SU vs GSU Pick 'em and weep

thegooddoctor

As of 7:00 tonight here is a compilation of the picks from PNECK and a few other sources:

According to PNEC K and those who participate in picking the games SU is in the lead. Now that may be due to a larger number of SU supporters are participating.
SU - 21
GSU - 13

SWACFOOTBALL.com SU - 45 GSU - 41
GEAUX Cowboys GSU by 7
Dunkel Index SU 62.3 GSU 61.7

Alcorn Warrior and Panthro two highly respected analysis both pick the Jaguars to prevail.

Just food for thought.

My personal opinion is that GSU's offensive line must give Eugene time to operate and work his magic. Although criticized in the first game of the season, the relatively young line (three new starters) has jelled into a good unit. The two mammoth young tackles have done an excellent job of protecting Bruce and allowing him time to find his multiple receivers. Lately, they have done a good job of run blocking...especially new the goal line where newcomer running back Ab Kauuan has excelled in the last half of the season.

The GSU defensive front has been monsters against the run. The switch of former tight end Jason Hatcher to defensive end has added another playmaker to the front seven. Teamed with fellow sophomore Leonard Patten, the GMen have a good pass rush off the edges. Both tackles, Josh Kador and Jimmy Zachary have been excellent run stoppers and provide a good push up the middle. With the good linebacking play from Pettway, Smith and Petty it is difficult to run on this unit. Another big hitter was added to the mix when returning strong safety came back in October following a pre-season hamstring injury.

As always, I'm biased. But the talent level of the GMen not only allows me to predict a victory, but also a double digit margin of victory. The jaguars are good, but they will be overmatched in this one.

Grambling 51

SU 31

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by str8brave
I got a feeling SU is going to pull out the victory in this one..

SU- 49
GSU-31 Final
:nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2:

Pre game Analysis

Mike Bigg:

Talent is critical in the game of football. But so is coaching.

I agree GSU is very strong at linebacker and the defensive line. However, from the games I've seen of the Tigers the defensive backs can't tackle and can't cover. This will be critical when you confront a team that passes and runs the ball. Pick your poison.

The Jaguars are strong in the defensive backfield and at linebacker they have tremendous speed. Speed the tigers haven't encountered this year.

If the jaguars contain Eugene and Trumain Douglas they win.

The Tigers on the other hand must contain both Richard and a group of receiver who can all hurt you and be a game breaker.

Who do you take out the game? Ard, Davis, etc. All them boys can catch and run.

SU has more weapons than the G_Men. If Richard's delivers then it will be a long day for the boys from Louisiana Normal College.

The intangible will be coaching. Doug has yet to outcoach Pete Richardson. You give Richardson two weeks to prepare for a team he usually wins. The man knows X's and O's.

It's going to be a close game. 5 hours before game time. Time out for the talking and prosnosticating.

By the way at the battle of the bands last night: SU 1 - GSU 0

:idea:

lemme go on record

When was the last time that a talent advantage mattered in this game??? Throw the records out the window. Both squads are damn good this year. This one will come down to turnovers. Whoever makes the fewest wins. Since Gram takes a more risky approach with the football on offense, I'm guessing they'll make one too many turnovers.

SU 34
GSU 27

Grambling will win 45 - 14. This year, Dough will out coach Pete.
We will be heading back to the SWAC Championship game and spank them Bama's.

This will be a battle of the trenches. If SU's O-Line can get some movement on the line of scrimmage....SU's run game will keep Grum's D on it's heels. That and SU's recievers holding on to the ball, when it's crucial....and, SU should be able to put some points on the board.

On the D side......if the D-Line can keep a steady stream of pressure on Bruce.....and, the LB's can make Bruce think twice about taking off.....SU will be fine.

A game like this could easily be determined by special teams, also. Watch and feel who gets the upperhand in field position....and, you should be able to tell the story of the game.

SUperior- 36
Grum- 23

Hey, Buckwheat, I know he's put on a few pounds since his playing days, but since when is Gram's coach "Dough"? :lol:

Anyway, SU can and will run the ball, and when they have to throw, Richard is the most accurate passer in the SWAC. From what I've seen of SU's defense this year, they will be able to contain Grambling's passing attack.

I think that it will be a game that gets decided on turnovers, and in situations like that, I like the team led by the coach with a defensive background.

I say SU by a TD, probably late in the game. Picking exact scores is usually a useless endeavor, but...

SU 38
gsu 31

UNLESS!!!!

We get something like what happened yesterday, and the team from Baton Rouge takes advantage of the mistakes committed by the team from (damned near) Arkansas, and blows them out of the stadium.

So my REAL prediction is:

SU--55
gsu-24

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You will note the irony of a Tulanian channeling the LSU game...

Re: Pre game Analysis

Originally posted by thegooddoctor
Mike Bigg:

Talent is critical in the game of football. But so is coaching.

I agree GSU is very strong at linebacker and the defensive line. However, from the games I've seen of the Tigers the defensive backs can't tackle and can't cover. This will be critical when you confront a team that passes and runs the ball. Pick your poison.

The Jaguars are strong in the defensive backfield and at linebacker they have tremendous speed. Speed the tigers haven't encountered this year.

If the jaguars contain Eugene and Trumain Douglas they win.

The Tigers on the other hand must contain both Richard and a group of receiver who can all hurt you and be a game breaker.

Who do you take out the game? Ard, Davis, etc. All them boys can catch and run.

SU has more weapons than the G_Men. If Richard's delivers then it will be a long day for the boys from Louisiana Normal College.

The intangible will be coaching. Doug has yet to outcoach Pete Richardson. You give Richardson two weeks to prepare for a team he usually wins. The man knows X's and O's.

It's going to be a close game. 5 hours before game time. Time out for the talking and prosnosticating.

By the way at the battle of the bands last night: SU 1 - GSU 0

Richard 552, 5 touchdowns--you called that one :D :D :D :D :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

GREAT WIN JAGS!!!!!

Originally posted by thegooddoctor
As of 7:00 tonight here is a compilation of the picks from PNECK and a few other sources:

According to PNEC K and those who participate in picking the games SU is in the lead. Now that may be due to a larger number of SU supporters are participating.
SU - 21
GSU - 13

SWACFOOTBALL.com SU - 45 GSU - 41
GEAUX Cowboys GSU by 7
Dunkel Index SU 62.3 GSU 61.7
Somebody @ swacfootball.com nailed this one.:eek2: :eek2:

I picked a three-point margin too...lol

FYI Gram, I was 12-0 picking y'all's games this year.

I'm 11-1 picking SU games WITH ONE TO GO....

I finished 11-1 on McNeese games as well....good thing I didn't see Coach Miller after the game-I was gonna make a friendly wager with him (he played at NAU)

Someone posted that our defensive backs can't tackle. Actually they are okay tacklers... but our true weakness showed up on Saturday. That weakness is that we only had one true corner on the field (#21) who wasn't bad in coverage. Octavious Bond is a good football player...but he is not a corner. In the right scheme you can get away with him...but as a corner, he doesn't turn his hips well enuff to play corner back.

For some reason ( I guess his background as a safety prior to transferring to GSU) he has a tendency to peek into the offensive backfield and gets out of position. He didn't have the problem so much last year (maybe his focus was better as a first year starter). In any regards, our defensive coordinator didn't do a good job of coming up with a different scheme to help confuse Richard.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Someone posted that our defensive backs can't tackle. Actually they are okay tacklers... but our true weakness showed up on Saturday. That weakness is that we only had one true corner on the field (#21) who wasn't bad in coverage. Octavious Bond is a good football player...but he is not a corner. In the right scheme you can get away with him...but as a corner, he doesn't turn his hips well enuff to play corner back.

For some reason ( I guess his background as a safety prior to transferring to GSU) he has a tendency to peek into the offensive backfield and gets out of position. He didn't have the problem so much last year (maybe his focus was better as a first year starter). In any regards, our defensive coordinator didn't do a good job of coming up with a different scheme to help confuse Richard.

From what I have seen Saturday, the DBs always played the receiver and not the football. If the DB play for the ball, the receiver will not have a shot at making the catch. Lee, Daigre, and Bond will have to learn that technique if they want to improve by next fall.

Originally posted by EyEoFtHeTiGeR
From what I have seen Saturday, the DBs always played the receiver and not the football. If the DB play for the ball, the receiver will not have a shot at making the catch. Lee, Daigre, and Bond will have to learn that technique if they want to improve by next fall.

Lee, Bonds, and Bridges are seniors. Actually Lee's technique wasn't bad. He wasn't out of position and didn't give up a lot of pass receptions. Daigre is a strong safety...on just about any level that is a mismatch in coverage against a receiver. When you add in the fact that he missed almost the first two months of the season with a hamstring, you can understand him getting beat by Davis on that slant route.

But still, I say you do a better job of implementing a scheme to disquise your coverage.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by MikeBigg
Lee, Bonds, and Bridges are seniors. Actually Lee's technique wasn't bad. He wasn't out of position and didn't give up a lot of pass receptions. Daigre is a strong safety...on just about any level that is a mismatch in coverage against a receiver. When you add in the fact that he missed almost the first two months of the season with a hamstring, you can understand him getting beat by Davis on that slant route.

But still, I say you do a better job of implementing a scheme to disquise your coverage.

Yeah, Cover 1 will not work. Dime cover two or Nickel cover two is the best choice instead of placing a LB on a wideout.

<font size=6>SU wins
AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
</font>

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back