!st Black Miss Nevada

THAMES

EyeoftheTiger,

Here's a story that I think everyone can appreciate ... even your good friend bandfan can't hate on it. (lol)

muto.jpg

July 04, 2004

Abandoned baby goes on to become Miss Nevada

ASSOCIATED PRESS

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Twenty-four years ago, Elizabeth Muto was abandoned as a baby at the Reno airport. Over the weekend, she was crowned Miss Nevada.

The Las Vegas woman beat out 11 other women Saturday night to become the first black Miss Nevada and to advance to the Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, N.J., in September.

"I've been Nevada's own since I was 10 days old," Muto said. "Since then, the people of Nevada have loved and supported me."

Muto, a University of Nevada, Las Vegas, graduate who majored in international business, was the winner of last year's Miss Black USA pageant in Miami. ....

muto.jpg

Elizabeth Muto (rj)

-------------------

Read the Story.....
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2004/jul/04/070410730.html

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
jelli said:
Saniyya there's hope for you yet....... You should run.

Girl not in Nevada. They might let 'us' run but we can't be too dark. My pigmentation is way to deep for 'em. They can't handle it. :lol:

saniyya,

Count your blessings. It's very hard to keep up with all the different pagents. I'm not sure, but it sounds like they were in two different pagents. One is for a chance to go to the Miss America pagent while the other is for the Miss USA pagent.. The chances of this happening in any state is unbelieveable. Congrats to both sistas.

THAMES said:
saniyya,

Count your blessings. It's very hard to keep up with all the different pagents. I'm not sure, but it sounds like they were in two different pagents. One is for a chance to go to the Miss America pagent while the other is for the Miss USA pagent.. The chances of this happening in any state is unbelieveable. Congrats to both sistas.

That?s really saying something considering blacks are less than 20% of the entire state?s population. Makes me proud. :tup: :D

saniyya said:
I heard about this on the news this morning. It?s a great ?Cinderella? story.

Something leaves me confused though; it was stated in the article and on the news that she?s the first black Miss Nevada but we (Nevada) had a sistah representing for us in April 2004 as Miss Nevada USA.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mqmdesigns/currentnevadausa.html

Are these two different titles or what?

Yes they are. Miss America, Miss USA, and Miss Black USA all have different feeder pageants. It is conceivable that one person could hold all three titles but in serial fashion.

Back