Southland, OVC to propose permanent 12th game in FCS

I am for a home/home with a FCS school but I am totally against playing at FCS schools without a return game.

Prairie View - North Dakota St.
Prairie View - McNeese St.

Home/Home or no deal

Well NDST was basically a money game for us and it showed.
We have in the past played McNeese in home and home games.
With our new stadium coming aboard I would expect more home and home games. We already have SHSU schedule for home and home in 2017 & 2018.

The funny thing is, over the past few years, every single team in the SWAC has scheduled these types of teams at least once every few years except for one.....most aren't going to want to play them huh?

Bama State - SHSU, Jacksonville State
A&M - Coastal
Alcorn - JMU
Valley - Montana, Jacksonville State, Illinois State, Northwestern State
Southern - Northwestern State
Grambling - Lamar
UAPB - Tx State, McNeese
PV - Tx State, McNeese, SF Austin, Abilene Christian, Lamar, NDSU
Tx Southern - SHSU

bama state also had a series with tennessee state and has a 4 year deal starting with kennesaw state. unfortunately after JMU whipped us we ran from all fcs opponents. thanks for that hopson. should have found a home and home instead of a guarantee with one of the best fcs programs when you knew we weren't ready.

I live for the day when jsu would sched a jacksonville st, north dakota st, montana, mcneese, lamar, illst, et al schools for a home and home. Just like a typical toby from miss, you are inferior (your product).

UNLV - 102
jsu - 3

smh

It all depends on the culture and who the AD is. In the 90s, we played fellow 1-AA teams but now, with the FBS games in the way, we play them less. If any of those schools want to do a home-home with us, I am sure we would be open to it. But we not just gonna go to them.... Our AD would regret that decision.

..and i don't give a fugg about a UNLV game.....

We didn't have the luxury of negotiation time scheduling with Coastal. We added them at the last minute when a MEAC team dropped us at the last minute for an FBS game. Plus Coastal is moving to the Slum Belt.

The Slum Belt is actually a decent conference....
Also, what you posted is part of the problem. If they banned these FCS vs FBS games, you could see more FCS vs FCS games.

So what you're saying is, you cant get a single FCS team other than HBCU's to schedule a home and home with you? Pretty weak argument for a non small time team. And stop acting like you SU folks dont know why they paid you...because they knew you'd bring a lot of people and most likely to be able to see your band dance. Keep it real lol

That's the case with any of us but the point is.... they came to SU.

I am for it. If we go to 12 games though I have a funny feeling that we would go back to a 9 game format though giving us 3 OOC games.

1 FCS
1 FBS
1 D2

How about just 3 FCS teams? smh Some of you all are as bad as these ADs.

ovc as well

True...TP is just making excuses. Those schools would love to play them home and home...Gram and S.U. have to tell them (Southland) no pretty much otherwise they would consume all of our non conference games.

True...TP is just making excuses. Those schools would love to play them home and home...Gram and S.U. have to tell them (Southland) no pretty much otherwise they would consume all of our non conference games.

What excuse have I made? I am not the AD... lol I have no control of the schedule. If my AD wants to schedule UNLV, that's him. What I got to do with that? All i can do is go sit mad in the corner and pout! lol

..and besides, it's not my ADs fault. Its the fault of the system that allows FBS vs FCS games. We could schedule McNeese State for 2017 but if Arkansas calls them, JSU is azzed out. The rules need to disallow that call from Arkansas. Otherwise, college football will continue with the silliness...

Forgot, PV scheduled the SLC's ACU for a home(coming) game a few yrs back as well. PV has played every SLC member but UCA, UIW, & HBU w/in the last 15 yrs. PV does not run from competition, unlike some schools lol. Never scared of McNeese.

Forgot, PV scheduled the SLC's ACU for a home(coming) game a few yrs back as well. PV has played every SLC member but UCA, UIW, & HBU w/in the last 15 yrs. PV does not run from competition, unlike some schools lol. Never scared of McNeese.

Dude, YOU were not competition yourself... LOL

That's like Valley playing Montana... ummmm, that's not them being unafraid. That's their being willing to fly across country to take a good azz whoopin! Also, we have been playing the likes of MS State, Tulane, MTSU, etc... but I don't see that as stepping up in competition. It's just being pimped out. And if you want to play those games, be strategic about it.. why are we playing UNLV in the first game of a new system under a new coach? If you want to play UNLV, call them now and schedule it in 2018 or 2019.

Dude, YOU were not competition yourself... LOL

That's like Valley playing Montana... ummmm, that's not them being unafraid. That's their being willing to fly across country to take a good azz whoopin! Also, we have been playing the likes of MS State, Tulane, MTSU, etc... but I don't see that as stepping up in competition. It's just being pimped out. And if you want to play those games, be strategic about it.. why are we playing UNLV in the first game of a new system under a new coach? If you want to play UNLV, call them now and schedule it in 2018 or 2019.
Y'all sced of that pending ass whoopin' from the slc huh? Where I'm from, we call boy folks like that pussy. Y'all pussified ducking & dodging and all? :D When was the last game jsu sched vs an slc'er not involving the fcs playoffs? lolololololololololol rotff...lmmao

I just don't understand the total dislike for these payout games. I mean even if some of the SWAC schools schedule a home and home with these other FCS will the fans actually show up to support the school to help cover the money that was not made from playing the FBS? I'm all for the home and home thought of playing a FCS but at the end of the day these ADs and school Pres have a budget to keep in check and it damn sure don't consist of turning down a payday from a FBS to play a home game against Jacksonville St.
But if they allow that 12th game there should be space in there for a payday game as well as a competition check game against fellow FCS schools.

I just don't understand the total dislike for these payout games. I mean even if some of the SWAC schools schedule a home and home with these other FCS will the fans actually show up to support the school to help cover the money that was not made from playing the FBS? I'm all for the home and home thought of playing a FCS but at the end of the day these ADs and school Pres have a budget to keep in check and it damn sure don't consist of turning down a payday from a FBS to play a home game against Jacksonville St.
But if they allow that 12th game there should be space in there for a payday game as well as a competition check game against fellow FCS schools.
I kinda agree with you, until these fans start showing up in enough fashion that you Dnt need a payout then hey these AD's have to do what they have to do. Some Hbcu supporters make payday games seem so low class but even lower tier PWI have pay games for example MTSU and Auburn. MTSU got $900,000 for that game last year. Of course the media only talk about hbcu pay days but we are not the only ones. If a school can ever get up to the point they can turn down a pay day then yea I'm all for turning them down but until then it's either a payday game or possible canceling of the sport for most. One thing I do like about JSU is they try to schedule lower tier FBS versus some of these schools playing the Buckeyes and etc. Even the unlv is a good deal. The team gets 600,000 and the band also gets to travel without costing JSU. Las Vegas convention and bureau will pay for the band.

I do agree with both points that the ADs have to balance the books. We are not like most schools in FCS who can charge their students an arm and a leg to support athletics (James Madison, Norfolk St., etc.). James Madison charges their students over $1,0000 a year to support athletics that is the reason why they have a budget of over $36 million. That is mid-major territory. I feel we have to do more than just getting people to come out whenever we play Jackson St., Grambling, Southern, or Homecoming. With us increasing our fans against AAMU, Alabama St., Texas Southern, Prairie View, Valley, and UAPB we wouldn't have to depend on money games so much.

These internet ADs are something else. They neglect to see the business side in lieu of thinking similarly to the MEAC and AGS people with playing competition when at this point our fan bases don't care about Montana (who I think wouldn't come to a SWAC school at this point anyway for a home and home).

2017 was already going to be interesting with the 7 game mandate. Let this pass and a SWAC school have the option FIVE OOC games for at least next year (with hopefully no Faith or Lynchburg as an option).

I just don't understand the total dislike for these payout games.

Part of it is the embarrassing losses that come with it.

The other part is some folks want to believe their yearly attendance (revenue) is sufficient enough to not need a guaranteed 500k+ check. Some folks shyt apparently doesn't stink

@2kool @Jimmyoliver @In_The_662

As I've always said, I'm glad some of the people that post on message boards ARE NOT INVOLVED IN THE MANAGEMENT OF DIVISION I ATHLETIC DEPARTMENTS.

The 12th game for FCS is a preemptive strike to get an extra home game (more revenue) as it looks like the Power 5 will eventually move away from playing FCS schools.

Hell, there are group of five FBS schools that get them payout body-bag games.

As I've always said, I'm glad some of the people that post on message boards ARE NOT INVOLVED IN THE MANAGEMENT OF DIVISION I ATHLETIC DEPARTMENTS.

The 12th game for FCS is a preemptive strike to get an extra home game (more revenue) as it looks like the Power 5 will eventually move away from playing FCS schools.

They're too busy measuring each others johnsons to see what the hell's going on

Y'all sced of that pending ass whoopin' from the slc huh? Where I'm from, we call boy folks like that pussy. Y'all pussified ducking & dodging and all? :D When was the last game jsu sched vs an slc'er not involving the fcs playoffs? lolololololololololol rotff...lmmao

WHAT? If you could read and comprehend, you would see that my concern is that we playing money games rather the fellow FCS teams....

Who says getting an extra home game is more revenue? That is why I don't see the sense in the 12th game. The 12th game is clearly only a way to play more body bag games but the PROBLEM here is most people are not as smart as TP. When you have 100+ FBS teams and 100+ FCS teams... and the FBS teams can only schedule one FCS team, what are they going to do with that 12th game?

Also, if you are FBS and you want to schedule a FELLOW FBS team that you know gonna beat your azz.. then thats up to them. They paid their dues to be FBS so if they want the game, why not? These games are as stupid as Tulane playing the Saints....

Part of it is the embarrassing losses that come with it.

The other part is some folks want to believe their yearly attendance (revenue) is sufficient enough to not need a guaranteed 500k+ check. Some folks shyt apparently doesn't stink

Maybe so but neither of those are my reasons...

Also, on a personal note, I HATE when people say they are stepping up their game by playing these games.. ummm, if LSU chose to play SU, it's not SU stepping up anything. It bending over for a check... Let's just call it what it is and stop trying to fix it up as if the game is for competition. Can you imagine how excited FCS football would be if the FCS teams actually played each other? If JSU had four non-conference games and played Northwestern State, Samford, TNState, and Hampton. I would much prefer that over us playing some games that tell us nothing about ourselves.

Back