Southern University's Enrollment Drops

tomcat1

SU's enrollment dropped from 10,000 in 2004 to 6,900 this year. The administration blames the NEW BANNER system. What is really going on.

LSU and other area public colleges saw small student enrollment gains this fall while Southern University’s enrollment continued to decline, according to figures reported Wednesday.

Southern’s enrollment for the fall semester dipped below 7,000 students, a drop of more than 5 percent since last year, according to figures reported to the Board of Regents.

In addition to LSU, Baton Rouge Community College, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Southeastern Louisiana University and Capital Area Technical College all saw minor enrollment gains this year.

Despite fewer freshman and graduate students compared to last year, LSU had a small overall enrollment gain from 28,771 students to 28,985, because of more returning students, largely from LSU’s near-record freshman class last year.

Southern’s enrollment declined from 7,294 students last year to a 6,915 headcount this fall. But, last week, Chancellor James Llorens feared the enrollment might have dropped as low as 6,700 students

SU enrollment falls

Thank you very much Storm96. I wanted to share this because as HBCU graduates it isn't acceptable for the administration or the school to cause issues such as bad attitudes, financial aid fiascos, registration system problems and other important things that the administration should handle. All these issues mentioned exist at most HBCUs and the lack of employees concerns. I hate that those students left SU or any other HBCU because of a glitch as they call it in the Banner system. WE MUST DO BETTER and this is one reason why so many of our students leave our universitys and go to other schools and I don't blame them.

Thank you very much Storm96. I wanted to share this because as HBCU graduates it isn't acceptable for the administration or the school to cause issues such as bad attitudes, financial aid fiascos, registration system problems and other important things that the administration should handle. All these issues mentioned exist at most HBCUs and the lack of employees concerns. I hate that those students left SU or any other HBCU because of a glitch as they call it in the Banner system. WE MUST DO BETTER and this is one reason why so many of our students leave our universitys and go to other schools and I don't blame them.
From what I hear, it was a State of Louisiana problem. All school in the state had this problem.

From what I hear, it was a State of Louisiana problem. All school in the state had this problem.

The problem with these issues are compounded even further when there's a lack of jobs out there, and these students need to be in some one's classroom.

Last edited:
Back