Superfly

I was about to knock this and say, "why can't they just create something new?" Then I watched the trailer and I was impressed. Here's why.....

I love seeing movies, images, and visions of Brothers running things, being in control, and making it happen. Even if the activity is illegal, there is something positive that one can learn from the next man's work ethics, dedication, loyalty, and commitment. I've used movies such as this to talk about the good and bad with young brothers but more importantly to inspire them to stay on their grind (school, entrepreneurship, fatherhood, etc.)....

With all of the above being said, yeah...this remake (if that's what it is) is very very interesting! Can't wait to check it out!

I was about to knock this and say, "why can't they just create something new?" Then I watched the trailer and I was impressed. Here's why.....

I love seeing movies, images, and visions of Brothers running things, being in control, and making it happen. Even if the activity is illegal, there is something positive that one can learn from the next man's work ethics, dedication, loyalty, and commitment. I've used movies such as this to talk about the good and bad with young brothers but more importantly to inspire them to stay on their grind (school, entrepreneurship, fatherhood, etc.)....

With all of the above being said, yeah...this remake (if that's what it is) is very very interesting! Can't wait to check it out!

+1

I was about to knock this and say, "why can't they just create something new?"

I'm tired of all these remakes of old classic films. Not sure if this one is really a remake or just a copy of the name and drug scene of the original one. Big Boi need to know that Superfly wasn't a pimp, he was a drug dealer that ended up wanting to get out of the business but The Man wasn't having it.

I'm tired of all these remakes of old classic films. Not sure if this one is really a remake or just a copy of the name and drug scene of the original one. Big Boi need to know that Superfly wasn't a pimp, he was a drug dealer that ended up wanting to get out of the business but The Man wasn't having it.
Somebody school him.

Well, I just checked it out. I'll give it 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.

Observations
  • The plot in the beginning really wasn't too bad, but by the middle and the end, it all seemed rushed and too predictable and kinda silly.
  • In the original, you appreciated the main characters (Priest, Scatter, Eddie, & Freddie) cause you could empathize with their plight. This version did not make you feel their pain like the original did. I don't want to say it was the acting because those characters at least wasn't too bad (can't say the same for other characters).....
  • They just could have done more with the script. On the breakfast club, the actors said they got the film done in 2 months or something like that. You can tell. Nothing original was done...
  • Older cats said that after seeing the original back in the day, either they wanted to hustle or they knew hustling was not for them. I did not get that from this move.
  • In a nutshell, they probably should have named it something else, renamed the main characters instead of referring to it as an updated version. They tried though....and the movie was watchable to me...it is just no where near the standards of the original...LOL
Just one man's opinion...almost like Samuel Jackson's version of Shaft...okay but not necessary...

Last edited:

Observations
  • The plot in the beginning really wasn't too bad, but by the middle and the end, it all seemed rushed and too predictable and kinda silly.
  • In the original, you appreciated the main characters (Priest, Scatter, Eddie, & Freddie) cause you could empathize with their plight. This version did not make you feel their pain like the original did. I don't want to say it was the acting because those characters at least wasn't too bad (can't say the same for other characters).....
  • They just could have done more with the script. On the breakfast club, the actors said the got the film done in 2 months or something like that. You can tell. Nothing original was done...
  • Olderr cats said that after seeing the original back in the day, either they wanted to hustle or they knew hustling was not for them. I did not get that from this move.
  • In a nutshell, they probably should have named it something else, renamed the main characters instead of referring to it as an updated version. They tried though....and the movie was watchable to me...it is just no where near the standards of the original...LOL
Just one man's opinion...almost like Samuel Jackson's version of Shaft...okay but not necessary...
You know what, I forgot, there was a nice speed chase in the movie. Something that you don't see too much of these days...also, they really tried to give it a Southern feel with it based in Atlanta and mentioning other cities in the south...

Observations
  • They just could have done more with the script. On the breakfast club, the actors said they got the film done in 2 months or something like that. You can tell. Nothing original was done...
  • Older cats said that after seeing the original back in the day, either they wanted to hustle or they knew hustling was not for them. I did not get that from this move.

I figured that. It’s tough to match a classic like that. Now they need to leave Coffy, Dolemite, and Foxy Brown alone.

I saw it Friday....it was so many story lines going on and the end seemed rushed. Why all of sudden the dude running Snow Patrol got the nerve to kill Priest....SMH....

Now I will say the funniest part was when Fast Freddy got pulled over and the cop was singing, "they see me rolling....they hatingggggg...." LOL

I saw it Friday....it was so many story lines going on and the end seemed rushed. Why all of sudden the dude running Snow Patrol got the nerve to kill Priest....SMH....

Now I will say the funniest part was when Fast Freddy got pulled over and the cop was singing, "they see me rolling....they hatingggggg...." LOL
Nah, the funniest part for me was when young Priest asked who was Morris Day?

Back