Spears among GSU possibles

Re: A word to the wise.......

Originally posted by JSU/99
What you should do is give him a 2 year deal now to prove himself on and off the field(recruiting). That should be enough time to evaluate him as a head coach.

JSU/99, this is exactly the way it should be handled.

Yanno

I just thought about something. I, like many others, just assume that the GSU administration will "do the right thing" and name Spears head coach but what are the possibilities that it might not happen? We have seen some crazy isht go on just in the SWAC in the last year or so regarding job openings so who's to say we don't have more crazy isht in store? Could it be possible that someone "in charge" may "ack negro-ish" and not want Spears to be Head Coach? Is it possible that the administration might only want a Gramblinite in as the top man?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I know for a fact that there are those that wants to bring Lee Fobbs in. He actually was their first choice before Doug.

Originally posted by bluedog
I know for a fact that there are those that wants to bring Lee Fobbs in. He actually was their first choice before Doug.

Williams - who was the head coach at Morehouse College in Atlanta in 1997 - was the logical choice at Grambling when Eddie Robinson announced his retirement.

Williams, who starred at quarterback at Grambling and later the NFL, eventually was selected in December 1997 from a list of three finalists that included longtime college assistant Lee Fobbs and Jerry Baldwin, who was coaching defensive ends at LSU.

Fobbs is an experienced college assistant and a former Grambling fullback (1968-72) who now coaches running backs at Texas A&M. Fobbs has a long resum? that include jobs at Alabama, Baylor, Minnesota, Southern Miss, LSU, Tulane and Louisiana-Monroe. He also served as a high school head coach at Wossman and Carroll. He began his career as a graduate assistant at Grambling under Robinson in 1975.

Baldwin eventually landed a Division I-A head coaching job but crashed and burned at Louisiana-Lafayette. ULL fired Baldwin in 2001 after the Ragin' Cajuns went 6-27 in three seasons under his direction.

LINK: http://www.thenewsstar.com/grambling/html/1957BB83-0398-4DAD-AA76-CF0A7CD926B6.shtml

Good and Bad!

I think it's good that Doug is gone because we need somebody that is going to stress beating the brakes off SU at all cost. But then it's bad b/c it's hard to ignore what Doug has already done for Gram, and his name bringing in recruits. I feel maybe Coach Spears will be the best choice at least short term.

Nell
C/O Fall 2000
New Orleans

Originally posted by lightningbug
Williams - who was the head coach at Morehouse College in Atlanta in 1997 - was the logical choice at Grambling when Eddie Robinson announced his retirement.

Williams, who starred at quarterback at Grambling and later the NFL, eventually was selected in December 1997 from a list of three finalists that included longtime college assistant Lee Fobbs and Jerry Baldwin, who was coaching defensive ends at LSU.

Fobbs is an experienced college assistant and a former Grambling fullback (1968-72) who now coaches running backs at Texas A&M. Fobbs has a long resum? that include jobs at Alabama, Baylor, Minnesota, Southern Miss, LSU, Tulane and Louisiana-Monroe. He also served as a high school head coach at Wossman and Carroll. He began his career as a graduate assistant at Grambling under Robinson in 1975.

Baldwin eventually landed a Division I-A head coaching job but crashed and burned at Louisiana-Lafayette. ULL fired Baldwin in 2001 after the Ragin' Cajuns went 6-27 in three seasons under his direction.

IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WANT TO ELABORATE ON?

Re: Good and Bad!

Originally posted by geezy76
I think it's good that Doug is gone because we need somebody that is going to stress beating the brakes off SU at all cost.

The regular season is 11 games.

I think some other names are going to surface aside from Spears. I mean Grambling is Grambling. The SWAC needs Grambling and I would hope that they do the best they can to bring in a top notch coach even if that happens to be Spears.

I am willing to bet that Comegy is going to put his name in the hat for this job. This is the job that Billy Joe wanted but Eddie would never retire. LC is also going to apply...he applies everywhere. But I think that Comegy would love to be at FAMU, TNState, JSU, Grambling or Southern. I don't think he was ever really serious about AAMU or Norfolk.

Re: Gsu 2005-06 Football Coach Lee Fobbs Or Melvin Spears

Originally posted by Hollygrove
IT'S A TOUGH CALL!!!

It goes without saying that the smart move is to have Melvin Spears head-up the squad in 2004. Continuity in philosophy, scheme, and atmosphere is a must for Eugene's last season. In addition, keeping the recruits happy includes keeping Spears as well.
The question is, do we tag him interim and give the job to Lee Fobbs next season, or do we give him a 4 year deal to win with the talent that he helped to bring in as head of recruiting.

I may be getting ahead of myself and putting my as_ in the street but I'll go out on a limb and say give Spears the interum tag and give the job to Fobbs next season

Originally posted by DonTiger
It goes without saying that the smart move is to have Melvin Spears head-up the squad in 2004. Continuity in philosophy, scheme, and atmosphere is a must for Eugene's last season. In addition, keeping the recruits happy includes keeping Spears as well.

That is all you really needed to say.

What has Fobbs done?

I mean what has he done in his career to say we should just had him the Grambling job like that. I'd say we should roll with Spears, we really don't need much change. Other that beat SU.

Nell
C/O Fall 2000
New Orleans

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
LLook for gram to stick with spears.Eugene loves spears and the whole team sdoes also.I think spears may end up like rob one day.He is an unknonwn too liek rob was .Did n't play at gram . i think he may be the one to beat the brakes off people with no mercy liek rob did.

I think the best solution would be for GSU to make Spears the interim gor the first year and that way they can accept applications for the job and see how it turns out.

Some of you should remember the last time a university went by who the players wanted for their coach they didn't recover from it until about 12yrs or so.

Can you say mike archer????

Back