SWAC Tournamen In Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Locals must support tourney for success

Originally posted by mighty hornet

The thing is Bham is being bashed now because of the low attendance this year. But the teams who made it to Bham were both Texas teams, Valley and Alcorn. Face it, none of those are close to Bham, so none of them will have a large amount of fans or the locals won't necessarily be interested. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that this would be any different for any other city mentioned on here. If the tourney was in Houston and the Alabama or Mississippi schools made the finals, do you honestly expect attendance to be sky high???

That's why I say bring the tournament to Houston. We have more alums from all the schools in the SWAC than any other city the tournament has been in. When u add the alums thats already here, whit the fans that each school bring in, plus the fans who would go to the game just to support the conference. I think we would have a better turn out in Houston.

I wish we could send our conference champ too. The conference champ represent our best team, not the team that got lucky for three games.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Texas Southern Fan
I wish we could send our conference champ too. The conference champ represent our best team, not the team that got lucky for three games.

oh really ? ...so your saying TSU wasn't better then pv...please :slap:

look the facts are that the tourney did better in baton rouge and all of the hater's kept whining that it was giving SU an advantage so they moved it.
even when tsu/jsu won the fans came to support the game at an average between 4,500-6,000
now this is what we have...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Officials: Pat Adams(R), Tim Marion(U1), Pat Evans(U2)

Technical fouls: Alcorn State-None. Prairie View A&M-RILEY,Roderick.

Attendance: 1386

Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total

Alcorn State.................. 42 29 - 71

Prairie View A&M.............. 37 27 - 64

Alcorn State will face the winner of the Miss. Valley State-Texas Southern

on Sat., Mar. 15 at 5:30 pm CST in the championship game.

Officials: Larry Britton (R), Melanie Davis, Cedric Jordan

Technical fouls: Texas Southern-None. Mississippi Valley-NEAL,Willie.

Attendance: 1135

Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total

Texas Southern................ 41 32 - 73

Mississippi Valley............ 39 33 - 72

2003 SWAC Men's Final: Alcorn State vs. Texas Southern

can't comment on houston its never been there,but the bottomline is there is proof what works.
stop hatin and do whats best for the conf. until we get stronger, the fact of the matter this is a college town and people here enjoy and support sports.

What was the attendance like in 95 and 96 when SU was out of the tournament? That's what I thought. We should do the right thing and bring the tournament back to Houston

What was the attendance like in 94 and 95 when SU was out of the tournament? That's what I thought. We should do the right thing and bring the tournament back to Houston

Damn do any of you use that piece of paper you got?..re-read my post up top. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What was the attendance like in 94 and 95 when SU was out of the tournament? That's what I thought. We should do the right thing and bring the tournament back to Houston

Typical bull Sh*T

I remember that tournament very well; it was my first SWAC Tournament. We played SU that Saturday, the arena was packed, SU went up by ten in the first half. Then the Tigers from TSU went to work. The game was over before it was over; Anthony Jones (junk man) went to work on SU.

I also remember the SWAC Finals that Sunday; I had a section all to myself, not a row.

What does everyone have against Houston?

I've only missed one tournament since 95; the first year itwas moved to Birmingham.

Some History

In 1997 and 1998 the tournament moved to Dallas, TX (I thought was a good city). The fist year the tournament was in a high school gym, the following year it was at a convention center. Neither arena was anything to brag about, but the nightlife was great. The second year that ?First Friday? party was off the hook. Jackson St. won in 97 and PV won in 1998. Both years SU didn?t get out of the 1st round.

In 1999, Baton Rudy mysteriously moved the tournament back to Baton Rouge, this time on SU campus. Never the less, SU made it to the finals, but loss to Alcorn.

In 2000 the tournament went to Biloxi, JSU won the tournament again; the tournament has been in Birmingham ever since.
own Baton Rouge is like a ghost town.

My two cents worth. The basketball tournament as well as the football championship should employ some of the strategies utilized by the The Bayou Classic. They must become events. The games are simply part of the events. Parties, golf tournaments, shopping spree's, tours. The SWAC office must step outside of the box, perhaps a marketing or promotions firm should be enlisted to assist with this endeaver. Southwest airlines is a sponsor of the SWAC Basketball tourney, they should offer special tourney packages. Another thing to consider is the overall perception of the arena where the tournament is played. The locals might not want to come to this venue. Perhaps we should try playing in the downtown arena or UAB's arena.

Well it just seem that the SWAC those not want the good court in Birmingham
The bjcc
we just held the fist two rouds of The Men March Madness

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
bluedog,

????? Shaking My Head!!!

Misinformation!!!

No mis anything just didn't remember, but now that i think about it yeah i remember that also.

I also remember that the reason it came back to baton rouge was that houston didn't want to ante up the money.
Because there was nobody there for the championship game

Originally posted by Texas Southern Fan I also remember the SWAC Finals that Sunday; I had a section all to myself, not a row.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Blu Panther
did it fill up in BR?

Damn reading is fundamental after all.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bluedog
look the facts are that the tourney did better in baton rouge and all of the hater's kept whining that it was giving SU an advantage so they moved it.
even when tsu/jsu won the fans came to support the game at an average between 4,500-6,000

I'm talking about 98 but we all know BR does not support much if SU is not in it. If SU does not qualify then what happens....disaster.

I'm not one for putting it on someone's home court anyway.

I'm talking about 98 but we all know BR does not support much if SU is not in it. If SU does not qualify then what happens....disaster.

I'm not one for putting it on someone's home court anyway.

Dang you kinda dumb huh? :confused:can't even comprehend after you read

there you go resorting to name calling, need I even waste my time breaking down a Jag and the corrupted things you all do.

Team captains selling weed.....classless

there you go resorting to name calling, need I even waste my time breaking down a Jag and the corrupted things you all do.

Team captains selling weed.....classless

What does that have to do with this discussion? Guess all of pv athletes are :angel2: :smh:

thanks for the compliment.....however back to task at hand

I wrote a letter to the Houston Sports Authority, hope it's answered.

thanks for the compliment.....however back to task at hand

I wrote a letter to the Houston Sports Authority, hope it's answered.

I also see you don't get none either...do you? :( and there's no name calling just an observation,if something has been explain to you and you continue not to get it.....well sounds like your kinda of a :retard: to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back