SU Campuses Enter Into MOU for Medical School Admissions

Earle

Southern University-Baton Rouge and Southern University-New Orleans have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with LSU School of Medicine-Shreveport to create a pathway to the study of medicine for students of color in Louiosiana. I might add that I have heard rumors that talk and interest were growing for the establishment of a medical school at SU to train minorities in the field of medicine. I just wonder if this is an attempt to quell/kill such interset, if indeed it does exist. I think it would be an excellent gesture to consider a med school on the SU Baton Rouge campus, or at a seperate location in BR, as long as it is run by SU.

You are right. Southern has been looking into it, but the Board of Regents has block every measure. My personally view is that SU, Xavier, Dillard, needs to form its own med school together. I don’t have the data but I would love to know how many SU nurses went on and got medical degrees along with Dillard, and we all know about Xavier. I just wish SU would think outside the box. SU would be the first public HBCU with a law and medical school. Also with the connection with NASA I never understood why SU wasn’t a space grant institution, we are already a land grant institution.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I think Southern University is going to have to do the fundraising mostly on their own to get a new medical school in the state which is desperately needed. The Louisiana government is stingy ... even LSU (flagship institution) is constantly complaining about lack of funds from the state. Republicans (especially Louisiana Republicans) don't believe in funding colleges and universities b/c they feel like they produce more liberals which they do .... the smarter you are the less likely to vote Democrat (studies shown this). The quickest way you can get me to not like you is to tell me you're a Republican

To be honest I was never a fan of SU system President. The reason why PVAM is out her getting money is not because they are doing anything special (no offense), its because their president has her foot in a lot of rooms. The next SU system president needs to be a visionary. Not a yes person. I have said this on many forums before, Look what SU has done in nursing, engineering, CS, urban forestry with what they have. One can only imagine if SU sued the State of Louisiana and received top notch academic facilities and better funding where would the school be at this point. But until the university push the issue we will always be behind. A lot of our school suffer from what I called tunnel vision. The state gives you a check for 3 million to shut you up, when they actually owe you 200 million, but our presidents fall for it every time.

Last edited:
Back