State Attorney Aramis Ayala Racially Profiled By Orlando Police?

Police run tags ALL THE TIME, and when the tag doesn't return to a vehicle, or returns to a vehicle other than what it's affixed to, guess what? That vehicle gets stopped. There are times when the stop is made, you get to the car, and see what it really is, and you send them on their way without further hassle. What upsets me most about incidents like this is that it takes attention away from police actions and interactions that truly DESERVE scrutiny. This was nothing other than a case of hurt feelings.

BTW, the officers here didn't help themselves by stammering over their explanation at the vehicle. And I wouldn't have even mentioned the window tint. THAT made it look like they were fishing.

Police run tags ALL THE TIME, and when the tag doesn't return to a vehicle, or returns to a vehicle other than what it's affixed to, guess what? That vehicle gets stopped. There are times when the stop is made, you get to the car, and see what it really is, and you send them on their way without further hassle. What upsets me most about incidents like this is that it takes attention away from police actions and interactions that truly DESERVE scrutiny. This was nothing other than a case of hurt feelings.

BTW, the officers here didn't help themselves by stammering over their explanation at the vehicle. And I wouldn't have even mentioned the window tint. THAT made it look like they were fishing.
And in my opinion that is a practice that should stop. If there is no traffic violation there should be no running of tags because there is no cause to run tags. It is too easy to make up shit just to pull someone over.....especially if you are Black. This practice is what led to Robbie Tolan carrying around a bullet in his body today. If the license plate was NEVER run and numbers input ERRONEOUSLY he never would have been shot IN HIS OWN DRIVEWAY with his parents telling the cop it was THEIR car.

It was not a case of hurt feelings....it was a case of PROFILING.

Just because a cop can do a thing does not make it right to do a thing.

Last edited:
And in my opinion that is a practice that should stop. If there is no traffic violation there should be no running of tags because there is no cause to run tags. It is too easy to make up shit just to pull someone over.....especially if you are Black. This practice is what led to Robbie Tolan carrying around a bullet in his body today. If the license plate was NEVER run and numbers input ERRONEOUSLY he never would have been shot IN HIS OWN DRIVEWAY with his parents telling the cop it was THEIR car.

It was not a case of hurt feelings....it was a case of PROFILING.

Just because a cop can do a thing does not make it right to do a thing.

On one hand I truly understand your point. Tolan is a friend and I have strong feelings about how that situation played out. There should have been levels of verification that occurred before it ever got to that point (among other things).

On the other hand, running tags is how stolen vehicles are found, how vehicles linked to crimes are found, missing or endangered people are located, etc. In my opinion, if a plate such as this one is legit, yet the information is understandably not listed in the database, I don't see why there isn't some sort of indicator to say that.

And we are quick to scream profiling, but if you are honest with yourself, you know that it's nearly impossible to tell the race of a driver when you are behind them.

That final statement you made is one I agree while heartedly with. I tell younger officers this all the time. That's where the common sense and life experience aspect of the job come into play. For instance, I had a lady stopped the other day who had picked up a random bottle of penicillin from the trash. She could have been arrested for possessing dangerous drugs since it wasn't prescribed to her.... But it would have been an incredibly petty arrest.... One of the young to mid 20's guys wouldn't have thought twice about it.

On one hand I truly understand your point. Tolan is a friend and I have strong feelings about how that situation played out. There should have been levels of verification that occurred before it ever got to that point (among other things).

On the other hand, running tags is how stolen vehicles are found, how vehicles linked to crimes are found, missing or endangered people are located, etc. In my opinion, if a plate such as this one is legit, yet the information is understandably not listed in the database, I don't see why there isn't some sort of indicator to say that.

And we are quick to scream profiling, but if you are honest with yourself, you know that it's nearly impossible to tell the race of a driver when you are behind them.

That final statement you made is one I agree while heartedly with. I tell younger officers this all the time. That's where the common sense and life experience aspect of the job come into play. For instance, I had a lady stopped the other day who had picked up a random bottle of penicillin from the trash. She could have been arrested for possessing dangerous drugs since it wasn't prescribed to her.... But it would have been an incredibly petty arrest.... One of the young to mid 20's guys wouldn't have thought twice about it.
The cop who shot Tolan was not young.

Back