Spring Football - SWAC needs to work up a Plan!

MikeBigg

Hopeful that by Spring folk will adhere to guidelines and the numbers will allow Football (and other Sports) to happen.

I would synchronized football & basketball schedules so that Team could have home games during day and WBB & MBB later that evening/night. The schedule could allow return home (basketball games) when FB schedule is over.

Thoughts?

Hopeful that by Spring folk will adhere to guidelines and the numbers will allow Football (and other Sports) to happen.

I would synchronized football & basketball schedules so that Team could have home games during day and WBB & MBB later that evening/night. The schedule could allow return home (basketball games) when FB schedule is over.

Thoughts?

On its face, sounds like a good idea for Saturday games! What about other weekend sports that regularly take place during Spring?

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Spring basketball seasons is January-March.... aint nobody going to a football game in the freezing cold... I would make it March through May possibly June.

Thoughts?

You know our schools don't have the personnel to handle that kind of traffic for games and do all the operational things that need to be done.

That’s baseball season lol

and softball, track, tennis, golf...

As DaHill alluded, it might be best to have football in the Spring Months (March & April) ... Limit it to Conference games only.

Thoughts?

you have enough athletic trainers and game staff to do all-nighters like that? 3 games plus other events is catastrophic as someone will walk off the job overnight

These are not the same individuals for Basketball and Football games.

varies per school - but they need help from student trainers and if football is in session (which normally has a training staff of 10) you're talking about safety issues and paying them for that extra time.

College Football - Football 2021 is when I expect to see players possibly on the field for a full season. Covid-19 is running rampant in colleges with the athletes and the entire student bodies are not on campus. Can you imagine what is in store when the students return (parties, social gatherings etc.).

High School Football - When school starts in August we will see possibly 3 plans for student to be educated- virtual, blended, and all in person. The CDC indicates that it takes 3 precautions to possibly control the virus, face mask, social distancing, and cleaning. Now just think, there is no way to keep students 6 feet apart on a school bus, 6 feet apart in a classroom of 25-30 students or 15 students in a classroom, hallway transition, and the cafeteria will be a nightmare. Every public school, private school, and college will be seeking the same masks, face shields, sanitizing and cleaning supplies. In addition, our first responders will need those same supplies. In Alabama if a athlete test positive for Covid-19 he/she will have to quarantine for 14 days. Plus, sit out and extra 7 days (AHSAA rule) before being allowed to play again. That's 3 games. You have asked yourself, "did they make contact with any of the other players in a contact sport"?

September – Labor Day Gatherings

October – Halloween Parties

November – Thanksgiving Gatherings

December – Christmas Gathering

January – New Year’s Gatherings

I am sure you get the picture…..

Last edited:
Just a discussion topic (I’ve been gone awhile) personally, I think it will and should be cancelled until and unless the numbers are way down by Sept and then a league only schedule

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Wonder how the ncaa responds to the cv-19 interruption. I'm sure they will follow the lead of what the p5'ers want to do in terms of granting eligibility extensions for those who are affected (seniors, 5th yr seniors, etc).

I think I've accepted that there is a good chance that there will be no football this year *sighs*

But as others have alluded to, spring football won't work because you would be asking your trainers to work a double header in softball during the day and then go straight to a football game. Oh and don't let there be a baseball game at the same time as a softball game while the track team is away at a meet

Spring football sounds practical but not realistic

Spring football would be great but you all have to realized that no sport can begin in January. The kids will need 6 weeks of practice which means sports can begin til mid to late Feb. Also, I know it may not be feasible, as some have already alluded to, but if its possible to have bball on Friday and Sunday and Football on Saturday, I think that would be good.... and what if they could coordinate say a JSU-SU basketball game Friday night, JSU-SU football game Saturday. With more people in town, the basketball attendance could go up!

Back