Southern's law center

JagBR

is expanding

www.2theadvocate.com/news/36815929.html

Southern University Law Center Chancellor Freddie Pitcher bounds through the law school’s construction zone, eagerly pointing out where new classrooms and library stacks will be located.

Still about six months from the law center’s two-floor, 9,000-square-foot expansion being completed, Pitcher already seems at home in his growing domain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is it true that there are limits on students working while enrolled in Southern's law program? And if so, are there exceptions made for individual circumstances?

Actually from what I remember when I was considering law schools, on a whole they advise you NOT to work your first year and many programs do go as far as to prohibit you from working...something to do with law school already being stressful enough without worrying about working also...

Actually from what I remember when I was considering law schools, on a whole they advise you NOT to work your first year and many programs do go as far as to prohibit you from working...something to do with law school already being stressful enough without worrying about working also...

She's correct. We "advise" students not to work their first year. Students in the second and third year work for lawyers as law clerks or at the Legislature or other offices, but we ask them to limit their workload to 20 hours a week because the study of law is a jealous mistress.

She's correct. We "advise" students not to work their first year. Students in the second and third year work for lawyers as law clerks or at the Legislature or other offices, but we ask them to limit their workload to 20 hours a week because the study of law is a jealous mistress.

Maybe I misread the catalog (I had been "partaking") but I thought if you were caught working more than 20 hours a week, you could be dismissed from the program. Is that not true>

Maybe I misread the catalog (I had been "partaking") but I thought if you were caught working more than 20 hours a week, you could be dismissed from the program. Is that not true>

You did not misread the catalog, but perhaps you misread my post. The ABA requires that students sign a committment not to work more than 20 hours a week. It is a violation of the Student Honor Code to work more than 20 hours a hour.

Back