Sports bill amended to add Bayou Classic

Anonymous

Cleo Fields amends bill to give Bayou Classic "Super Bowl" status

http://www.theadvocate.com/news/story.asp?StoryID=29080

A bill to pledge New Orleans hotel taxes to two professional sports teams underwent some minor surgery in the Senate Monday in an effort to keep the Bayou Classic football game in Louisiana.

The Senate voted to put the Bayou Classic in the same class as the Super Bowl, the NCAA Final Four, national political conventions and World Cup Soccer when it comes to qualifying for surplus hotel tax money.

There's not likely to be any surplus in the next few years because of the governor's promises to the NFL's Saints and NBA's Hornets. But the change could eventually pay dividends for the annual Thanksgiving-week clash between Southern and Grambling State universities.

Sen. Cleo Fields, D-Baton Rouge, noted that the Bayou Classic has received offers from Houston and other cities to move the Louisiana rivalry out of state.

Fields said Houston is offering to give the Bayou Classic a better deal than the Superdome.

"These schools are spending like $400,000 to lease this facility (the Superdome), and the impact on the state is over $50 million for that weekend," said Fields, D-Baton Rouge.

By contrast, Fields noted that Tulane University pays little or nothing to use the Superdome, Fields said. And he noted that the state helps the Sugar Bowl with $1 million a year.

In a telephone interview Monday, Southern University System Vice President Ralph Slaughter said the $400,000 includes the lease of the Superdome as well as related costs such as security, traffic police and cleanup.

In an attempt help fund the Bayou Classic, Fields made some change to Senate Bill 106 by Sen. Jay Dardenne, R-Baton Rouge, that sought to reprioritize the spending of the 4-percent hotel tax in the Superdome Commission's operating budget.

Dardenne's bill would pledge part of the Superdome Commission's budget to meet the state's promised aid to the Saints and Hornets, which is expected to range from $26 million to $38 million a year over the next decade. Other revenues, such as naming rights for the Superdome, will also be available for the two pro teams.

If the Superdome Commission has any surplus hotel tax money left over, Dardenne's bill would allow the extra funds to be used for promoting, marketing and subsidizing of major New Orleans sports events such as the Super Bowl and the NCAA Final Four basketball tournament.

Fields changed the bill to add the Bayou Classic to that prestigious group.

In the past, surplus money has gone to the New Orleans Visitors and Information Center, the New Orleans Recreation Department, several area colleges and local organizations.

With the commitments to the Hornets and Saints, Dardenne said there isn't likely to be a surplus in the next few years.

"I think, as a practical matter, it's very unlikely that the Bayou Classic would ever get funded by this amendment because I think the money is going to get eaten up by the Saints and the Hornets, certainly in the first couple of years," Dardenne said.

The 4-percent hotel tax figures to generated $33.6 million last year, and projections call for it to grow by 3 percent to 5 percent a year.

Dardenne's amended bill passed by a 32-0 vote and now goes to the House for consideration.

Interesting comments from NOLA.com

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontp...ory/pros09.html

Backing the Bayou Classic
Sen. Cleo Fields, D-Baton Rouge, tacked on an amendment that would let Superdome officials promote and subsidize the Bayou Classic, the annual Thanksgiving weekend football game between Southern University and Grambling State University. Fields said the schools have to pay about $400,000 in Dome rent, and <b> the amendment effectively waives the fee because the Dome would be promoting and helping underwrite the event </b>.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's about time one of our elected Black Legislator do something for his own school. I'll be glad when one in my home state do something.

Originally posted by SoloMan
It's about time one of our elected Black Legislator do something for his own school. I'll be glad when one in my home state do something.

You are so right.......It's about time we get some of the taxes we spend.

Originally posted by Anonymous
Cleo Fields amends bill to give Bayou Classic "Super Bowl" status

There's not likely to be any surplus in the next few years because of the governor's promises to the NFL's Saints and NBA's Hornets. But the change could eventually pay dividends for the annual Thanksgiving-week clash between Southern and Grambling State universities.

In an attempt help fund the Bayou Classic, Fields made some change to Senate Bill 106 by Sen. Jay Dardenne, R-Baton Rouge, that sought to reprioritize the spending of the 4-percent hotel tax in the Superdome Commission's operating budget.

Dardenne's bill would pledge part of the Superdome Commission's budget to meet the state's promised aid to the Saints and Hornets, which is expected to range from $26 million to $38 million a year over the next decade. Other revenues, such as naming rights for the Superdome, will also be available for the two pro teams.

If the Superdome Commission has any surplus hotel tax money left over, Dardenne's bill would allow the extra funds to be used for promoting, marketing and subsidizing of major New Orleans sports events such as the Super Bowl and the NCAA Final Four basketball tournament.

Fields changed the bill to add the Bayou Classic to that prestigious group.

With the commitments to the Hornets and Saints, Dardenne said there isn't likely to be a surplus in the next few years.

"I think, as a practical matter, it's very unlikely that the Bayou Classic would ever get funded by this amendment because I think the money is going to get eaten up by the Saints and the Hornets, certainly in the first couple of years," Dardenne said.

The 4-percent hotel tax figures to generated $33.6 million last year, and projections call for it to grow by 3 percent to 5 percent a year.

Dardenne's amended bill passed by a 32-0 vote and now goes to the House for consideration.

They will never see any parts of that money....because the 2 pro teams will take every red cent of it and there is probably some loop hole in it to re-allocate funds for the dome stadium itself. It is all a ploy to make it appear that they will get some money just to make them give in and not make the hotels in NOLA give discounts for they Bayou Classic weekend. I say make them pay and move it for 2 years so they can see the economic force that it brings. Then in 2 years they will be giving up the farm to get that business back.

Fiyah,
Frat I feel ya on what you are saying. But I have learned that La Politics are something else. So all the chatter about moving the BC to Houston has died down and I am sure a deal of some sort has been struck under the table as usual and the BC will stay put. As far as this amendment is concerned, I am sure Cleo Fields has SU and GSU at heart being that he is a SU alum, so he will hopefully track where the funds go and if things are on the up and up. Maybe if the NBA doesn't vote yes on the move then the BC will only compete for funds from 1 pro team instead of 2. But who knows. Heck, I still think that NO isn't ready to be a NBA city either. If I was Stern I would force the Hornets owner to sell and keep the team in Charlotte. They have good fans, it's classic Houston and Bud Adams all over again. They hate the owner. Anyway it 's business as usual. I 'll be making reservations for New Orleans as always. Just my opinion.

The most important thing I got from the article is that SU/GSU will no longer have to pay for Superdome rental. That in itself is about 200K for each school

As far as the hotel money, it's always great to be in the FOOD CHAIN if money eventually becomes available.

Back