SWAC Asst Interviews for Alabama St. AD job

From the Montgomery Advertiser...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWS/StorySportsasuad4o.htm

Sports - March 4, 2004 Montgomery, Alabama

Carter interviews for ASU job

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

Patrick Carter, the Southwestern Athletic Conference's associate commissioner of compliance, has interviewed for the athletic director position at Alabama State University.

"I feel like it would be a great step for me," Carter said. "That's what I got in this business for -- to become an AD or a commissioner."

Carter is apparently the only candidate to interview thus far for ASU's open position, but current interim athletic director Sonia Price, who is part of the search process, said she expected more interviews to follow.

Price said she wouldn't be one of those candidates.

"I never had any intentions of taking this job," Price said. "I took over because I was asked to do so on an interim basis. But that's it. I just want to go back to coaching (volleyball) and my position as (senior women's administrator)."

Price was present during Carter's visit to ASU and said he would be a tough candidate to beat.

"He was just outstanding," she said. "He's the ideal candidate in my opinion."

Price took over as interim AD in August when Richard Cosby quit after just seven months on the job to return to Stillman College -- which he left for ASU in January 2003.

Cosby and Price have dealt with one of the most tumultuous years in ASU history.

Cosby headed an eight-month investigation into the university's athletic department, which resulted in the suspension of head football coach L.C. Cole and the forfeiture of numerous games in softball and men's basketball.

Price took over in August and played a role in the firing of Cole. She sent a letter to ASU president Joe Lee recommending Cole's termination.

Both Price and Cosby drew harsh criticism from fans and alumni for their handling of the situation and both groups are still unhappy with the current leadership at ASU.

Still, Carter said he wants the job.

"All schools have problems," he said. "What's happened there really isn't much of a concern for me. From what I can tell, it's a pretty good position."

Carter, who has served as the associate commissioner for the SWAC for the past eight years, said ASU officials didn't tell him when they planned to make a decision or how many more candidates they planned to interview.

Price also said she wasn't aware of the number of candidates remaining or the time frame for a decision.

Olan Wesley, ASU's director of personnel office, which sets up all interviews, referred all questions on the matter to Lee.

Lee was attending a conference in Washington D.C. and was unavailable for comment.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back