Sweet 16: Xavier guard Malcolm Bernard had to leave FAMU to flourish

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
By Nick Birdsong

Two and through.

That’s typically the path of historically black colleges and universities in the NCAA Tournament. The Mid-Eastern Conference and Southwestern Athletic Conference champions arrive to the Big Dance with much of the same fanfare as the other one-bid conferences only to be ousted before the party really gets jumping.

Unfortunately, the 2016-17 campaign was no different.

North Carolina Central, the best shooting team in the MEAC, connected on just 35.8 percent of its field goal attempts in a 67-63 First Four loss against UC Davis. SWAC champion Texas Southern got fed to No. 1 North Carolina in the first round of the South Regional and promptly suffered its largest defeat of the season.

But with the Sweet 16 set to tipoff Thursday, there’s still something, or rather someone, to pay attention to for those with ties to HBCUS. Xavier senior guard Malcolm Bernard is a Florida A&M alumnus. The Miami native, whose college hoops career began at Charleston Southern, graduated from FAMU this past May. He decided to transfer to Xavier, pursue a master’s degree and immediately play out his final year of college eligibility.

https://hbcusports.com/2017/03/21/s...alcolm-bernard-had-to-leave-famu-to-flourish/

Quick editing note, FAMU last participated in the NCAA Tournament in 2007(if we're counting Play-In games)

Other than that, Bernard was a heck of a player for FAMU, but he was without help. Samuels had three of his top scorers transfer out of the program three years in a row. That shows me that players didn't vibe with the head coach. Even Bernard said that he love the assistants and hoped that they could rub off on the head coach...that speaks volumes for how bad things were within the FAMU men's basketball program.

Quick editing note, FAMU last participated in the NCAA Tournament in 2007(if we're counting Play-In games)

Other than that, Bernard was a heck of a player for FAMU, but he was without help. Samuels had three of his top scorers transfer out of the program three years in a row. That shows me that players didn't vibe with the head coach. Even Bernard said that he love the assistants and hoped that they could rub off on the head coach...that speaks volumes for how bad things were within the FAMU men's basketball program.

Yep, sure did. Thanks for the correction.

I remember him. Him and another graduate transfer from Norfolk State I believe faced off on TV a while back.

Some of the talking heads brought this up today on ESPN saying that the grad transfer rule that once was a positive has turned bad because coaches from big programs are actively recruiting players from smaller programs for quick fixes (see Xavier which has been a solid top 25 program for a while)

We saw one downside to that last year with Louisville getting two grad transfers and then self imposed themselves right out of the postseason screwing those two players

Back