Swac Can Take Lessons On Scheduling From Famu

THAMES

I know the SWAC is going through some changes regarding scheduling, but Famu has the right idea. They are talking about 5 years in advance.

----------------------------------------------------------

Florida A&M Releases 2003 Football Schedule
January 10, 2003

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Dr. J.R.E. Lee III, Interim Director of Athletics at Florida A&M has released the 2003 football schedule with a lineup that will feature four home games, four Classic contests and a September 13 date with the University of Florida Gators in Gainesville.

FAMU's home slate will be a full card of Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference games with Morgan State (Sept. 6), Delaware State (Sept. 27), Howard University (Oct. 11) and Norfolk State (Oct. 25), for homecoming.

The Classic lineup includes a season-opening affair with Allabama State (Aug. 30) at Ford Field in Detroit; the annual Atlanta Football Classic with Tennessee State (Sept. 20); the Circle City Classic against Jackson State in Indianapolis (Oct. 4) and the Florida Classic in Orlando against Bethune-Cookman (Nov. 22).

In announcing the schedule, Dr. Lee revealed that the process was a difficult one. "What was most challenging was trying to take advantage of the 12th game for the financial benefits to the department, while arranging the schedule to the advantage of our team and our fans."

Getting teams to move games in order to complete the schedule, along with other shuffling of dates was necessary to making the final result come to pass, according to Dr. Lee.

"Some of the adjustments in the schedule, plus the inclusion of new opponents needed to be made when I took office, so it was a major undertaking to get schools to work with us this late in the game. In some cases, teams had to move important games in order to accomodate us," Lee said.

However, Lee was determined to release the 2003 slate as soon as it was finalized.

"By releasing the schedule in January, we hope to allow our fans to make plans to follow the team much earlier and at the same time begin our marketing and promotional efforts much earlier as well."

Lee also indicated that he planned to announce future schedules up to five years in advance by the late spring or early summer of this year.

2003 FLORIDA A&M UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE August 30 Alabama State* Detroit, MI
September 6 MORGAN STATE+ HOME
September 13 @University of Florida Gainesville, FL
September 20 Tennessee State** Atlanta, GA
September 27 DELAWARE STATE+ HOME
October 4 Jackson State# Indianapolis, IN
October 11 HOWARD+ HOME
October 18 @North Carolina A&T+ Greensboro, NC
October 25 NORFOLK STATE+ HOMECOMING
November 1 @Hampton+ Hampton, VA
November 15 @South Carolina State+ Orangeburg, SC
November 22 @Bethune-Cookman##+ Orlando, FL
[@]-Away Games; [+]-Conference Games; [*]-Detroit Classic, Ford Field,
[**]-Atlanta Football Classic, Georgia Dome[#]-Circle City Classic, RCA Dome
[##]-Florida Classic, Florida Citrus Bowl, Orlando, FL

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Part of FAMU's five-year schedule is rumored to be a deal to play Alabama State each year for the next five years in Mobile on Labor Day weekend.

I think that this is great on the part of their AD. It shows vision, planning and a forward thinking approach. More HBCU's should follow his lead.

WITH THE 4-3-2 PLAN IN EFFECT AND GOING BACK TO THE 11 GAME SCHEDULE IN 2004 DOESN'T GIVE SOME TEAMS MUCH OF A CHANCE TO MAKE LONG TERM PLANS. WITH ONLY 2 OUT OF CONFERENCE GAMES IN 2004 THOSE GAMES HAVE TO BE CHOSEN WISELY. THE FIGHT FOR "CLASSIC" MONEY WILL BECOME VERY IMPORTANT IN 2004.

Yup!!!

Things will be tight looking at future revenues, but what we probably have to realize is that there will be a ton of Div 1A schools being slapped back to Div 1AA and they will certainly be looking for quality opponents to also schedule.

Since we are more than likely about to be locked into playing each of our conference members, then we have to be selective about who we schedule home-away contracts with. I don't see anything wrong with FAMU's schedule. They are not doing anything but building a recruiting tool and a better way to prepare for opponents. A 5 year look into the future says "this is who we will be playing" and "where we will be travelling".

It's hard to tell who will be quality opponents in the future, but because we only have 3 games to "play with", we had better start taking advantage of some of the best possibilities...and I'm not talking Div. II teams, either!!!!

MACHIAVELLI,

WITH THE 4-3-2 PLAN IN EFFECT AND GOING BACK TO THE 11 GAME SCHEDULE IN 2004 DOESN'T GIVE SOME TEAMS MUCH OF A CHANCE TO MAKE LONG TERM PLANS. WITH ONLY 2 OUT OF CONFERENCE GAMES IN 2004 THOSE GAMES HAVE TO BE CHOSEN WISELY. THE FIGHT FOR "CLASSIC" MONEY WILL BECOME VERY IMPORTANT IN 2004.

You make a very valid point. But, I believe you also take into consideration that when most NCAA Division I A programs create 3 to 5 year long range schedules, usually it is created in such away that

1)It is noted as a tentative schedule. Meaning something may change here and there times, dates, and locations as well as even the team.

For example, just like the SWAC president council voted to mvoe to the 4-3-2 concept they can with a tentative schedule up to 2012. It can be called to vote by the presidents council and changed to a different format.

Another example of this is the contract that Jackson State University signed with Northwestern State University for six years. Althoughth the contract was originally written for the match-ups to start this year in 2002. It allowed for Northwestern State to wait a year to actually start the six game contract in 2003 because of an additional schedule opportunity for Northwestern State.

2)Usually a 3 to 5 year schedule will have the given conference games provided which do not change much with one or possible two non-conference games. The athletic director usually leaves the open date and the third or fourth non-conference game left open to allow for a small bit of manuevoring.

So, although I agree that you are correct that the new format of the SWAC will create a unique situation when comes to the Classic games. I do not believe that this scenario would prohibit an institution from placing together a tentative 3-5 year schedule.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)

So, although I agree that you are correct that the new format of the SWAC will create a unique situation when comes to the Classic games. I do not believe that this scenario would prohibit an institution from placing together a tentative 3-5 year schedule.

I JUST THINK 5 & 6 YEAR DEALS WITH A SCHOOL THAT YOU ARE NOT FORCED TO PLAY IS A BIT RISKY. UNLESS YOU HAVE A SWEET PLAN IN PLACE FOR PERCENTAGE INCREASES YEARLY.

MACHIAVELLI,

I JUST THINK 5 & 6 YEAR DEALS WITH A SCHOOL THAT YOU ARE NOT FORCED TO PLAY IS A BIT RISKY. UNLESS YOU HAVE A SWEET PLAN IN PLACE FOR PERCENTAGE INCREASES YEARLY.

Point well taken!!

Originally posted by THAMES
September 13 @University of Florida Gainesville, FL

Thumbs Up to FAMU! If you're going to play a PWC, play a Division 1-A School where you can make Big Bucks. :tup:

The Thing About FAMU and UF

The scheduling is obviously a two way street. UF has to come to the table and agree just as FAMU. That's refreshing to see. What pisses me off about Alabama is you rarely see this between the schools in our state. UA will never play UAB or Troy State much less ASU or AAMU, and the feeling is mutual so it goes both ways. Auburn has played UAB and is slated to play TSU, so maybe it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Auburn and ASU/AAMU would agree to play some day. UAB and Troy State are still small time and would gladly play ASU or AAMU, but that's not likely to happen in Alabama for various reasons. The last time TU played a PWC that I can remember was in the 80s when we played then Livingston University (no Univ of West Alabama). I'd like to see Tuskegee play UNA, Samford and Jax State over a 6-8 year period. I'd like to see ASU/AAMU play TSU/UAB/AU/UA, but neither of those scenario is likely in Alabama.

Re: The Thing About FAMU and UF

Originally posted by Bartram
The scheduling is obviously a two way street. UF has to come to the table and agree just as FAMU. That's refreshing to see. What pisses me off about Alabama is you rarely see this between the schools in our state. UA will never play UAB or Troy State much less ASU or AAMU, and the feeling is mutual so it goes both ways. Auburn has played UAB and is slated to play TSU, so maybe it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Auburn and ASU/AAMU would agree to play some day. UAB and Troy State are still small time and would gladly play ASU or AAMU, but that's not likely to happen in Alabama for various reasons. The last time TU played a PWC that I can remember was in the 80s when we played then Livingston University (no Univ of West Alabama). I'd like to see Tuskegee play UNA, Samford and Jax State over a 6-8 year period. I'd like to see ASU/AAMU play TSU/UAB/AU/UA, but neither of those scenario is likely in Alabama.

AAMU plays Troy State this year in Troy.

TSU vs AAMU??!!!!

AAMU plays Troy State this year in Troy.

WHAT??!! :flippy: ,,,,,,,,, I can't believe it. The aligning of the planets!! OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Was this the vacated ASU/TU opening?

I can't wait to see this clash. I haven't seen AAMU vs TSU. I'm there. GO AAMU!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back