SWAC Battle of the Bands: December 7th after the SWAC Championship Game

Re: BOTB Back at the SCG in Houston

Nah. I think everyone wants to see a SU vs JSU battle although, if both make the Championship then those 2 will have the whole game to go at it. TxSU band will be there and PV but for some reason my 2nd favorite band behind the Juke is the Boom.

How was attendance the past 4-5 years for Honda? I haven't been since the Ocean performed and the crowd was good.

Since you have a "battle of the bands" after the game, some fans will not leave the game after halftime.

Just say it will be a bad idea because you hate bands and keep it moving sheesh lol

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......LOL

Folks in Houston don't want to see any bands but Southern U., Texas Southern and perhaps PV. It's a good idea though to compliment the game. Southern U. band will probably be there anyway after winning the SWAC West.......

I went to the Honda twice...the year before the Ocean and the following year when the Ocean "won" it.

How was attendance the past 4-5 years for Honda? I haven't been since the Ocean performed and the crowd was good.

Since a lot of the bands don't travel now because of finances. I was thinking have all the bands participate but if not have at least two additional bands for entertainment purposes.

I dont think that the fans voting is a good idea.

Why only two additional schools???

I think it will do that....especially the locals. You need more than participating schools' money to make this work. You have to get the locals to attend.

It's a definite attempt to snag the "casual fan". Take my wife, for example. She is forever traumatized from the 2009 SCG in the freezing rain in B'ham. She vowed she would never go back. But she loves H-town....and now with the addition of the BOTB, she already wants to go no matter who is playing!!!! So I guess mission accomplished for the SWAC....lol.

It worked for the first SCG.

I'm really not very sold on how much that really played in the attendance. JSU vs SU was a hot ticket back then especially after the 96, 97, 98 and 99 regular season battles! That 49K was actually a let down. :lol: JSU followed that up with 43K vs Grambling and there was no battle of the bands. One could easily assume that JSU vs SU instead of GSU would have hit 50K+ without a battle of the bands. It's a good idea to give everyone in the conference something to look forward to but I am not sure it will boost attendance too much. I hope it does tho. It might be a winner to the Houston area High Schools.

Since you have a "battle of the bands" after the game, some fans will not leave the game after halftime.

I doubt if I would stay to see the other bands but I still think it's a good idea. The last time, they had a pregame battle in the stands.

I think it's a good idea simply but hopefully the SWAC is making sure to make the best out of the event.

The so-called battle of the bands in '99 (first SCG) was WACK. :lol: The schools playing were SU and JSU, the game was off the chain...having the other bands in the stadium was stupid.

Personally I would like the BOTB to take place Friday night. People might not want to sit through an entire football game and then sit through 8 more bands perform. Also, will they let people in after the game that don't want to attend the game or will a person HAVE to attend the game in order to go to the BOTB? Or will there be a cut-off time for folks coming to the BOTB that don't want to be there for the game?

If there is a "cut-off" time to enter the stadium to force folks to attend the game, then thats a shakedown.......lol

I probably would have been excited about this 15 years ago.

I probably would have been excited about this 15 years ago.

We old now mane. I wasn't excited when it happened 15 years ago. I left right after the game. Well, being pissed about losing to the sorry SU team was part of the reason I wasn't in the mood but I still was not interested. I actually enjoyed the zero quarter of all the bands tho.

I think this is geared to HS students, women, and those who don't get to see HBCU's all the time. Even tho this is the internet age, most people don't watch halftime shows on the net just to be watching them.

We old now mane. I wasn't excited when it happened 15 years ago. I left right after the game. Well, being pissed about my sorry team losing to SU again was part of the reason I wasn't in the mood but I still was not interested. I actually enjoyed the zero quarter of all the bands tho.

I think this is geared to HS students, women, and those who don't get to see HBCU's all the time. Even tho this is the internet age, most people don't watch halftime shows on the net just to be watching them.

Fixed it for you TP. ~snicker~

I think it should be that Friday night, and maybe like a play around after the game, mega 5th quarter, because sitting through 8 field shows would be repetitive after a while. It would be a great recruiting tool for high school kids to see all 10 SWAC bands in action and great for the SWAC if we could market it effectively.

I don't want to see all 10 SWAC bands. After I see JSU, PVU, SU and UAPB... I'm good. You can cut the lights off then.

yeah but that was before the youtube age.......... It WILL get more people to the stadium... but not enough to justify paying all the bands to show up. Battle of the bands are like step shows... after you see a couple of bands perform it gets boring. Thats why most battle of the bands are going to the "face off" style battles instead of the field show battles.
My issue is paying for all of these bands to travel. That will not be a trivial amount for the other 8 bands.

There really needs to be an incentive in order to make this worth the trouble ... like making this more than an exhibition and actually bringing in a team of evaluators from inside and outside the SWAC to determine a winner. We then have incentive and motivation for spectators to actually show-up and stay for the event.

My issue is paying for all of these bands to travel. That will not be a trivial amount for the other 8 bands.

I think the last time, the bands had to get themselves there. That is why all 10 did not come. I don't think PV and Grambling were there in 1999.

There really needs to be an incentive in order to make this worth the trouble ... like making this more than an exhibition and actually bringing in a team of evaluators from inside and outside the SWAC to determine a winner. We then have incentive and motivation for spectators to actually show-up and stay for the event.

Also, having a clear winner might get the bands to try and bring some real excitement back to the field shows.

Fukk a showcase.......gimme a winner and a loser. Bands want to be respected and treated like athletics, so break out the scoreboard. Have a real winner and a loser. Have true bragging rights....not just the mythical "we were better"...no, "we were better!"

Last edited:
Back