SWAC Battle of the Bands: December 7th after the SWAC Championship Game

Re: BOTB Back at the SCG in Houston

Also, having a clear winner might get the bands to try and bring some real excitement back to the field shows.

Fukk a showcase.......gimme a winner and a loser. Bands want to be respected and treated like athletics, so break out the scoreboard. Have a real winner and a loser. Have true bragging rights....not just the mythical "we were better"...no, "we were better!"

I don't think any of them want to leave without being considered the 'winner".

I think the last time, the bands had to get themselves there. That is why all 10 did not come. I don't think PV and Grambling were there in 1999.

Glad we weren't there in 99! I was watching on tv and it looked boring for the bands that were there. I like the idea of the battle but just seems like its gonna be too damn long after the game.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

My issue is paying for all of these bands to travel. That will not be a trivial amount for the other 8 bands.

There really needs to be an incentive in order to make this worth the trouble ... like making this more than an exhibition and actually bringing in a team of evaluators from inside and outside the SWAC to determine a winner. We then have incentive and motivation for spectators to actually show-up and stay for the event.

Just the Swac's version of the Honda, 10 bands there to give a show.

Glad we weren't there in 99! I was watching on tv and it looked boring for the bands that were there. I like the idea of the battle but just seems like its gonna be too damn long after the game.

You mean because they had to sit there and watch the BOOM and the jukebox for 3.5 hours? LOL

~~~raising my hand~~~

Hello, my name is TMade, and I'm a 'SWAC SCG BOTB' hater.....

Unless the conference pulls the wool over a buncha corporate sponsors' eyes, I don't see this happening, even if they're announcing it now.. It takes a lot of money to keep band student in the dorms those extra days after the semester ends, and even more money for travel and hotel and meals. The reward isn't worth the risk. And what are we really getting? 8 to 10 bands giving us watered-down shows?? Who wants to hear the same tunes played over and over again. Who wants to see 10 dance routines, dancing off the same Drake/LilWayne hook. I have no desire to want to sit through 3-4 hours of bands blowing the same tunes and loud-ass chords.

Yeah, I'm a hater on this.... And wouldn't be there anyway...

~~~raising my hand~~~

Unless the conference pulls the wool over a buncha corporate sponsors' eyes, I don't see this happening, even if they're announcing it now.. It takes a lot of money to keep band student in the dorms those extra days after the semester ends, and even more money for travel and hotel and meals. The reward isn't worth the risk. And what are we really getting? 8 to 10 bands giving us watered-down shows?? Who wants to hear the same tunes played over and over again. Who wants to see 10 dance routines, dancing off the same Drake/LilWayne hook. I have no desire to want to sit through 3-4 hours of bands blowing the same tunes and loud-ass chords.

Me neither. And we will be in the stadium watching JSU play...but as soon as the game is over, I'm leaving. Aint no way I'm sitting in that stadium another 2.5 hours watching bands. :lol:

Me neither. And we will be in the stadium watching JSU play...but as soon as the game is over, I'm leaving. Aint no way I'm sitting in that stadium another 2.5 hours watching bands. :lol:

I love bands but I could not do this to myself LOL

~~~raising my hand~~~

T-Made, you have to realize that we are the old folks now mane! :lol: Like I said earlier, this ain't for us.

~~~raising my hand~~~

Unless the conference pulls the wool over a buncha corporate sponsors' eyes, I don't see this happening, even if they're announcing it now.. It takes a lot of money to keep band student in the dorms those extra days after the semester ends,

I don't think most dorms close until that Sunday. JSU has graduation that Saturday...the same day as the game so I doubt if the dorms close on Saturday too.

Last edited:

I think the crowd who would be there just to see the BOTB will come towards the middle/end of the game.

showcasing all 10 bands is a great idea, but somebody needs to come up with a creative and innovative way to do it, because I repeat again it could be a GREAT recruiting tool and exposure for the conference to help bring in money.

Lol! I mean its just seems boring to be in the band & your team isn't there.

I doubt if they were bored. They got to watch the two best bands and fan bases in the conference go at it...and again, they got to play before the game and battle in the stands.

I doubt if they were bored. They got to watch the two best bands and fan bases in the conference go at it...and again, they got to play before the game and battle in the stands.

That would SUck for the schools who are involved in the game. I know I wouldn't want to hear some other band besides the opponent play before the game.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Maybe they could have five or six performances before the game and the remaining bands after the game OR have a fan vote of the top five bands instead of inviting ALL ten.

Maybe they could have five or six performances before the game and the remaining bands after the game OR have a fan vote of the top five bands instead of inviting ALL ten.

that would be interesting

I'm sure that JSU and the West rep won't perform again after the game... only at halftime. JSU and SU didn't perform twice in Bham. I don't think 8 bands after the game is that much for people who like bands. If they limit it to 10 minutes shows, they can be done in two hours.

I'm sure that JSU and the West rep won't perform again after the game... only at halftime. JSU and SU didn't perform twice in Bham. I don't think 8 bands after the game is that much for people who like bands. If they limit it to 10 minutes shows, they can be done in two hours.

bruh JSU will definitely perform AFTER the game.

Not sure if this is a good idea with it being around graduation time.... How many bands will miss the event due to having to play at Fall graduation?

bruh JSU will definitely perform AFTER the game.

Not sure if this is a good idea with it being around graduation time.... How many bands will miss the event due to having to play at Fall graduation?

How many schools have Fall graduation?

I think JSU would have enough kids to play at graduation if the band goes to Houston. The only thing is that last year it was convenient to hold a special graduation on Friday for seniors in the band and football team because it was easy to get to Bham from Jackson. I'm not sure how that would happen and be able to get our players to Houston.

Have three pre-game contests involving six bands. Two bands per contest for 15-20 minutes. After the game, the remaining four bands can do the same thing.
The only thing is which bands to pit against each other.

I wouldn't mind seeing an East versus West matchup. PV's band against JSU. Texas Southern against Bama State. Southern versus Alcorn. Grambling versus Valley and PB versus AAMU as the first contest.
I haven't seen PV's band in a long time.

Have it interactive and let fans vote using twitter or something other mediums of the matchups they want to see and favorite songs they wanna hear played and etc.

Have three pre-game contests involving six bands. Two bands per contest for 15-20 minutes. After the game, the remaining four bands can do the same thing.

Only 8 bands will be in the showcase. The other two will perform at halftime.

Have three pre-game contests involving six bands. Two bands per contest for 15-20 minutes.

Cain't do it, JRobby... Teams hafta have an hour of pre-game warm-up and no more than 20-25 mins between the end of warm-up and kickoff.

Back