Southern U. Baseball Jaguars

JROCK

Preeminent
SU assistant Brathwaite joins Angels as scout

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Southern University baseball assistant coach Arnold Brathwaite is leaving to become an area scout for the Anaheim Angels.
Brathwaite will scout Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin and Minnesota for the Angels.

"I'm definitely excited," Brathwaite said. "Coaching has prepared me. I've been out there looking at different calibers of players. (Southern coach Roger) Cador's had a tremendous influence on me and my career."

Brathwaite, on Cador's staff since 1999, coached position players and manned first base. He had played at Southern in the mid-1990s, playing on two conference champions.

Cador said he's still mulling how he'll adjust his staff to replace Brathwaite.

Barrett Rey, Cador's pitching coach, is the only other full-time assistant. A former pitcher at Southern, he's in his seventh year on the staff.

"You develop an attachment to the kids, the ones you've seen grow up," Brathwaite said.

In turn, Cador could say the same about Brathwaite.

"First, I have to say that I really hate to lose him, because he is a member of our Jaguars family," Cador said. "But in the same breath, you have to be happy for him.

"Arnold has been a tremendous asset to our program over the last few years, and he is going to be missed.

"But at the same time he is going to a situation that he has always coveted -- a chance to work in Major League Baseball."

Brathwaite's departure continues what's been a steady pipeline to MLB under Cador's watch.

Brathwaite is the eighth former assistant or player of Cador's to join the front office of an MLB team. That includes Marco Paddy, the assistant director of player development for the Atlanta Braves.

"Even with his leaving, it will benefit us, because now we have yet another eye out there searching for talent," Cador said. "Those players that he will come across that are not ready for professional baseball, he can guide our way."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
On behalf of the SUAF-Dallas Chapter, I wish him great SUccess!

Southernly,
Edwin D. Moore
SUAF-Dallas Chapter President

Back