolution for these allegations?

Its a no win situation for TSU.

I think either way there will be some sort of backlash. If Slade is fired alot of people will say that it was unjust and that the Board of Regents had an agenda. If she is retained, TSU would lose in the court of public opinion because there are many who've seen the headlines and have already convicted Slade. By retaining her, the whole corruption association that plagued TSU before will continue with a new target. That may be detrimental to fundraising efforts.

GSUTIGER95 said:

The HBCU Administrative atmosphere has become politically charged in evey aspect.

It has always been politically charged.

the band fan said:

Mighty Dog..from TSU's perspective...you got folks on these board of regent positions appointed by folks who don't have the best interests of the schools...the ones that have an interest have their own agendas and use it as a power trip while others are just there due to an appontment

This is so true.

Storm96 said:

I think either way there will be some sort of backlash. If Slade is fired alot of people will say that it was unjust and that the Board of Regents had an agenda. If she is retained, TSU would lose in the court of public opinion because there are many who've seen the headlines and have already convicted Slade. By retaining her, the whole corruption association that plagued TSU before will continue with a new target. That may be detrimental to fundraising efforts.

This basically sums it all up. This is the ultimate reason of our (TSUNAA) approach to the matter.

Storm96 said:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: This is so true.... I have not convicted her on this matter but I have an opinion...... I just think that someof this stuff could have came out of her own pocket....

Re: Texas Southern President Under Fire

Dr West said:
I think another BIG problem our schools have is rearing its ugly head in this thread: messy people.

Frankly, I don't think it is any of my business, any of our business what went on behind a closed door meeting or how Dr. Slade "acted" within the sanctuary of her house of worship.

Let's stay focused and save the trifling inquiries for the same trash heap from whence they originated.

If it isn't your business, then don't read it. If I see her in her house of worship or anywhere else and I want to make a comment, I can, will, and don't give a dog's piss what you think about it, heah! Now take that to your "trash heap mammy"!

the band fan said:
Basically, she read the written response over the radio....Sylvester Turner moderated the show and asked the questions...Slade rarely diverted from the issue at hand.

if you were looking to hear something groundbreaking, this wasn't the show..like I said earlier...sounds like she's discussing the issues she has documentation to clear herself...

but she did mention some items at the house were purchased for security reasons though....

I was not looking for groundbreak. I was referring to you saying Kirbyjon Hines Caldwell called into the show. I wanted to know more about his comment. Thanks for responding! ;)

C-LeB28 said:
Slade Defies Texas Southern's Board By Going Public

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3790795.html

I think Dr. Slade should be allowed to defend herself. They've already listed items in news reporsts that SEEM negative towards her, yet they tell her to be quiet. I would have taken her stance and defended myself as well. They've all but hung her by releasing the reports and yet for her to sit idly by whilst they drag her name through the mud....I don't know. I could not do it.

I was listening to KCOH coming into work this morning and Dr. Slade was getting blasted by the callers regarding yesterday's broadcast.

Basically it went like this, Dr. Slade broadcast was purchased air time. The radio host of KCOH, Michael Harris was not allowed to ask Dr. Slade any questions "AT ALL". The show was scripted and hosted by Sylvester Turner. All calls in were carefully screened and no confrontational calls were allowed in.

The callers this morning into the show were very upset that the black public leaders with Dr. Slade were supporting her.

This has gotten very ugly and I wish TSU the best......

TruBluJAG said:
I was listening to KCOH coming into work this morning and Dr. Slade was getting blasted by the callers regarding yesterday's broadcast.

Basically it went like this, Dr. Slade broadcast was purchased air time. The radio host of KCOH, Michael Harris was not allowed to ask Dr. Slade any questions "AT ALL". The show was scripted and hosted by Sylvester Turner. All calls in were carefully screened and no confrontational calls were allowed in.

The callers this morning into the show were very upset that the black public leaders with Dr. Slade were supporting her.

This has gotten very ugly and I wish TSU the best......

This is no different than what the Chronicle's article stated this morning.

Again, I reiterate, this is the ultimate reason of our (TSUNAA) approach to the matter.

After reading Dr. Slade's comments I would like to see more Presidents and ADs tell what really happened. Most of these folks are abused trying to meet the personal demands of political appointees. When someone is trying to demand more football tickets than they are allowed at these classics, the President and AD are held accountable. Believe me folks this may be a small issues, but it does happened. Everyone feels important and some things cannot be helped.

Cleb, I wish you and your school nothing but the BEST as you weather this storm!! We certainly know how the reputation of your school is hurt by the actions of one or a few.

Additionally, I want to say this: African Americans in any sort of high level position are held to a greater standard than whites. We can't do what our white counterparts do. What really got to me is that this all began when a white Board member noticed the "nice" furniture in her house. :redhot: It's that plantation mentality we face all the time...nig gas must being doing something wrong if they drive a certain kind of car, travel internationally, send their kids to expensive private schools, dress in expensive clothing and shoes and God forbid if they have nicely furnished homes. WTF? :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

I have set many a whitefolk straight about making assumptions about what I got and what I do! :smash:

I surely hope that the people judging her will be fair, not envious, which is something blackfolk do all the time. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm giving her the benefit of doubt and I'm pulling for her.

Kema: HIGH FIVE hea? :tup:

Seeing Spots said:
What really got to me is that this all began when a white Board member noticed the "nice" furniture in her house.

The board member was not white. The board member was a black female that happens to be a TSU grad and from what I know about her a strong TSU supporter .

$Bill said:
The board member was not white. The board member was a black female that happens to be a TSU grad and from what I know about her a strong TSU supporter.

AND TO FURTHER SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT:

Yes, she is a strong supporter. Both her and her husband Paul Griffin (International President of Phi Beta Sigma) are Texas Southern alums who are lifetime members of TSUNAA and members of our Dallas Chapter. Their daughter is a current student at Texas Southern. It is because of her love for Texas Southern that she called the chairman to inquire if this was appropriate.

HOWEVER, what happened AFTER she communicated this to the chairman is where the problem lies.

Re: Texas Southern President Under Fire

J4J said:
If it isn't your business, then don't read it. If I see her in her house of worship or anywhere else and I want to make a comment, I can, will, and don't give a dog's piss what you think about it, heah! Now take that to your "trash heap mammy"!

Reads like a "holler" ... I thnk someone was "hit."

Re: Texas Southern President Suspended(soon to be fired)

Regents vote to fire TSU president

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Priscilla Slade's seven-year run as president of the state's largest historically black university headed to an end tonight when Texas Southern University regents voted to fire her on the grounds that she misspent school money.

Slade's contract guarantees her the right to a public hearing before the firing becomes official and her attorney said she plans to request one. The hearing must be scheduled within a month.

The regents' decision comes two months after TSU's governing board began looking into Slade's use of university money to furnish and landscape a $1 million-plus home she built near Memorial Park last year. <font color="red">An internal audit released earlier this month concluded that Slade spent nearly $650,000 over the last seven years on maid services, car repair bills, improvements to her former home and other expenses not allowed under her contract.</font>

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3798777.html

TSU did the right thing in my opinon. Our leaders have to be held accountable no matter what others may be getting away with at other schools.

What Slade did was wrong. She may be a great person but she needs to be held accountable for placing TSU in this position in the first place. It would look very bad on TSU's part to let her stay at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back