Texas Southern enrollment now at 10,514

tsugraytiger

This is the highest number since 2006. We're officially the largest school in the SWAC and among the top 5 in the nation. What made the difference in my opinion is that I noticed we created stronger partnerships with community colleges in the region which I love.

I honestly feel more poor and ill-prepared students should do 2 yrs at a community college b/c it's cheaper and there are less distractions on campus then transfer to a 4-yr university. I went to a community college for two summers and had a great experience for half the price.

But yeah this is great news considering we've been down in enrollment for a long time. We should be over 15K one day soon.

Source: TSU President's Newsletter

Last edited:

Dr. Lane has set an ambitious goal of 15,000 students by 2020. It will be interesting to see the upward trend confinue with anywhere from four to six semesters to get it done.

It sounds ambitious but it's really not considering the number of high school graduates in Texas especially have grown tremendously. And also almost all Texas universities were seeing great growth while we were declining (UH grew by like 10K in only a couple of years). I just hope they don't loosen admission standards to increase enrollment just for the namesake of being the largest HBCU in the nation.

Everybody knows I loved my time at TSU, but I would be less than honest if I said I wasn't annoyed with the low level of intellect and work ethic of my most of my classmates. Back in my day, TSU had open admissions which killed the reputation of the university. Most of the students were there for all the wrong reasons and were unmotivated, of course they eventually dropped out but they were just a distraction and should've never been allowed in. I would love to see Texas Southern become the Texas equivalent of FAMU or Howard .... historically black universities that's highly ranked and respected and attracts a lot of top notch black students. It can happen ... I'm happy with the direction we're headed (I wasn't when I was a student).

Last edited:
Back