Southern vs. Alabama A&M - Gulf Coast Challenge 2018

This loss doesn't bode well for the Jukes this early in the season. Doc is rolling in his grave over what they've become.

Doc would not care about no damn poll, thats why he never did Honda. LOL. If anything he would go back to being All Male and 128 pieces if that would be allowed if he was still living and in charge of the band.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Doc would not care about no damn poll, thats why he never did Honda. LOL. If anything he would go back to being All Male and 128 pieces if that would be allowed if he was still living and in charge of the band.

Oh Lawd!! We lost in the poll what is weez gon’ do???

This loss doesn't bode well for the Jukes this early in the season. Doc is rolling in his grave over what they've become.
No one gives a fugg about an online forum poll.

126699.jpg

So JR, you sayin that Doc didn't want women in his band? What did the doctor have against women?

Hmmm, somebody just posted a poll in post #21 from the same school, soooo somebody's not in sync.

Actually that wasn’t a poll. It was a ranking compiled by former band directors from various schools using specific criteria. Wayyyyyyy different.

So JR, you sayin that Doc didn't want women in his band? What did the doctor have against women?

He was military minded. Since he served. Ain’t no secret he was forced to take one. Personally it was a different vibe to band in my era without them.

There isn’t a band that claims to be ranked #1 by USA Today consistently as evidence that they’re the best..
There isn’t a band that puts promos out trashing the other band including halftimes all last year during a war which I’m all for... but better come correct..
There isn’t a fan base that believes its band can do no wrong but in the same breath will tell you it’s band is the best...

Like I’ve said many of times, double standards at southern. Any other band and they lost this battle over a mess up... but southern gets a pass because it’s southern. All I do is hold y’all to that “ranked 1 by USA Today” standard ... carry on though.

But AAMU had mess ups too lol. Did you even watch all the videos or are you just talking?

He was military minded. Since he served. Ain’t no secret he was forced to take one. Personally it was a different vibe to band in my era without them.
There were women in the military during his time.

There were women in the military during his time.

Don't believe the hype. Mae Robinson Brown was one of the first females to march in a Southern band in the early 1950's. Mae Robinson Brown was the sister of Dr. Dollye M.E. Robinson.

As Valedictorian, Brown graduated from the school in 1953 and ventured to Southern university in Louisiana as a music major on a music and academic scholarship. When she left Brookhaven, AA Alexander was principal of the school that bears his family name. From Southern, she came back to the school as band director in 1957 again under Alexander's leadership. "There were 17 members left rom the year before," Brown remembered. And, there were very few band instruments for band members. Her starting salary was $2300 a year. that was a great deal of money for a young, single woman just graduating from college.
mae-2.jpg

http://www.alexanderpanther.mysite.com/photo2_4.html

Don't believe the hype. Mae Robinson Brown was one of the first females to march in a Southern band in the early 1950's. Mae Robinson Brown was the sister of Dr. Dollye M.E. Robinson.

As Valedictorian, Brown graduated from the school in 1953 and ventured to Southern university in Louisiana as a music major on a music and academic scholarship. When she left Brookhaven, AA Alexander was principal of the school that bears his family name. From Southern, she came back to the school as band director in 1957 again under Alexander's leadership. "There were 17 members left rom the year before," Brown remembered. And, there were very few band instruments for band members. Her starting salary was $2300 a year. that was a great deal of money for a young, single woman just graduating from college.
mae-2.jpg

Was she in the band under Greggs? That’s the question. You’re acting as if you’re teaching something here hell Greggs marched under a female band director at Southern. Thanks for being a fan though!

Was she in the band under Greggs? That’s the question. You’re acting as if you’re teaching something here hell Greggs marched under a female band director at Southern. Thanks for being a fan though!

Mostly everyone respected and was a fan of Greggs.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

mae-2.jpg

Doc didn't take over SU Band until 1969. LOL.

You do realize Doc graduated SU in 1948. I don't think the military was women friendly back then. LOL.

The military didn't allow women in combat positions when I was in from 1985 to 1993. Just recently, military schools like VMI just started allowing admission to women. Doc Greggs had nothing against women, he just came from a different era/time period. I do believe up until the late 50's and the early 60's, Southern University's ROTC programs were segregated by men and women.

Last edited:
The military didn't allow women in combat positions when I was in from 1985 to 1993. Just recently, military schools like VMI just started allowing admission to women. Doc Greggs had nothing against women, he just came from a different era/time period. I do believe up until the late 50's and the early 60's, Southern University's ROTC programs were segregated by men and women.
Dude, comparing a band to military combat is not a logical comparison in no form or fashion.
That was outright discrimination against women no matter how yall try and slice it.
Doc was a greater than average band director, but one can't shove aside his seemingly disdain for women (especially dark-skinned) in bands directed by him.

Dude, comparing a band to military combat is not a logical comparison in no form or fashion.
That was outright discrimination against women no matter how yall try and slice it.
Doc was a greater than average band director, but one can't shove aside his seemingly disdain for women (especially dark-skinned) in bands directed by him.

Is wasn't only Doc who did. We liked it the way it was then too. So blame us as well. I take full responsibility for participating in that. Women tried out. Just didn't make it. And we have disproved the dark skinned thing with the picture of Doc's first set of Dolls. LOL.

BTW, Texas A&M was all male until the late 80s as well. Just like we didn't have women aboard Submarines when I was on active duty. It was the times.

LOL!!! You just can't let the man rest in peace. I'm sure you look back on everyone's past, you will find some old school discrimination. I guess you missed where I said military schools like VMI just started allowing admission to women, which is funded by taxpayer's dollars and long after Doc Greggs started allowing women to march in SU's band in 1988. But leave it to Ole Jayrob, Doc Greggs was the worst thing to women. Also, I do believe other public HBCU bands were once all male, but Doc Greggs just happened to be the last band director to make that change. I really can't see how you are mentally functional when it comes to people skin tone. A normal person could give a damn about Doc Greggs preference in a woman's skin tone.

How long has Doc Greggs not been SU band director and how long has he been dead??? If Jayrob feels that compassion about Doc Greggs discriminatory ways, he needs to file a lawsuit in East Baton Rouge Parish to set the record straight. I'm sure some ambulance chasing lawyer in Louisiana would love to take his case and money.

Last edited:
How long has Doc Greggs not been SU band director and how long has he been dead??? If Jayrob feels that compassion about Doc Greggs discriminatory way, he needs to file a lawsuit in East Baton Rouge Parish to set the record straight. I'm sure some ambulance chasing lawyer in Louisiana would love to his case and money.

The guy is pretty sad man.

The guy is pretty sad man.

It was no big secret Doc Greggs like light skin women. His wife Rose was a light skin woman whose family came from Natchitoches, LA. Her family is the Metoyer family, one of the first Creole families in Louisiana. Some men like them light and some men like them dark, which is a person's personal preference. And then there are men like me, I like beautiful women no matter how dark or light they are.

Last edited:
It was no big secret Doc Greggs like light skin women. His wife Rose was a light skin woman whose family came from Natchitoches, LA. Her family is the Metoyer family, one of the first Creole families in Louisiana. Some men like them light and some men like them dark, which is a person's personal preference. And then there are men like me, I like beautiful women no matter how dark or light they are.
FINALLY....a former Juke admits what folks have been saying for decades. Thanks this time for your honesty.
See, that wasn't so difficult. Just wish the Republicans could do the same.

Back