Southern vs. Alabama A&M - Gulf Coast Challenge 2018

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
At the 33:00 mark, the Jukes play "Summer Breeze". Without the recent woodwind additions, they wouldn't have been able to play that song or any song like it without better precision a year or two ago.
Kudos to them for tweaking their sound to be more BOOM-like.

You can tell Haymer is gone. SU sounds like they were not playing in unison. SU's sound & tempo was all over the place. AAMU's sound was composed and balanced.

Last edited:
Southern beginning to make a bad habit out of mess ups to.... f horn or trumpet jumped the gun on that Daniel ceasar which to me was the song of the night if that individual was paying attention to the director conducting.

The inaugural Gulf Coast Challenge at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala., featuring Alabama A&M and Southern University, was arguably the SWAC’s football game of the week.

And, arguably speaking, the bands, the Marching Maroon & White of Alabama A&M and the Human Jukebox of Southern, was the marquee halftime contest of the week.

Poll: Which band won the Gulf Coast Challenge halftime show?

This poll will close Tuesday at 11:59 p.m.

https://hbcusports.com/2018/09/23/p...allenge-halftime-show-alabama-am-or-southern/

Last edited:
There isnt a band on this forum that doesn't have mess ups lol. Let's just be clear.

There isn’t a band that claims to be ranked #1 by USA Today consistently as evidence that they’re the best..
There isn’t a band that puts promos out trashing the other band including halftimes all last year during a war which I’m all for... but better come correct..
There isn’t a fan base that believes its band can do no wrong but in the same breath will tell you it’s band is the best...

Like I’ve said many of times, double standards at southern. Any other band and they lost this battle over a mess up... but southern gets a pass because it’s southern. All I do is hold y’all to that “ranked 1 by USA Today” standard ... carry on though.

There isn’t a band that claims to be ranked #1 by USA Today consistently as evidence that they’re the best..
There isn’t a band that puts promos out trashing the other band including halftimes all last year during a war which I’m all for... but better come correct..
There isn’t a fan base that believes its band can do no wrong but in the same breath will tell you it’s band is the best...

Like I’ve said many of times, double standards at southern. Any other band and they lost this battle over a mess up... but southern gets a pass because it’s southern. All I do is hold y’all to that “ranked 1 by USA Today” standard ... carry on though.

You’re mad huh? LOL

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

USA Today ranked Southern the #1 HBCU Marching Band in 1991, Southern has been using this introduction at halftime for over 25 years! :(
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA Today Newspaper's Top Ten HBCU Marching Bands 1991 (1990 Band season)

1. Southern University: Does a good show on the field, and in the stands during the game. They do unusual things, like forming the score during the halftime show.

2. Jackson State: A classy band with a good sound.

3. Florida A&M: Has a very strong tradition. Set the standard by which bands are judged.

4. Grambling State: For years have been one of the bands by which others have been measured.

5. Norfolk State: Clear sound. Does good job with formations.

6. Howard: The most improved band over the past five years.

7. Alcorn State: The Golden Girls' (dance group) provocative show gets more attention than the band.

8. Tuskegee: Good sound and marching style. Shows have continuity.

9. South Carolina State: Good selection of music and strong sound.

10. Tennessee State: Another traditionally good band in the mold of Florida A&M and Grambling.

Honorable mentions: Alabama State, Texas Southern

NCAA ranks Southern's 'Human Jukebox' marching band second in nation in 2014
“This is also a pat on the back to the work of Assistant Director of Bands Nathan Haymer and Percussion Instructor Lorenzo Hart. While I will always consider the Human Jukebox to be the best college marching band in the nation, to be chosen second to Ohio State is truly an honor.”

https://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2014/01/ncaa_ranks_southerns_human_juk.html

Last edited:
The inaugural Gulf Coast Challenge at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala., featuring Alabama A&M and Southern University, was arguably the SWAC’s football game of the week.

And, arguably speaking, the bands, the Marching Maroon & White of Alabama A&M and the Human Jukebox of Southern, was the marquee halftime contest of the week.

Poll: Which band won the Gulf Coast Challenge halftime show?

This poll will close Tuesday at 11:59 p.m.

https://hbcusports.com/2018/09/23/p...allenge-halftime-show-alabama-am-or-southern/

Get those votes in!

a4df9aae-3b63-4172-b5c2-11eac82375fa.png

NCAA ranks Southern's 'Human Jukebox' marching band second in nation in 2014
“This is also a pat on the back to the work of Assistant Director of Bands Nathan Haymer and Percussion Instructor Lorenzo Hart. While I will always consider the Human Jukebox to be the best college marching band in the nation, to be chosen second to Ohio State is truly an honor.”

https://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2014/01/ncaa_ranks_southerns_human_juk.html

You forgot plenty of others......

6EFB57B7-2C55-45F2-9505-537FB314FE51.jpeg

You forgot plenty of others......

View attachment 6174

Your Band announcer claims "Your band is ranked #1 in the nation by USA today. Please post a poll, where your band is ranked #1 in the nation by USA today since 1991. THE UNDEFEATED is not USA today. Nice try! If you need help, please use responses #14 and #16 as a references. lol

Your Band announcer claims "Your band is ranked #1 in the nation by USA today. Please post a poll, where your band is ranked #1 in the nation by USA today since 1991. THE UNDEFEATED is not USA today. Nice try! If you need help, please use responses #14 and #16 as a references. lol

Well you did post more than just the USA Today ranking. Show me a band ranking USA Today has done since then. So it really doesn’t matter. Now go play in traffic.

Back