SU Human Jukebox most ground shaking band of 2020 Rose Parade

I am not at all surprised! No other band participating in the parade could match our intensity and energy. It appears that SU could already be reaping benefits from their participation as at least one Hispanic has been accepted into the famed marching unit for the 2020 school year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The Jukebox will always be the pride of SU due to their strong Alumni Band support and there will "NEVER" be an SU Band Director who was not a former Juke.... believe that! Every SU Director knows what's expected of them and they are breed and trained to continue the Legacy.

Last edited:
The Jukebox will always be the pride of SU due to their strong Alumni Band support and there will "NEVER" be an SU Band Director who was not a former Juke.... believe that! Every SU Director knows what's expected of them and they are breed and trained to continue the Legacy.

I could support SU always hiring a band director from the Jukebox ranks, but I could also support someone from outside those ranks who could bring in a fresh new perspective that could be meshed into or integrated into existing Jukebox culture. The jukebox culture is a very unique culture that has propelled this marching unit to national and international acclaim. Why else would the Raising Cane Corporation give a check to the university for a million dollars and earmark $250,000 for the band. Everywhere this band performs, they are so extremely well received. Sometimes I think the band is more popular than school leadership, and the band directors themselves, even realize. As a student-muscian at Langston University said in a school podcast three years ago when asked to share his feelings about going against Southern, "Now that's the standard." Truth be told, many hbcus measure themselves by the Southern standard. A standard that is uniquely cultivated and steeped in tradition, and is often imitated but never duplicated. These student-musicians are treated like rock stars everywhere they go. I have seen them participate in parades, and as they pass by, people reach out from beyond the parade barriers just to touch them. In a recent field show introduction, the band was introduced as "the greatest marching band of all time, the world renowned, the internationally famed." I think they have earned that title, and certainly that degree of respect, and is well-deserving of it!

Last edited:
I could support SU always hiring a band director from the Jukebox ranks, but i could also support someone from outside those ranks who could bring in a fresh new perspective that could be meshed into or integrated into existing Jukebox culture. The jukebox culture is a very unique culture that has propelled this marching unit into national and international acclaim. Why else would the Raising Cane Corporation give a check to the university for a million dollars and earmark $250,000 for the band. Everywhere this band performs, they are so extremely well received. Sometimes I think the band is more popular than school leadership, and the band directors themselves, even realize. As a student-muscian at Langston University said in a school podcast three years ago when asked to share his feelings about going against Southern, "Now that's the standard." Truth be told, many hbcus measure themselves by the Southern standard. A standard that is uniquely cultivated and steeped in tradition, and is often imitated but never duplicated. These student-musicians are treated like rock stars everywhere they go. I have seen them participate in parades, and as they pass by, people reach out from beyond the parade barriers just to touch them. In a recent field show introduction, the band was introduced as "the greatest marching band of all time, the world renowned, the internationally famed." I think they have earned that title, and certainly that degree of respect, and is well-deserving of it!

I couldn't support anyone from outside of the program to take over. We have so many qualified people that have passed through the program (many that are at well established collegiate programs) that we should be able to keep the train moving from within with no problems.

I just learned that the Southern University Marching Band has more than 130,000 followers on Facebook and more than 50,000 on Instagram. Altogether, SU has well over 200,000 followers on all social media platforms.

Let me ask you this, Do you think Taylor is a good director?

People that I talk to feels like he is just there.. Compared to Haymer, he is not that type of person that thinks outside the box type guy, and his choice in hiring the other asst has not paid off. (His arrangements leaves alot to be desired and if it wasn't for Simmons SU band would be in trouble.. I share these sentiments

Your THOUGHTS?

Let me ask you this, Do you think Taylor is a good director?

People that I talk to feels like he is just there.. Compared to Haymer, he is not that type of person that thinks outside the box type guy, and his choice in hiring the other asst has not paid off. (His arrangements leaves alot to be desired and if it wasn't for Simmons SU band would be in trouble.. I share these sentiments

Your THOUGHTS?

JAGSC, I would prefer to offer my comments in the Jags private forum.

Last edited:
Back