SWAC B-Ball Tourney moves to $35 million Delmar Fieldhouse

Commissioner could not give a damn about the financial ramifications of holding tournament in toyota center. He was eating shrimps in the presidents box looking important. Its going to be a bit different eating popcorn on row 3 section L of Delmar stadium. Just a little different vibe. not as many selfies taken

TSU vs Southern, HPE Arena, SRO
10000 plus

I was at the game.

I was talking about games at the Toyota Center.

I don't know. Some older guys I eat breakfast with every Monday use to come to the tournament at Toyota. Toyota went ape-poop crazy with service charges on tickets even if you purchased them at the arena window. Parking was a big hindrance to attendance for the casual fan.

Also with them not having the entertainers at the end of the Championship Game may have also hindered attendance.

The tournament never should have been moved to an NBA facility in the first damn place. There is no piece of data that would have indicated that was a wise decision.

I still think that was a title sponsor decision. Toyota wanted to have it at their place.

They could have found other business partners to work with to do this if they wanted to. I bet Advocare & the Texans would have got involved since they are doing it for a Labor Day weekend game, a FCS rivalry game during the season and their own Bowl game.

Although it hasn't been said, I truly believe that they lost Toyota as a title sponsor for the SCG and the basketball tournament

They have..at least as of this posting they have.

Comprehensive survey??? Plus, New Orleans is more centrally located in the SWAC. The only SWAC schools close to Houston outside of the Texas are SU and GSU.

And Pine Bluff. LOL. Not that they travel to hard for basketball. I still thought the Gulfcoast of Ms was not a bad venue.

Reactions: J C
And Pine Bluff. LOL. Not that they travel to hard for basketball. I still thought the Gulfcoast of Ms was not a bad venue.

Gulf Coast would be nice due to its beaches. Lafayette and Alexandria would be nice since they are more centrally located for SWAC schools. I think the tournament should start small and build from there, not the other way around. If it gets to the level where each game attendance is 15k plus fans, then they need to start thinking about moving it to a NBA type facility (New Orleans or Houston).

Hold up! I thought Houston was the savior? Remember folks would come even if it wasn't their schools just because it was Houston? What happened?

If it gets to the level where each game attendance is 15k plus fans, then they need to start thinking about moving it to a NBA type facility (New Orleans or Houston).
That will never happen. Doesn't even happen in most major conference tournaments.

That will never happen. Doesn't even happen in most major conference tournaments.

In that case, we definitely don't need to be playing in a 19k plus seat NBA arena. I'll say 8k to 10k would be perfect.

Last edited:
The only conferences that draw good attendance numbers like that in an NBA arena are the Big East (MSG) and the Big Ten (Indy, Chicago, D.C.). The Pac-12 Tournament didn't draw well at Staples Center and it eventually moved to Vegas.

The only conferences that draw good attendance numbers like that in an NBA arena are the Big East (MSG) and the Big Ten (Indy, Chicago, D.C.). The Pac-12 Tournament didn't draw well at Staples Center and it eventually moved to Vegas.
you forgot the missouri valley. yeah, those mid-majors outdraw many P5 conferences.

Commissioner could not give a damn about the financial ramifications of holding tournament in toyota center. He was eating shrimps in the presidents box looking important. Its going to be a bit different eating popcorn on row 3 section L of Delmar stadium. Just a little different vibe. not as many selfies taken

Bwahahahahahaa

Troof!

you forgot the missouri valley. yeah, those mid-majors outdraw many P5 conferences.

What about the CIAA, don't they take over the Carolina's for their tournament.

What about the CIAA, don't they take over the Carolina's for their tournament.

They are several hours from here but I seem to remember them getting news coverage here (upstate sc) and their attendance looks good on tv at least.

Why you leave ACC out?

AVG. ATTENDANCE FOR ACC TOURNAMENT SINCE EXPANSION TO SIX SESSIONS
YEAR
VENUE
AVERAGE

'13
Greensboro Coliseum
'12
Philips Arena
'11
Greensboro Coliseum
'10
Greensboro Coliseum
'09
Georgia Dome
'08
Time Warner Cable Arena
'07
Tampa Bay Times Forum
'06
Greensboro Coliseum
'05
Verizon Center

Why you leave ACC out?

AVG. ATTENDANCE FOR ACC TOURNAMENT SINCE EXPANSION TO SIX SESSIONS
YEAR
VENUE
AVERAGE

'13
Greensboro Coliseum
'12
Philips Arena
'11
Greensboro Coliseum
'10
Greensboro Coliseum
'09
Georgia Dome
'08
Time Warner Cable Arena
'07
Tampa Bay Times Forum
'06
Greensboro Coliseum
'05
Verizon Center
I question those numbers. They list the exact same attendance for every game in the tournament, even the noon 1st round games.

Back