Summer Movies are going to be hot!

buckwheat

Below is a listing of movies coming this summer that will feature several African-Amercians:

"Breakin' All the Rules" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast
By James Hill, BET.com Staff Writer
Opens: May 14
Director: Daniel Taplitz
Starring: Jamie Foxx, Morris Chestnut, Gabrielle Union
Premise: After being dumped, Quincy (Foxx) writes a book on how to break up with women. Quincy?s friend (Chestnut) reads the book, gets nervous and sends Quincy to call off his own relationship with Gabrielle Union. Only, Quincy falls for her.
Snap Judgment: Given that this film sat on the shelf for some time and has been renamed, watching Morris Chestnut and Gabrielle Union go for a Black romantic comedy trifecta (?The Brothers? and ?Two Can Play That Game?) things don?t bode well for ?Rules.? Still, Foxx is pretty damn funny and might be what the couple needs to recapture our hearts.
Forecast: Partly Sunny
Parental Squirm Count: 3 ? Except for ?Johnson Family Vacation,? Hollywood?s definition of Black comedy is centered around sex and profanity. Of course, it?s only rated PG-13, but you?ve been warned.

"I, Robot" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast

When: July 16
Director: Alex Proyas
Starring: Will Smith, Chi McBride, Bruce Greenwood
Premise: Loosely adapted from science-fiction novel of the same name, Will Smith plays a futuristic cop investigating a robot that has done the impossible, murder a human being.
Snap Judgment: Having read the novel the film is based on, I was hoping for a more serious movie with a more serious Smith. Still, the story is cool (and familiar to ?Matrix,? ?Terminator? and ?Blade Runner? fans); the effects look nice; and Will has the whole bad-ass cop thing going with the motorcycle and the glasses. Too bad the trailer kills all the mystery and pretty much tells you that, yes, the robots are bad.
Parental Squirm Count: 2 ? Smith knows what side his bread is buttered on, so he won?t be alienating movie going families with an abundance of potty mouth or gory violence.

"Catwoman" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast
When: July 23
Director: Pitof
Starring: Halle Berry, Benjamin Bratt, Sharon Stone
Premise: A mild-mannered cosmetics employee is murdered for finding out a company secret and is magically reborn as the avenging Catwoman.
Snap Judgment: OK, no one?s arguing that Halle Berry looks positively scrumptious, but comic book fans are beside themselves with the way the film has messed with the character. Not only is she not Selina Kyle (who we know from ?Batman Returns?), she doesn?t live in Gotham City, nor is there any relationship to Batman. I suppose there?s more than one way to film a cat, but making good comic book movies is tricky business and the filmmakers seem to be going about it the wrong way. Still, fans balked when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman and that film went on to box-office and critical acclaim. This cat just may fly.
Parental Squirm Count: 3 ? If a half-naked Halle Berry doesn?t bother you, than some of the sexual innuendo just might.

Manchurian Candidate" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast
When: July 30
Director: Jonathan Demme
Starring: Denzel Washington, Live Schreiber, Meryl Streep, Kimberly Elise, Jeffrey Wright
Premise: Washington plays a Persian Gulf veteran who becomes suspicious that mind games and conspiracy are afoot when one of his former war buddies may be a pawn in a dangerous game. Based on the 1962 Frank Sinatra film.
Snap Judgment: Primo cast, primo director, great source material ? what could go wrong? Hopefully, nothing. It?ll be nice to see Washington chew on some deeper material here as well as team up with powerhouse Jeffrey Wright. The only question is the film?s underlying theme. The original frightened us with the then-real threat of communism, but what now ? Al Qaeda? A Presidential election scandal? A head of state brought to power by a small cabal of leaders, including his own father. Oh, wait that?s . . . . nevermind.
Forecast: Sunny
Parental Squirm Count: 3 ? This is a grown-folks movie, so expect some grown-folks language and violence.

"Collateral" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast
When: August 6
Director: Michael Mann
Starring: Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, Irma P. Hall, Jada Pinkett-Smith
Premise: A failed comedian and cab driver Foxx slowly realizes that his most recent fare (Cruise) is a hit man who?s using him as a getaway driver.
Snap Judgment: Like ?The Manchurian Candidate,? this one has all the right ingredients for a good movie. We?ve already seen Foxx pull off the dramatic with ?Ali? and ?Redemption,? and with ?Ali? director Mann helming this one and Cruise in bad-guy mode, we?re sure Foxx will be given more room to shine.
Parental Squirm Count: 5 ? Though the film has been rated yet, Mann is known for pretty intense violence, four-letter words and some booty movement.

"Alien vs. Predator" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast
When: August 13
Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Starring: Sanaa Lathan, Lance Henriksen
Premise: A team of archaeologists fall into a millennium-long battle between the Aliens and the Predators.
Snap Judgment: The integration of Black folks into sci-fi continues. Sanaa Lathan is the latest actress to headline a science-fiction flick, too bad this one looks iffy at best. Since ?Freddy vs. Jason? hit big, it was only a matter of time until moviemakers brought this unholy fight (first seen in a comic book series) to the screen. The story promises to be thin but the effects and the chance to see Lathan jump around in skimpy clothes should prove worth your time.
Forecast: Partly Cloudy
Parental Squirm Count: 3 ? ?Predator? and ?Alien? are both pretty scary movies and having them put together should prove, uh, scary. Keep the small ones away.

"Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast
When: August 27
Cast: Morris Chestnut, Johnny Messner, Eugene Byrd, Salli Richardson
Premise: A group of scientists looking for a mysterious Black orchid in the jungles of Borneo finds that a family of huge snakes is already using the flower to increase their life span and strength.
Snap Judgment: Uhhh, no. Correct me if I?m wrong but no one watched the original ?Anaconda? and said, ?Gee, I need more closure. I mean what happened to the snake?s family.? I mean really. And while I?m at it, Morris, what are you doing?!? We gave you a pass on ?Under Siege 2,? but now you?re pushing it.
Forecast: Overcast
Parental Squirm Count: 3 ? Big snakes can be scary, especially when they look like computer graphics

"Hero" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast
When: August 20
Director: Zhang Yimou
Cast: Jet Li, Maggie Cheung, Tong Leung
Premise: Jet Li plays the loyal subject of the first Chinese emperor, who goes up against three assassins out to kill the ruler.
Snap Judgment: This has to be the first Jet Li movie that I actually wanted to see. The action looks positively insane and artfully captured. Already a hit in China, the film looks like ?Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? without the sappy love stories. And that can only be a good thing.
Parental Squirm Count: 3 ? There?s lots of kung fu, sword fighting and a bit of sensuality.

Hmm, interesting reviews. I'm surprised the forecast on "Catwoman" isn't positively stormy! I may be biased cause I think they should've stuck more to the comic book, but what I've heard & seen about this flick ain't good. Only the latest trailer is worth looking at. Hope I'm wrong.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
buckwheat1911 said:
Below is a listing of movies coming this summer that will feature several African-Amercians:

"Collateral" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast
When: August 6
Director: Michael Mann
Starring: Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, Irma P. Hall, Jada Pinkett-Smith
Premise: A failed comedian and cab driver Foxx slowly realizes that his most recent fare (Cruise) is a hit man who?s using him as a getaway driver.
Snap Judgment: Like ?The Manchurian Candidate,? this one has all the right ingredients for a good movie. We?ve already seen Foxx pull off the dramatic with ?Ali? and ?Redemption,? and with ?Ali? director Mann helming this one and Cruise in bad-guy mode, we?re sure Foxx will be given more room to shine.
Parental Squirm Count: 5 ? Though the film has been rated yet, Mann is known for pretty intense violence, four-letter words and some booty movement.

Of all the movies listed, this one sounds the most interesting. I have been waiting a long time to see Tom Cruise in a bad-guy mode. Maybe he will finally win his best actor Oscar. I mean, thats what did it for Denzel.

buckwheat1911 said:

"Catwoman" -- 2004 Summer Movie Forecast
When: July 23
Director: Pitof
Starring: Halle Berry, Benjamin Bratt, Sharon Stone
Premise: A mild-mannered cosmetics employee is murdered for finding out a company secret and is magically reborn as the avenging Catwoman.
Snap Judgment: OK, no one?s arguing that Halle Berry looks positively scrumptious, but comic book fans are beside themselves with the way the film has messed with the character. Not only is she not Selina Kyle (who we know from ?Batman Returns?), she doesn?t live in Gotham City, nor is there any relationship to Batman. I suppose there?s more than one way to film a cat, but making good comic book movies is tricky business and the filmmakers seem to be going about it the wrong way. Still, fans balked when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman and that film went on to box-office and critical acclaim. This cat just may fly.
Parental Squirm Count: 3 ? If a half-naked Halle Berry doesn?t bother you, than some of the sexual innuendo just might.

All these movie versions of comic book superheros, and they have YET to make the movie version of WONDER WOMAN! :smh:

I can't help but to wonder who they would get that could fill out that suit like Lynda Carter did in the 70's tv show...

Is there a gal in Hollywood tall enough (Carter was 5'10",) and athletic enough (she did her OWN stunts,) and can act even just a little bit to fill the bill?

Back