SWAC as FBS

Wrong. FBS schools and conferences get more money than FCS from guarantee games AND post season. Ticket revenue has better potential also

you mean those bowl games that come on at 11am on random ass days in the middle of nowhere in front of 700 fans?

when the FBS expands the playoffs to include all conference champs then I’ll listen. Until then, why go to a division where only 4 teams make the playoffs out of 150, and if you aren’t P5, you’re just there for no reason?

Regarding a SWAC/FBS transition, the results wouldn't be too much different than now. We'd still be playing money games but now for more money, and teams that go 6-6 or better will go to a bowl game (12 game schedules, approx. 8 game conference schedules).

Most important part to keep in mind is we would still be playing together with each other instead of 1 or 2 schools trying to move up and into unfamiliar and unfriendly conferences.

All schools that go 6-6 will not be going to a bowl game. Also those lower tier Bowl games don't pay out like you think when you have to have ticket guarantied sales to those Bowl games which would take away from what they would pay you.

Wrong. FBS schools and conferences get more money than FCS from guarantee games AND post season. Ticket revenue has better potential also

FBS schools also have to pay out to those OOC home FBS/FCS games. Are we willing to do that or just be pimped by other FBS schools as money games.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
FBS schools also have to pay out to those OOC home FBS/FCS games. Are we willing to do that or just be pimped by other FBS schools as money games.

Again App State is the blueprint for this. They took those thumpings the first couple of years only to end up being a solid top 25 team last year. Take those $2 mil checks for a couple of years and then go from there.

We can always pay the MEAC teams, TnSU and Hampton to come in and play. We have a built in advantage when it comes to this

you mean those bowl games that come on at 11am on random ass days in the middle of nowhere in front of 700 fans?

when the FBS expands the playoffs to include all conference champs then I’ll listen. Until then, why go to a division where only 4 teams make the playoffs out of 150, and if you aren’t P5, you’re just there for no reason?
you are complaining about playoff structure but... we don't participate in the playoffs now. so what does it matter? what will change by moving up is we can offer more scholarships (so we are giving more young men & women an opportunity), we'll have the chance to hire good young coaches that want to compete at the fbs level, we'll be able to recruit better athletes, & we can demand more money when we hit the road against other fbs schools.

you are complaining about playoff structure but... we don't participate in the playoffs now. so what does it matter? what will change by moving up is we can offer more scholarships (so we are giving more young men & women an opportunity), we'll have the chance to hire good young coaches that want to compete at the fbs level, we'll be able to recruit better athletes, & we can demand more money when we hit the road against other fbs schools.
By 2030 when we do become an FBS conference, don't be surprised if the college football playoffs expands to 8. All the Power 5 champs and 3 at large teams with required at least one of them to be from the Group of 5 which we would be a part of. So we'd be getting that bowl money and playoff money.

Are you on DRUGS? Those bowl games pay GOOD money. Again, attendance and kickoff time DOES NOT MATTER compared to the check. Those are trinkets.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's amazing how willfully ignorant so many HBCU people are to the full landscape of college athletics.

Are you on DRUGS? Those bowl games pay GOOD money. Again, attendance and kickoff time DOES NOT MATTER compared to the check. Those are ***** trinkets.

I thought this was common knowledge. ESPN has come out on numerous occassions and said that they don't care about attendance (since they control over 2/3 of the bowl game market) but RATINGS. The Celebration Bowl rep has relayed this as well. We can brag about our FCS bowl game competing with a couple P5 championship games as far as attendance is concerned but all ESPN Events cares about is the ratings staying where they've been since its inception. I imagine if a SU or JSU can make it, it would spike

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I thought this was common knowledge. ESPN has come out on numerous occassions and said that they don't care about attendance (since they control over 2/3 of the bowl game market) but RATINGS. The Celebration Bowl rep has relayed this as well. We can brag about our FCS bowl game competing with a couple P5 championship games as far as attendance is concerned but all ESPN Events cares about is the ratings staying where they've been since its inception. I imagine if a SU or JSU can make it, it would spike

Attendance has about the same value prop as the "baaaaands" ... atmosphere and bragging rights.

Texas Southern
Texas Southern stadium is nice and holds 22,000. It will be sufficient for a move to FBS. Texas Southern have the highest enrollment in the SWAC at 10,514. They are one of 3 programs in the SWAC that currently have the enrollment right now to have the infrastructure to be FBS. TSU have an athletic budget of $12 million. I feel that that needs to improve by 25% and can be done alot easier with an improvement of the football program. Texas Southern has an average attendance of 9,204. Attendance would need to rise around 50% to be where needed.
Texas Southern Grade: B

#5 Alabama St.
Alabama St. have a great stadium that looks to have room for expansion. I feel that their stadium is better than some stadiums in FBS right now. Alabama St. have an athletic budget of $13.4 Million is one of the highest in the SWAC. The budget would need to improve by $2.5 million. With an enrollment of 5,475 I feel that needs to be improved by 50%. Shocked that enrollment is so low being that Alabama St. is located in the state capital of Alabama and that AAMU and Alabama St. are the only public HBCUs in the state. Alabama St. has an average attendance of 17,799 which is past the threshold that is needed.
Alabama St. grade B+

#4 Prairie View
Very nice stadium and fieldhouse. Is easily expandable and should increase to 25,000. Prairie View has the highest athletic budget in the SWAC being at $19.7 million. I am giving that number the side eye because something is not adding up about that budget. I will dig deeper into it later. With an enrollment of 8,940, Prairie View is the 3rd largest school that would be in the SWAC and is above the threshold needed to sustain being in FBS. Prairie View has an average attendance of 6,364 which is only ahead of MVSU. That attendance would need to improve by 2.5 times what it is.
Prairie View Grade A-

#3 FAMU
Looking at Bragg Stadium it needs to be updated. FAMU has the national brand that is better than alot of schools in G5. FAMU has an athletic budget of $11.2 Million. The budget needs to increase by $5 million. That budget would also increase by $2 million just by them joining the SWAC. With an average attendance of 16,537, FAMU beats what is needed as far as attendance for being in FBS and would increase even more with playing teams in the SWAC verses the MEAC. With an enrollment 9,912 FAMU beats the number needed to be in FBS and would be the 2nd largest school in the SWAC.
FAMU Grade A-

#2 Southern
Ace W. Mumford stadium is very unique stadium. Stadium is just the right size but I don't see where Southern would be able to expand for future growth. Southern has an athletic budget of $15 Million that would improve with an upgrade to their non-conference schedule. Southern has an enrollment of 7,001. That would need to improve by 1,000. I am hoping that Southern can get their enrollment back to where it use to be. With an attendance of 16,957, Southern beats what is needed for FBS. I see Southern attendance improving with those DII and NAIA programs coming off of the schedule for better opponents matching those already high ticket prices.
Southern Grade A

#1 Jackson St.
Alot of people give Veterans Memorial Stadium flack but I don't see what for. The only 2 things that I see that could be done is a new pressbox and a better playing surface. I don't know if the field just look like that when they played Alcorn or it has been a problem all year. Jackson St. use to have the best looking field in the SWAC. Jackson St. has an athletic budget of $7.6 million. Something is not right about that budget. Looking at the budget it looks like one of the 3 things happened. (1) Jackson St. overstated their attendance. (2) Jackson St. had a lot of tickets that either given away for free or reduced greatly in price (3) Jackson St. is cooking the books. I say this because that there is no way Jackson St. should have an athletic budget similar to Alcorn when Jackson St. has more than twice the amount of students than Alcorn has and had more than twice the amount of attendance than Alcorn. Jackson St. has an enrollment of 7,709. That is barley below what I feel in needed for FBS. I believe that JSU enrollment will improve by atleast 3,000 by them being an urban university. Jackson St. had the best attendance in the SWAC, FCS, and better than 75% of the teams in G5.
Jackson St. Grade A

#4 Prairie View
Very nice stadium and fieldhouse. Is easily expandable and should increase to 25,000. Prairie View has the highest athletic budget in the SWAC being at $19.7 million. I am giving that number the side eye because something is not adding up about that budget. I will dig deeper into it later. With an enrollment of 8,940, Prairie View is the 3rd largest school that would be in the SWAC and is above the threshold needed to sustain being in FBS. Prairie View has an average attendance of 6,364 which is only ahead of MVSU. That attendance would need to improve by 2.5 times what it is.
Prairie View Grade A-

PV’s stadium is configured to expand to 30-33K seating capacity w/ the close of the bowl and larger east side upper deck mirroring the west side upper deck.

When PV’s athletic upgrades were first recommended, it was accepted by our governing board that we were doing so with the ultimate destination for PV football to ascend to d-1 fbs level (in writing and accepted/implemented by the governing system). With or w/out the SWAC, PV football WILL be at the d-1 fbs level w/ the help of the right leadership. It’s no accident that tarleton state football is ascending from d-2 to d-1 fcs w/ required upgrades and funding for the athletic move. The TAMUS’ ultimate goal is to have 2 of its member schools at the d-1 fbs level, to keep decent pace w/ the other notable large in-state system which now touts 3 and a 4th pending (el paso, san antonio, austin, talks of the arlington campus returning as fbs).

When looking at the PV budget, think that all the athletic venues have to be paid for. (new independent soccer stadium, new t&f stadium, upgraded baseball stadium, upgraded softball stadium, upgraded basketball arena, ...). How many schools in the SWAC have independent athletic venues for every single sport vs antiquated “multi-use” facilities?

No disrespect but our recently built very large rec center basketball courts, complete with grandstands/scoreboards & upper running track - pools - ... :D , is nicer than 50% of the current SWAC school’s main basketball arenas. Triggered SWAC jealousy originating from the east in 4..3..2.. :D

PV’s stadium is configured to expand to 30-33K Seating capacity w/ the close of the bowl and larger east side upper deck mirroring the west side upper deck.

When PV’s athletic upgrades were first recommended, it was accepted by our governing board that we were doing so with the ultimate destination for PV football to ascend to d-1 fbs level (in writing and accepted/implemented by the governing system). With or w/out the SWAC, PV football WILL be at the d-1 fbs level w/ the help of the right leadership. It’s no accident that tarleton state football is ascending from d-2 to d-1 fcs w/ required upgrades and funding for the athletic move. The TAMUS’ ultimate goal is to have 2 of its member schools at the d-1 fbs level, to keep decent pace w/ the other notable large in-state system which now touts 3 and a 4th pending (el paso, san antonio, austin, talks of the arlington campus returning as fbs).

When looking at the PV budget, think that all the athletic venues have to be paid for. (new independent soccer stadium, new t&f stadium, upgraded baseball stadium, upgraded softball stadium, upgraded basketball arena, ...). How many schools in the SWAC have independent athletic venues for every single sport vs antiquated “multi-use” facilities?

No disrespect but our recently built very large rec center basketball courts, complete with grandstands/scoreboards & upper running track - pools - ... :D , is nicer than 50% of the current SWAC school’s main basketball arenas. Triggered SWAC jealousy originating from the east in 4..3..2.. :D

No hate here Panth. Your facilities are definitely nice AF

Back