Southland, OVC to propose permanent 12th game in FCS

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!
http://sportsnola.com/ohio-valley-southland-propose-permanent-12th-game-fcs-football/

BRENTWOOD, Tenn./FRISCO, Texas – The Ohio Valley and Southland conferences will propose legislation for a permanent 12th football game in the NCAA Division I Football Championship subdivision. The proposal, that would permissively lift the current restriction of 11 regular season games in most seasons, is scheduled for submission into the 2016-17 NCAA Division I legislative cycle.

Currently, FCS programs are only permitted a 12th game in years when there are 13 weekends between Labor Day Weekend and the weekend prior to Thanksgiving, something that will naturally occur just four times over the next 15 seasons.

The permissive proposal will call for the weekend prior to the Labor Day weekend to become available for the initial games of an FCS season. FCS teams, like other Division I programs, are normally restricted to starting a season the Thursday prior to Labor Day, except those teams in the annual FCS Kickoff Game, a nationally-televised contest played on the earlier weekend, also referred to as “Week Zero.”

If it means 12-game seasons in 2017, then the SWAC going to the 7-game schedule would be kind of a blessing to some schools who want to get that sixth home game.

OH HELL NAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWL. We just gonna schedule mo azz whoopings.. smh

But wait! That might be good. Since the Big Boys can only play 1 FCS per year, that MIGHT encourage more FCS vs FCS games.

So if this goes down, it will go down for next year? (2017)

If that's the case, it will be hard to find pay days... LOL We will be playing Lynchburg.
For teams like FAMU and SU, it could get the series back going!
I'm ALL for this if it does not grossly add to the number of FBS vs FCS games...

Sooooo, are they going to push the playoffs back a week? Say it ain't so! That's the only way this will work unless FCS moves the season up a week like the D2 teams.

If that's the case, it will be hard to find pay days... LOL We will be playing Lynchburg.
For teams like FAMU and SU, it could get the series back going!
I'm ALL for this if it does not grossly add to the number of FBS vs FCS games...

I just pray our president hires an adequate AD to schedule games properly.

I don't like 8 but I agree..... I prefer 7 or 9 but if its 12, I see them just going back to 9. You will still get 3 OOC games.

I'd rather an 8-game conference schedule with a 12-game regular season. Four OOC games would be the max for schools to fill and create money making opportunities. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.

Ideally, you'll get 4 home/4 away with an eight-game conference slate. Everyone's happy with that balance. So that means you can go for two more home games, a neutral site and a road game.
Or you play up twice, have a neutral site game and a home game. The key to this is getting at least six home games.

I don't like 8 but I agree..... I prefer 7 or 9 but if its 12, I see them just going back to 9. You will still get 3 OOC games.

Basically.

The complaint was that there were not enough OOC games and many cases money games. Now this sets a stage where GSU, if handled correctly, could have a nice schedule.

I'd rather an 8-game conference schedule with a 12-game regular season. Four OOC games would be the max for schools to fill and create money making opportunities. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.

Ideally, you'll get 4 home/4 away with an eight-game conference slate. Everyone's happy with that balance. So that means you can go for two more home games, a neutral site and a road game.
Or you play up twice, have a neutral site game and a home game. The key to this is getting at least six home games.

Eight game would be cool also.

Really if the SWAC handled scheduling better the sky would be the limit. Yet, we have dip shit commissioner and some presidents who don't know jack shit.

Eight game would be cool also.

Really if the SWAC handled scheduling better the sky would be the limit. Yet, we have dip shit commissioner and some presidents who don't know jack shit.

Just thinking about it, 8-game schedule is either a true 4 home/4 away.

Or in Grambling's case 3 home/3 away/2 neutral site (State Fair and Bayou Classic)
For Southern it would be 4 home/3 away/1 neutral site (Bayou Classic)

Let's say for Southern...get 8-game schedule. So now you gotta try to work on 4 OOC games. Get a D2 for homecoming, an instersectional FCS game (Southland or MEAC) in Mumford, an FBS road game and an instersectional FCS game on the road/neutral site

I can see Southern trying to get six home games a year or Grambling getting five true home games per year. Prairie View, with their new stadium, should be champing at the bit for a 12-game schedule so they can get more home games.

I agree with this. It just seems natural since the 7 game mandate creates 4 OOC game opportunities that 8 would do the same thing.

If it means 12-game seasons in 2017, then the SWAC going to the 7-game schedule would be kind of a blessing to some schools who want to get that sixth home game.

Just more out of conference-conference foe games.....

If it goes to 12-game seasons permanently, then the SWAC should adopt an 8-game conference schedule.

They should have adopted a 8 game schedule in the 1st place, but they'll just go back to 9.

So.......while we talking about 2017, has the SWAC set a conference schedule for the upcoming seasons of 2017, 2018, 2019, and beyond so our schools can have an idea what dates they have open to schedule games?

Is playing that early worth it as the MVC schools such as North Dakota state already struggle to attract other fcs with incentives

Back