Some fun SWAC basketball facts

bjnt922

-Among both current and future members, every school except for Bethune has produced at least one NBA player.

-Six of the 12 school have produced at least one 1st round pick. Texas Southern, Prairie View A&M, Southern, Grambling, Jackson State, and Alabama State.

-The highest NBA Draft Pick from the SWAC is Zelmo Beaty (Prairie View A&M) who went 3rd overall 1962.

-There have been two NBA Rookie Of The Year award winners. Willis Reed 1965 (Grambling) and Woody Sauldsberry 1958 (Texas Southern) and one League MVP (Reed).

-All schools except for Bethune and Grambling have at least one NCAA tournament appearance.

-Alcorn State was the first HBCU to win an NCAA tournament game.

-Three players from the SWAC have lead the nation in scoring. Tony Murphy 79-80 (Southern), Kevin Granger 95-96 (Texas Southern) and Harry "Machine Gun" Kelly (Texas Southern) 81-82 and 82-83. Three in rebounding Larry Smith 79-80 (Alcorn State), Darryl Watson 80-81 (Mississippi Valley State), and Marcus Mann 95-96 (Mississippi Valley State). One in assists Avery Johnson 86-87 and 87-88 (Southern). Three in steals Aldwin Ware 87-88 (Florida A&M), Desmond Cambridge 01-02 ( Alabama A&M), and Obbie Trotter 04-05 (Alabama A&M).

So when someone tells you that the SWAC is only about football hit em with these facts.

AAU killed Swac basketball as kids from areas we could hide started getting exposed and offered overnight. We had legit scorers in the 90s

the transfer portal has helped tremendously as you now have access back to those kids who oversign. Previously you had to have a coach with connections as some schools would go out their way to not send them to a hbcu

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Southern University is the only SWAC school to have all Starting Five players drafted: In 1978, Collie Davis, Tommy Green, Frankie Sanders, Pop Green, and Lionel (forgot his last name) were all drafted into the NBA with Carl Stewart as the head coach.

Lionel Garrett

Marcus Mann is still the last player from the SWAC to be drafted in the NBA (I think Tre Johnson might be the last SWAC player to play in the league)

Al Ford we know was a victim of NBA politics but is a legend in the Euroleague. The league's leading scorer award is named in his honor

Southern University is the only SWAC school to have all Starting Five players drafted: In 1978, Collie Davis, Tommy Green, Frankie Sanders, Pop Green, and Lionel (forgot his last name) were all drafted into the NBA with Carl Stewart as the head coach.
I posted that program. I found it a couple years ago going thru my dad things after he passed.

Marcus Mann is still the last player from the SWAC to be drafted in the NBA (I think Tre Johnson might be the last SWAC player to play in the league)

Al Ford we know was a victim of NBA politics but is a legend in the Euroleague. The league's leading scorer award is named in his honor

Mickel Gladness from Alabama A&M was the last. Although technically you could Zach Lofton was the last one. Even though he only played one season in the SWAC. Speaking of Gladness, him and Jerome James of FAMU are the only SWAC players to lead the nation in blocks.

Gladness was

Y’all forgot about Jervaughn Scales from SU who finished in the top 5 in both scoring and rebounding in the country in 1994. He had 27 pts and 18 rebounds again Georgia Tech in the NCAA tournament. He also led the country in scoring and rebounding for much of the 93-94 season, and was featured in Sports Illustrated. He is still playing pro ball overseas today.

Y’all forgot about Jervaughn Scales from SU who finished in the top 5 in both scoring and rebounding in the country in 1994. He had 27 pts and 18 rebounds again Georgia Tech in the NCAA tournament. He also led the country in scoring and rebounding for much of the 93-94 season, and was featured in Sports Illustrated. He is still playing pro ball overseas today.

1594068697931.png

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back