SU Jukebox Crab Class of 1983 - Do You Remember?

Big Thunder

This morning, like every weekday morning here in the ATL, one of the radio stations did a feature called "Today in music history". During that segment, they recap the top songs from back in the day. Today, for the year 1983, two of the top songs were
"Glamorous Life" and "Purple Rain".

Do ya'll remember how we used to rock those cuts? What ever happened to "Chicoonee"?

What up Frat, Where u at in th ATL???

and ahhhh

Purple Rain was '83?? coulda swore that was '84.....:confused: :shrugs:

I am actually residing in Stone Mountain and I work in Alpharetta.

True dat; "Purple Rain" was released in 1984; I guess Frank Ski was "off" just a bit. I might call up there and check him on that.

Yes, Purple Rain was a monster hit in 1984. In fact, other than the Beatles, Prince became only the second act to have the No. 1 song (Let's Go Crazy), No. 1 Album (Purple Rain) and No 1 film (Purple Rain) all at the same time.

We'd played Purple Rain in every major battle (TxSU, TnSU &. Bayou Classic) that year except JSU (Superstar-Luther instead) and came off the field with it in the slow half steps. All to a screaming and hollaring stadium (especially women)... :) Aaaahh yeah! those were the days.....

Glamous Life was another we wrecked stuff with. We had a chick dancing for us that was SUPPA FINE and a HELLA Professional style dancer. She brought the house down all by her Darnself! The arrangement was suppa powerful and balanced. My crab brother broke off a serious carbon copy of the solo for more house.

Yes, LB, I bet you were having some serious flashbacks with that DJ. I do the same here in Dallas when I hear them in the ole' school mix and break those songs off or others like: "I Feel For You", "Love Is The Key", "Black and Blues", "Get Away", "I'm Yours Baby Tonight", "Jam Tonight", "Rock With Me Tonight", "The Show", "Push It", etc...

Looking forward to seeing you hopefully. this week LB. It has been a while since I saw your boys. To think, one is now in the Jukebox... Wow! I've got about 11 years before that can be a reality here.. :)

PEACE!!!

makes me wanna build a time machine. i think the 80's were bands at its best. plus im an 80's music fanatic:D .

The '80's were tight. However, those of us that saw some '70s know those guys were bring natural smoke also. I was too young to compare. I recall seeing SU at Alcorn in the early 70s (I think '72). I still have fresh on my mind them blowing the heck out of "Harvest Time For the World" and marching their butts off. Talking about high knee lifts, caps whippin' on whip turns, plums rockin', etc... It was impressive. Thus, it was in me. I didn't know it at the time (being raised in an Alcorn household), but I'd be on that field years later doing the same thing. In fact, my squad, bring natural smoke, made the cover of a magazine. That was the only picture I was aware of every making it. I usually just off the picture a person or two (aaaaahhhh!!!). :)

That is why you always see me give a band props for bring a lot of energy to the field. After all, it is entertainment... :)

Peace!!!

Being a member of that crab class, our number 1 drill song that year was Heart to Heart by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Black and Blues by Al Jarreau was probably second. And Chester White would march our azzes until he got tired and he didn't move a muscle. And don't let Chester get mad with you, because your azz will be riding bus number 5. That year the greyhound bus company went on strike and we had to ride all the way to Thibodaux, LA to play Nicholls State on City buses, but somehow the dancing dolls had nice rental vans to ride in.

Also, we did a tribute to Count Basie by playing April in Paris (One more time).

Back