Southern University Human Jukebox - Fall 2021 - 2022

I'm told that just under 200 members marched today at FanFest and did not include the Freshmen. Nonetheless the Jukebox sounded great. What was the name of that song they played near the end of their performance. The song included some words about "my money." They sounded really good.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Can’t wait to see the Jukebox when they travel to Troy. This is the first time that I’ll have a former student in a college band, and he chose to attend the great Southern University.

I find it funny young people and idiots online who don’t know any better say that SU will fall off because Simmons is at TxSU now. I told them the Jukebox has remained at the top after Doc left, Jackson left, & Haymer left. They have a formula & stick to it. SU will always remain one of the best bands.

Can’t wait to see the Jukebox when they travel to Troy. This is the first time that I’ll have a former student in a college band, and he chose to attend the great Southern University.

I find it funny young people and idiots online who don’t know any better say that SU will fall off because Simmons is at TxSU now. I told them the Jukebox has remained at the top after Doc left, Jackson left, & Haymer left. They have a formula & stick to it. SU will always remain one of the best bands.

Kenneth Collins is a monster of an arranger.

Bands are like Sports teams, the band with the most talented musicians will outperform the band with less talented musicians. During the Doc Gregg years at SU, we routinely had one of the smaller bands due to the size restrictions Doc placed on band because of how he wanted his band to look and sound. With this being said, SU's band could outperform larger bands, due to their shear talent level and precise song arrangements. A "GOOD" Director/Arranger, will write songs based upon the strength of their band and at SU, the arrangements shine because we have a band that's talented enough to make the arrangement sound the way it's written to be performed. The problem with some HBCU's is not the arrangement quality, BUT the quality of the band members to execute these arrangements. It's easy for SU to recruit band members because musicians want to play for this powerhouse marching band, just like the 5 Star players look the Alabama's of Football and the Duke's of Basketball.

Bands are like Sports teams, the band with the most talented musicians will outperform the band with less talented musicians. During the Doc Gregg years at SU, we routinely had one of the smaller bands due to the size restrictions Doc placed on band because of how he wanted his band to look and sound. With this being said, SU's band could outperform larger bands, due to their shear talent level and precise song arrangements. A "GOOD" Director/Arranger, will write songs based upon the strength of their band and at SU, the arrangements shine because we have a band that's talented enough to make the arrangement sound the way it's written to be performed. The problem with some HBCU's is not the arrangement quality, BUT the quality of the band members to execute these arrangements. It's easy for SU to recruit band members because musicians want to play for this powerhouse marching band, just like the 5 Star players look the Alabama's of Football and the Duke's of Basketball.
I like your analogy.

I worked with a guy who marched at SU & then transferred to NCAT. He said he was 3rd chair at SU, but when he got to NCAT they made him 1st chair lol

SU is one of the few HBCU bands that has had past members who are well known throughout the band world like they’re superstar athletes.

white dude Tim who played trumpet is well known in my era, and all of these young kids today rave about Glendon who marched on trumpet a few years back

Back