SU vs FAMU: What happened?

S

SWACLocalBoy

:eek: I have a question. (I'm new here, so make me feel at home)

:mad: I'm angry that FAMU and SU aren't going to meet each other this year, as well as for years to come. (It would have been a good rivalry) They say it's about film-exchange issues. <b> What can we do to get the rivalry back, or do you think it's, well, good riddance? What are your thoughts on this?</b>

LocalBoy, The SOUTHERN Famu series is temporily stop due to several issues including exchange of game film. There was also an issue of fan involment by the younger fans it was starting to wane many of the younger fans couldn't appreciate the greatness of such a rivalry in my opinion. Look for it to return in a year or two as the Azaela City Classic which is featuring Famu and Troy St this year in Mobile ALA.:lmao:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think the series ended because both schools didn't want to play a non-conference game in November? Maybe someone from Southern has the answer?

Younger fans not interested???

Bigtyme69, thanks for filling me in. That is a pity, however, that the younger generation cannot appreciate a matchup between the Jags and the Rattlers. I mean, SU and FAMU are two historic teams, with a very rich tradition, Ace Mumford with the Jags, Jake Gaither with the Rattlers. And nobody's paying attention to this???

<b>I guess in this same respect, it wouldn't be a good rivalry between Tulane and Southern either, now would it?</b>

What say you, Bigtyme69 and JSU?:confused:

Greed and pride...

:bawling: That's just sad. Greed and pride!!? Maybe these black colleges oughta move up to I-A. At least the SWAC and MEAC should, that is. Hey, MACHIAVELLI, what do you think about that move? Is it possible? After all, the SWAC and MEAC are the leaders in attendance in I-AA (although the Ivies [ but I like them in the same respect:rolleyes:] are between the SWAC and MEAC as of last year). I think I should have called this thread "<b>The SWAC and the MEAC: Move to Div. I-A possible???</b>":idea:

What say you guys, hmm hmm hmm?:emlaugh: After all, it's now all about two things: Greed and Pride.

LocalBoy we have that discussion about every 6 months here just check out some old threads , but anyway I digress The Famu Southern series will be back in a year or 2 Pete does not care for Billy Joe but he can work around him this game should draw 50,000 or 60,000 so some reorganization is necessery for this game to reach its full potenial.:idea: Mobile could be the key

Hmmm...if this is not new...

:rolleyes: ...maybe this has been noted in the news? Bigtyme69, are there any articles from the newspapers about this situation? Cite me some if you can. I will archive this.

:cool: :) :D ;) :p :rolleyes: :confused:

Here is what was said about this. Please don't start a "let go D1A" debate again, we have been over that several times and this has nothing to do with that. My guess is that this series will resume in a few years. I know I am mad as hell that we ain't playing them, and I will let the correct people know. They claimed they needed schedule relief, and then put Troy State in our place. Show what they think of us. We have Miles in that spot.
http://web.tallahasseedemocrat.com/...munotes.16C.htm
Both FAMU coach Billy Joe and Southern's Pete Richardson are in favor of taking a break from playing one another. The teams' four-game contract expired after Saturday's game, and there are no immediate plans to resume the series.
Both programs are in favor of putting together lighter non-conference schedules next season, when the NCAA allows teams to play 12 regular-season games. Next season, Southern will face Division I-A Tulane and tough I-AA instate rival Northwestern State. Richardson said the team also is in the process of securing a game with Tennessee State and possibly Morris Brown.
FAMU, which opens the 2002 season at Miami, also has a non-conference game scheduled against Tennessee State. Morris Brown and Division II Albany State also have been mentioned as possible opponents.
?I agree with Pete,? Joe said. ?We both need some schedule relief, so I don't want to play (Southern) either.?

More comments from Billy Joe
http://web.tallahasseedemocrat.com/....spt.joe.6C.htm
Michael Wallace: Is this precisely the reason you're not in favor of playing tough teams such as Southern on future non-conference schedules?
Joe: With a schedule like ours, we need some schedule relief. We play eight conference teams that are very tough. The three non-conference games that you have, you'd like them to be not as tough as conference games. North Carolina A&T and B-CC have it right. They play eight conference games and one, two or as many as three non-conference games they have a good opportunity to win. Not three highly emotional games a year on top of the conference ones.

http://web.tallahasseedemocrat.com/...munotes.16C.htm
Both FAMU coach Billy Joe and Southern's Pete Richardson are in favor of taking a break from playing one another. The teams' four-game contract expired after Saturday's game, and there are no immediate plans to resume the series.
Both programs are in favor of putting together lighter non-conference schedules next season, when the NCAA allows teams to play 12 regular-season games. Next season, Southern will face Division I-A Tulane and tough I-AA instate rival Northwestern State. Richardson said the team also is in the process of securing a game with Tennessee State and possibly Morris Brown.
FAMU, which opens the 2002 season at Miami, also has a non-conference game scheduled against Tennessee State. Morris Brown and Division II Albany State also have been mentioned as possible opponents.
?I agree with Pete,? Joe said. ?We both need some schedule relief, so I don't want to play (Southern) either.?

More comments from Billy Joe
http://web.tallahasseedemocrat.com/....spt.joe.6C.htm
Michael Wallace: Is this precisely the reason you're not in favor of playing tough teams such as Southern on future non-conference schedules?
Joe: With a schedule like ours, we need some schedule relief. We play eight conference teams that are very tough. The three non-conference games that you have, you'd like them to be not as tough as conference games. North Carolina A&T and B-CC have it right. They play eight conference games and one, two or as many as three non-conference games they have a good opportunity to win. Not three highly emotional games a year on top of the conference ones.

Thanks for posting the article Lewis... I was looking for them :D

MACH:
Are there any plans for GSU to start a series with FAMU?

Thanks for the articles.

I am convinced. SU and FAMU do need a break...for now. I personally think GSU and FAMU should start a series. But I fear that FAMU doesn't want to play Grambling yet, do they?

I want to also know what Mach say 'bout dis.:) :confused:

We played the FAMU two years ago and beat them in the Circle City Classic. We were scheduled to play them last year in Cincy, but Bin Laden canceled that.

Oh yeah...

I remember that...That Circle City Classic vs. the Rattlers was a game in that season where the G-Men won our first Div I Black College National Championship, right?;)

Ah, memories...you just can't let go of them.:D

But wouldn't it be nice to face 'em again.:rolleyes:

Let me add...

Our first Div I black college national championship since <b>1992</b>, am I not correct?:confused:

Originally posted by Lewis
...They claimed they needed schedule relief, and then put Troy State in our place. Show what they think of us. We have Miles in that spot.

Those quotes are from last years' game and the schedule was under speculation then. I think the Troy State game was done for $$$ (my personal opinion), not schedule relief. Keep in mind, the AD's put together the schedule, and sometimes the coachs just go for the ride.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back