Some SWAC coaches aren't living up to expectations

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
In my personal opinion after the first few weeks of football, it is abundantly clear that far too many of our coaches aren't living up to expectations .

Not simply because of losses but IMHO because they have fielded teams that look like that have no clue about what they are doing or trying to fAR too many times. Our own Dawson Odums leads the pack.

I fully expect use to be in the thick of things at the end of the season, but if all you coach or can coach is trying to just win those games. I can't see how that helps your fanbase or your players confidence

Thoughts

Last edited:

What about Jenkins and Hughes?

Hughes has the team trending in the right direction. We are young with about 40 or so new players but the difference in talent and play is clear. Once we learn how to finish games it's on. Jenkins was a championship calibre coach so he has definitely not lived up to expectations. Swac conference play begins this weekend so there's a lot of football left

Hughes is good. He is rebuilding a program rather than assembling a program based on a sea of transfers. It will take a little more time but things gonna be alright.

Yeah I got to give Hugh at least one more year before I honestly claim he's coming up short

I don't like the attitude of some people saying,"It's OK. We haven't played a conference game yet."

That lets me know that .. no matter how shitty our teams look in nonconference play, we have hope in that the SWAC is a mediocre conference.

Now that we can agree on

I don't like the attitude of some people saying,"It's OK. We haven't played a conference game yet."

That lets me know that .. no matter how shitty our teams look in nonconference play, we have hope in that the SWAC is a mediocre conference.
That's why it bothers the hell out of me that Grambling and J-State didn't take advantage of playing a "true" nonconference game in possibly playing another FCS opponent instead of playing each other.

That much is obvious, and I understand the business reason behind it. But with the 7-game scheduling format I'm sure both schools could survive if they had to go one year without playing each other every 5 or 6 years (or whatever the rotation is).

No need in beating a dead horse. With the history and tradition behind the schools we will always play them and Southern and of course Tn state.

My thoughts are that Southern has already lost big rivalry games with FAMU & TNST. Looks like the non conference formula should be....1 FBS, 2 FCS team (can be used to keep at least 1 rivalry game in tact even if is from differnt divisions) and 1 D2, FCS game or an add'l FBS team (pick your poison).

No way we should have played three FBS trans. It makes no sense. We should have played Vandy or UAB and the rest FCS schools.

No way we should have played three FBS trans. It makes no sense. We should have played Vandy or UAB and the rest FCS schools.

It makes sense when you understand that we need the money to both fund and improve the program. Only two guarantee games were planned, but UAB fell into our lap. The financial offer from them was too good to pass up-- $300K plus 40% of the tickets we sold.

This is why we need to hire people who can market our University and who can fund raise. Also why have a MBA program if you don't give them real world experience? Make them earn their degrees and give them projects to promote the University and sports programs. If you believe you are producing the best and brightest prove and show it. No excuses. Every thing isn't the white man fault. The problem is HBCUS hire worthless and useless people.

It makes sense when you understand that we need the money to both fund and improve the program. Only two guarantee games were planned, but UAB fell into our lap. The financial offer from them was too good to pass up-- $300K plus 40% of the tickets we sold.

Last edited:
In my personal opinion after the first few weeks of football, it is abundantly clear that far too many of our coaches aren't living up to expectations .

Not simply because of losses but IMHO because they have fielded teams that look like that have no clue about what they are doing or trying to fAR too many times. Our own Dawson Odums leads the pack.

I fully expect use to be in the thick of things at the end of the season, but if all you coach or can coach is trying to just win those games. I can't see how that helps your fanbase or your players confidence

Thoughts

I have no idea what the fugg you just typed.

That much is obvious, and I understand the business reason behind it. But with the 7-game scheduling format I'm sure both schools could survive if they had to go one year without playing each other every 5 or 6 years (or whatever the rotation is).

Unless there is a better option, why not? The ACC is considering conference games that dont count in the leauge standings as well and I TOTALLY support that. I am 100% against playing money games. I know we need it but if I can play TCU or Grambling, I prefer Grambling.

The 7 game format is good IF schools knew how to schedule. AAMU scheduled THREE FBS teams and have been outscored 200-0 already. What's the point? But until FBS-FCS games are banned or limited, we in for this foolishness which is why I FULLY SUPPORT THE 9 GAME MANDATE. I hope we go back to it. The NCAA also needs to limit the number of FBS games and FCS school can have to one. Why you using your kids as a fundraiser? If your program is that bad off, go D2.

Back