Southern Basketball coach Sean Woods signs top prospect in center Raheem Spencer

MUMFORD

Master Tiger Fricasseer
BY SCOTT RABALAIS | SPORTS COLUMNIST
MAR 31, 2020 - 10:54 PM

BATON ROUGE — Southern basketball coach Sean Woods has pulled off a remarkable coup by signing five-star prospect Raheem Spencer.

Spencer, the No. 2 center in the nation out of Fellowship Friendship Academy in New Berg, West Virginia, and the No. 15 overall prospect, signed with the Jaguars on Monday night. Spencer was recruited by LSU, Auburn, Connecticut, Kansas, Florida, Duke and Wake Forest, among others.

The 6-foot-11 Spencer is averaging 32.5 points a game and is hitting 58 percent of his shots from the floor.

"Raheem Spencer is the best scorer in the country," Woods said in a Southern release. "He also has a great ability to make everyone around him better." “This is a game changer”. “I hope this sets a trend for Southern and HBCU basketball recruitment going forward.

“I really wanted to go straight to the NBA,” said Spencer. “So I figured if I’m only going to play college ball for a year or 2, why not play for an HBCU?” “My daddy graduated from Southern”. “It was good enough for him, so it’ll be good enough for me.”

LINK

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

BATON ROUGE — Southern basketball coach Sean Woods has pulled off a remarkable coup by signing five-star prospect Raheem Spencer.

Spencer, the No. 2 center in the nation out of Fellowship Friendship Academy in New Berg, West Virginia, and the No. 15 overall prospect, signed with the Jaguars on Monday night. Spencer was recruited by LSU, Auburn, Connecticut, Kansas, Florida, Duke and Wake Forest, among others.

The 6-foot-11 Spencer is averaging 32.5 points a game and is hitting 58 percent of his shots from the floor.

"Raheem Spencer is the best scorer in the country," Woods said in a Southern release. "He also has a great ability to make everyone around him better." “This is a game changer”. “I hope this sets a trend for Southern and HBCU basketball recruitment going forward.

“I really wanted to go straight to the NBA,” said Spencer. “So I figured if I’m only going to play college ball for a year or 2, why not play for an HBCU?” “My daddy graduated from Southern”. “It was good enough for him, so it’ll be good enough for me.”

LINK

This is indeed a gaame changer. SWAC beware! I hope this coup puts HBCUs in the conversation of many future top prospects.

Last edited:

LINK
April Fools!

giphy.gif

It's too bad this isn't reality.

Back