SWAC B-Ball Tourney moves to $35 million Delmar Fieldhouse

Don't know about larger crowds but it will be a better looking crowd in a smaller venue. The concession prices will be right and the free parking will help. It's not far from the Galleria area and other shopping and eating venues.

I think you were the first person I recall mentioning this venue. Issa great idea.

New Orleans would be great for the basketball tourney but since Houston lost football, no reason why bball cant stay there. We need to find a place for SCG.

Getting to Houston much cheaper and easier in comparison to what??? Airline prices??? I've flown into both cities several times and I really don't see that much of a difference in prices. Houston does have more options in airlines, but that's it. And how is it easier to drive to Houston when it is the farthest location for most SWAC schools??? Last I check, there are three major interstate highways leading to New Orleans (I-10, I-55, and I-59), whereas Houston only has two (I-10 and I-45) for now. It probably would be 20 years from now before I-69 is completed. Again, one or two PERSONAL factors is not the way to select a tournament site. Also, Amtrak has three routes going to New Orleans (Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, and Crescent), whereas Houston only has one (Sunset Limited). It would seem to me your theory about getting to Houston cheaper and easier is only based on your PERSONAL beliefs. It is hard for me to believe that Houston is the overall best site based on one or two PERSONAL factors, which seems to be the way individuals in the SWAC office continues to do business, very haphazardly. IMO, doing business haphazardly is called the SWAC office being lazy and incompetent.

While I love N.O. and would go to SWAC events there... On average it is cheaper for the fan to have any event in N.O. Plane ticket prices are close to the same on most airlines but other than that the cost of lodging and parking is way cheaper in Houston. N.O. is a better city for convenience, food (my opinion) and drinking (no contest). It really depends on preferences for the individual.

Also, venue-wise, Houston has more options, though Xavier's arena is much nicer than Delmar (which is very nice itself).

While I love N.O. and would go to SWAC events there... On average it is cheaper for the fan to have any event in N.O. Plane ticket prices are close to the same on most airlines but other than that the cost of lodging and parking is way cheaper in Houston. N.O. is a better city for convenience, food (my opinion) and drinking (no contest). It really depends on preferences for the individual.

Also, venue-wise, Houston has more options, though Xavier's arena is much nicer than Delmar (which is very nice itself).

Which is why the SWAC office needs to do its job and start putting together comprehensive plans that make LOGICAL sense, instead of basing their decisions on personal feelings.

Now we just need to find a way to save the SCG

They could have found other business partners to work with to do this if they wanted to. I bet Advocare & the Texans would have got involved since they are doing it for a Labor Day weekend game, a FCS rivalry game during the season and their own Bowl game.

Although it hasn't been said, I truly believe that they lost Toyota as a title sponsor for the SCG and the basketball tournament.

Getting to Houston much cheaper and easier in comparison to what??? Airline prices??? I've flown into both cities several times and I really don't see that much of a difference in prices. Houston does have more options in airlines, but that's it. And how is it easier to drive to Houston when it is the farthest location for most SWAC schools??? Last I check, there are three major interstate highways leading to New Orleans (I-10, I-55, and I-59), whereas Houston only has two (I-10 and I-45) for now. It probably would be 20 years from now before I-69 is completed. Again, one or two PERSONAL factors is not the way to select a tournament site. Also, Amtrak has three routes going to New Orleans (Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, and Crescent), whereas Houston only has one (Sunset Limited). It would seem to me your theory about getting to Houston cheaper and easier is only based on your PERSONAL beliefs. It is hard for me to believe that Houston is the overall best site based on one or two PERSONAL factors, which seems to be the way individuals in the SWAC office continues to do business, very haphazardly. IMO, doing business haphazardly is called the SWAC office being lazy and incompetent.

As long as we keep a pack of selfish, egotistical people on the Council of Presidents, the ones with the most power will not allow data driven decisions

Which is why the SWAC office needs to do its job and start putting together comprehensive plans that make LOGICAL sense, instead of basing their decisions on personal feelings.
Who says they are basing it on personal feelings? I think this is a financial decision.

We don't average 2000 a home game but expect 10k for a tournament game? Plain and simple, we don't care enough about basketball in this conference to have a successful basketball tournament.... Texas SO has ran this conference, hosted the tournament in their own city... and the tournament still has horrible numbers.

We don't average 2000 a home game but expect 10k for a tournament game? Plain and simple, we don't care enough about basketball in this conference to have a successful basketball tournament.... Texas SO has ran this conference, hosted the tournament in their own city... and the tournament still has horrible numbers.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Truth. Regardless of where the tourney is held, and the cost of the tickets, the tourney is not a draw like 20 years ago. With the exception of ppl on this board, who else is talking about the basketball tourney?

The best numbers came when Prairie View was in the finals.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Truth. Regardless of where the tourney is held, and the cost of the tickets, the tourney is not a draw like 20 years ago. With the exception of ppl on this board, who else is talking about the basketball tourney?
I don't know. Some older guys I eat breakfast with every Monday use to come to the tournament at Toyota. Toyota went ape-poop crazy with service charges on tickets even if you purchased them at the arena window. Parking was a big hindrance to attendance for the casual fan.

Who says they are basing it on personal feelings? I think this is a financial decision.

Financial decisions based on trial and error after realizing the bad decisions they made in the first place. If their decisions were more comprehensive, we might not be having this conversation.

Last edited:
I thought playing in a HS basketball arena in the Houston area for a league tournament was frowned upon... ??

I thought you would have posted this announcement the moment it became official.

Well, if it's stupid enough for the Southland to play in a high school facility it's stupid enough for the SWAC.

The tournament never should have been moved to an NBA facility in the first damn place. There is no piece of data that would have indicated that was a wise decision.

The tournament never should have been moved to an NBA facility in the first damn place. There is no piece of data that would have indicated that was a wise decision.

Not when the tournament has never reached the level of supporting NBA size crowds. Black folks are always trying to fly first class on a crop duster budget.

Back