SWAC West baseball

the band fan

Baseball Fan
the SWAC West will be a toss-up for the 2nd seed....unless SU melts down, they will get first (they have 1 year before it evens out all the way because they used their world series trips to outduel teams for kids)

as for second, Grambling appears weaker this year, UAPB improved a little, TSU has continued to hang around and now Prairie View has jumped out of nowhere and doing some damage.

anyway, I was at McGregor the other day and TSU and PV split during day 1....PV won game 3 (10-7) and TSU squandered a 10-run lead and PV leads 16-15 in the top of the 7th before postponement due to bad field conditions (another thread another day)

the weekend TSU-PV series at PV will have a nice draw..more will be on the line. Might charge admission (donations).

as of now (SWAC records)

UAPB 3-1 (plays PV friday)
PV 2-1
TSU 1-2 (SU this weekend)
GSU 1-3
SU 0-0 (won't start until Friday)

as for the east, Valley was thought of to run away with things but they split with AAMU in day 1...bounced back and won to go 3-1.

black college baseball website is my source for a lot of info outside of PV and TSU.

Originally posted by the band fan
the SWAC West will be a toss-up for the 2nd seed....unless SU melts down, they will get first (they have 1 year before it evens out all the way because they used their world series trips to outduel teams for kids)

as for second, Grambling appears weaker this year, UAPB improved a little, TSU has continued to hang around and now Prairie View has jumped out of nowhere and doing some damage.

anyway, I was at McGregor the other day and TSU and PV split during day 1....PV won game 3 (10-7) and TSU squandered a 10-run lead and PV leads 16-15 in the top of the 7th before postponement due to bad field conditions (another thread another day)

the weekend TSU-PV series at PV will have a nice draw..more will be on the line. Might charge admission (donations).

as of now (SWAC records)

UAPB 3-1 (plays PV friday)
PV 2-1
TSU 1-2 (SU this weekend)
GSU 1-3
SU 0-0 (won't start until Friday)

as for the east, Valley was thought of to run away with things but they split with AAMU in day 1...bounced back and won to go 3-1.

black college baseball website is my source for a lot of info outside of PV and TSU.

TBF, you might not want to get so sure of yourself just yet. Cador has alot of kids you have no idea about who is heading SU's way next year. Remember like I said, Weeks was from another baseball hot bed called Florida. Got some Cali kids coming too. Actually SU will be even better next year than this one. Remember I said that. I know you think as long as you get Houston players to come to PV that will be enough to stop SU.

BTW, also look for GSU to start making some noise in baseball again. Just a little inside tidbit.

We will see how it will all play out. Time will tell.

SU is the #1 SWAC baseball program arguably #1 HBCU baseball program and until they are dethrone. Their records and accolades speaks for themselves.

One thing I know for sure. SU sweep through the Eastern Division and the conference will not be as easy as years past. In my opinion, that is a good thing for the conference.

Prairie View A&M's athletics programs are moving in a positive direction. You can no longer pencil in an easy win against most of the programs. That includes the baseball program. One could feel the buzz and energy around McGregor Park baseball field on Saturday and Sunday.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
We will see how it will all play out. Time will tell.

SU is the #1 SWAC baseball program arguably #1 HBCU baseball program and until they are dethrone. Their records and accolades speaks for themselves.

One thing I know for sure. SU sweep through the Eastern Division and the conference will not be as easy as years past. In my opinion, that is a good thing for the conference.

Prairie View A&M's athletics programs are moving in a positive direction. You can no longer pencil in an easy win against most of the programs. That includes the baseball program. One could feel the buzz and energy around McGregor Park baseball field on Saturday and Sunday.

J, those are some excellent points. We are going through growing pains. But we are growing.

For the first time since I, then a high school sophomore, saw my high school play a game, I will probably see a baseball game in person.

It's good to see pv feeling they can compete but a word of caution just because your team may be better than last years team doesn't equate to competing. Most schools don't have a clue as to what it takes to survive a baseball season, it's not like football or basketball.

Bluedog,

It's good to see pv feeling they can compete but a word of caution just because your team may be better than last years team doesn't equate to competing. Most schools don't have a clue as to what it takes to survive a baseball season, it's not like football or basketball.

Well, I am confident in what I know Prairie View A & M University's athletic director, Charles has done as well as what he has planned in regards to building towards a baseball program that can compete in the SWAC as well as against other NCAA Division I programs down the line.

I think it will be good for the SWAC to have more competative baseball teams like it used to be. I do think Cador MLB connections really help us out. If he was not at SU then I would worry. He just hears about players that the other SWAC coaches have no clue about. Having played baseball growing up, I know this is a sport that you really have to have folks who know baseball working/networking for you. It's not like football or basketball where it is more visible, especially amongst the blacks. Baseball most times is an after thought for our alums and fans. We'll call the coach , the AD and anybody else that will listen if we see a football or basketball prospect that we might can sign. I know in talking to Cador it aint that easy, especially with a little budget. Even though he has folks who call him constantly, sometimes it takes that right connection. That's how we landed Weeks. Cador's connections have taken him years to build just like Bob Braddy had when was at JSU. Look how their program took a hit when he moved up to AD and of course retired.

I hope all the SWAC teams start putting money and support in the other sports besides Football. Time will tell if SU will be caught in the SWAC in baseball soon. This year will be the year to do it if any. Which will not be easy. After this one. I am willing to bet that the next 2-3 will be hard as heck to stop Cador based on what I know. This year's team is really the transition year. If you can call it that.

Should be an interesting season.

FYI,

I attended the game on yesterday against Nicholls State. Before the game, the parents of Rickie Weeks presented Coach Cador and Southern University with a $10,000 check for the baseball program.

IWJNSU,

FYI,

I attended the game on yesterday against Nicholls State. Before the game, the parents of Rickie Weeks presented Coach Cador and Southern University with a $10,000 check for the baseball program.

Nice, very nice!!

TBF, you might not want to get so sure of yourself just yet. Cador has alot of kids you have no idea about who is heading SU's way next year. Remember like I said, Weeks was from another baseball hot bed called Florida. Got some Cali kids coming too. Actually SU will be even better next year than this one. Remember I said that. I know you think as long as you get Houston players to come to PV that will be enough to stop SU.

we know how Cador gets that talent, his scouts..and who we are relying on Houston? :confused: PV has several scouts out there also...we have a starter from California who was recommended on the advice of a scout...same with an outfielder from Dallas and the outfielder from Colorado. Cador is also hanging in Houston, has about 7 guys from there...a lof of them are strictly potential because they are not playing. Our freshman are playing.

BG...we gave them the game but we make small steps before we can walk. last year, NAIA owned us. But playing JUCOs unless it is San Jac won't help build anything either.

. Most schools don't have a clue as to what it takes to survive a baseball season, it's not like football or basketball.

pad your schedule accordingly..have enough pitchers available and have a 35-40 man roster is some the keys. we competed last year with 16 guys. A lot of you non-Houstonians forget that the coach we have took a inner-city team to the Texas state tournament....that's work in itself.

It's good to see PV and others improve in baseball.

Agreeing with JR, I wish our conference schools and alumni would put more into this sport. Baseball has a great chance of becoming a huge sport for the SWAC. If we all upgrade our facilities, then we could invite schools from known conferences (ie Big 12, Big 10, Conf. USA, ACC) to our fields. Our school locations help and many northern schools want to come down in the early months (Kansas vs. TSU). By adding schools from big name conferences would increase our individual and conference rating. Some schools may not come, but the mediocre schools (Penn St., Mich. St., Vanderbilt, Maryland, Kentucky, TCU, K-State, etc.) may show. And these are schools we can(should) dominate. And because of their conference affiliation and schedule, a victory agnst. these teams only booster our strength of schedule.

If everyone increase their schedules (SU included) we may have a possibility to put more than the conference champion into the playoffs in the near future. If the Southland can, the SWAC most certainly can.

Also, I believe we need to change our schedule format and tourney format. The East and West division should stay the same. But, I think the teams should play a 3-game weekend instead of a 4-game weekend. By playing a 3-game (9 innings/game) weekend, we reduce the # of conf. games thus allowing more non-conf. games in which we can strengthen our schedule. Think about it, reduce the # of divisional games by 1 and you still only play 1 inning less. Next, I would like the conference tourney pushed back 2 weeks. This will keep the playoffs participants from being rusty.

Good luck to all teams. SU looks like the SU of 2K. But that team won their division. This team is still working on pitching and fielding, but they're hungry. It's 1 thing to hear about and remember previous championships, but it's another to have your own. These new kids want a ring for themselves.

Time will tell if anyone has caught up with Cador.

Cador has 1 year to scare folks with the name SU but he may be challenged to the brink this year. A minor victory for any school in the West is the beat them twice and that's all the confidence they need ging into next year. I don't doubt his coaching because he has won with less talent on the national scale.

as for facilities, PV will have one of the nicest very soon..the field is one of the best in the SWAC but the exterior needs work. They will have a grandstand in the very near future.

as for TSU, they had to rent UH to get Kansas..McGregor Park isn't a collegiate field. It inflates averages with that short left field.

SU lost 14-2 to SE Louisiana....

I think this year's SU team will have some ups and downs...good SWAC team but average against quality competition. But losing half the team to the major leagues does that.

I think this year's SU team will have some ups and downs...good SWAC team but average against quality competition. But losing half the team to the major leagues does that.
:lmao:

I'm not sure what Coach Cador did yesterday but the first 4 games he used a lot of different arm. He is in an evaluation mode right now looking for the right rotation. How good is S.U. this year? Time will tell........

they have a pitcher who was supposed to come to PV but switched at the late hour....kid hasn't even thrown a ball yet in a game and Cador said he has the best potential on the staff :confused:

Jaguar94, This is the best damn quote on baseball since I've been here! The freakin baseball quote of the season!

Agreeing with JR, I wish our conference schools and alumni would put more into this sport. Baseball has a great chance of becoming a huge sport for the SWAC. If we all upgrade our facilities, then we could invite schools from known conferences (ie Big 12, Big 10, Conf. USA, ACC) to our fields. Our school locations help and many northern schools want to come down in the early months (Kansas vs. TSU). By adding schools from big name conferences would increase our individual and conference rating. Some schools may not come, but the mediocre schools (Penn St., Mich. St., Vanderbilt, Maryland, Kentucky, TCU, K-State, etc.) may show. And these are schools we can(should) dominate. And because of their conference affiliation and schedule, a victory agnst. these teams only booster our strength of schedule.

If everyone increase their schedules (SU included) we may have a possibility to put more than the conference champion into the playoffs in the near future. If the Southland can, the SWAC most certainly can.

Also, I believe we need to change our schedule format and tourney format. The East and West division should stay the same. But, I think the teams should play a 3-game weekend instead of a 4-game weekend. By playing a 3-game (9 innings/game) weekend, we reduce the # of conf. games thus allowing more non-conf. games in which we can strengthen our schedule. Think about it, reduce the # of divisional games by 1 and you still only play 1 inning less. Next, I would like the conference tourney pushed back 2 weeks. This will keep the playoffs participants from being rusty.

TBF,
Cador is not scaring anyone, just recruiting, teaching, and winning. Other schools feel they can't compete without trying. So far this year, we have been getting our butts handed to us. But in every game, he has used multiple pitchers and multiple fielders. Weather and scheduling has not helped. SU went 2 weeks w/out a game and 1 was rained out.

As far as pitchers not being used, one of our top freshmen of 2K2 has not pitched a game since 2K2. These next 2 weeks will tell how strong this years' team will be.

As far as facilities, so what if TSU rented, at least a large named "school" came to H-Town to play. Didn't PV play OK State a few years back? And when PV completes the grandstand, large "named" schools should be there also.

Right now, the "westside" looks to be 1) SU, 2) PV, 3) TSU, 4) UAPB, and 5) GSU. SU does not like the SU of the previous years but they are still a strong team. With a number of newcomers and freshmen on the team, this may be the for teams to take advantage.

Bruh ya'll need to can it on the predictions, it's waaaay to early to know anything about anyone other than the fact the championship comes through SU.

I don't want to put my baseball program in a hole by renting a facility, that's a non-revenue sport for now.

we won 10-0, 10-8 today...TSU is at SU

poor Candy :bawling:

his program is reeling and he has been equaled in only 2 years by PV. Problem is, they don't lack talent...

Back