Social Distancing Issues Facing Bands

TruBluJAG

Smooth as ICE '06' Style
Due to the close proximity of bands members to one another, will it be impossible to create social distancing in a band room and stands as well? I don't see how this can be implemented, your thoughts or concerns...…..

Due to the close proximity of bands members to one another, will it be impossible to create social distancing in a band room and stands as well? I don't see how this can be implemented, your thoughts or concerns...…..

I agree with you! Think maybe the band could do just stand performances seated 4 to 6 feet apart? But if there are no fans then there wiould be no need for bands!

All of these things haven't been discussed yet. I know the CDC recommended no assemblies and for classrooms to have students seated 6 ft. apart (although we know that's impossible in most K-12 classrooms without heavily reducing the number of students in a class). I don't think schools have really thought about things like this yet.

Based on the size of most HBCU band rooms I've seen, it would be hard to properly social distance with 50, let alone 200+.

All of these things haven't been discussed yet. I know the CDC recommended no assemblies and for classrooms to have students seated 6 ft. apart (although we know that's impossible in most K-12 classrooms without heavily reducing the number of students in a class). I don't think schools have really thought about things like this yet.

It is my understanding that some Louisiana school districts, including East Baton Rouge, are considering having students report to classes on alternating days in an effort to accomodate social distancing guidelines.

It is my understanding that some Louisiana school districts, including East Baton Rouge, are considering having students report to classes on alternating days in an effort to accomodate social distancing guidelines.
I think thats the route every system will do... that basically splits the schools population in half.... Half will go on Monday and Wed and The other half on Tuesday and Thursday.... and Friday will be an “e-learning day” ... this is the schedule that ive heard is possible in my area.

No way in hell to social distance.

In the stands, it's possible but you just need to block off more of the stands.

On the field, it is gonna be interesting but I think it can be pulled off

The fans in the stands will be the bigger challenge

In the stands, it's possible but you just need to block off more of the stands.

On the field, it is gonna be interesting but I think it can be pulled off

The fans in the stands will be the bigger challenge
I think the football players would probably face more health risks on the field than band members. lol

Last edited:
Our state released some guidelines for extracurricular activities.

Phase I- 10 (including adults) and no contact sports

Phase 2- 25

Phase 3- 50

K-12 schools will have to group students differently to cut down on class sizes (because they love to try and crowd 40+ kids in one classroom for our classes). There were some mentions of splitting routes to cut down on the number of children on the bus at one time. College groups may have to consider splitting the band into smaller ensembles or doing section rehearsals at certain scheduled times to learn music. I'm guessing if there is a football season they may allow bands to keep their normal stands formations.

I still dont think social distancing in an enclosed room is going to work worth a damn. Outside, sure, but if a mofo sneeze in a closed in room its going in every direction and its likely going to spread further than 6 feet. China showed a diagram of a bar where one person infected like 10 people and not a single one of them were within 6 feet of his table other than the one that was actually sitting at his table. Factor in A/C, fans, etc....it wont be long before there's an outbreaks at schools.

NBA basically told their players the only way that they'll be able to finish the season is if the players are ok with the fact that other players WILL test positive. Basically you're going to risk getting it at some point if you play. Same will go for football, band and anything else that has a bunch of people together in one place.

I still dont think social distancing in an enclosed room is going to work worth a damn. Outside, sure, but if a mofo sneeze in a closed in room its going in every direction and its likely going to spread further than 6 feet. China showed a diagram of a bar where one person infected like 10 people and not a single one of them were within 6 feet of his table other than the one that was actually sitting at his table. Factor in A/C, fans, etc....it wont be long before there's an outbreaks at schools.

NBA basically told their players the only way that they'll be able to finish the season is if the players are ok with the fact that other players WILL test positive. Basically you're going to risk getting it at some point if you play. Same will go for football, band and anything else that has a bunch of people together in one place.

Everything you said is true. The whole 6 foot rule is stupid because the virus can spread about about 15 feet and it will still be in the air for a few hours. People need to realize you will probably catch it one way or another. It will all matter how your body reacts to it.

There's no getting around it. Might as well go with the herd immunity rule

There's no getting around it. Might as well go with the herd immunity rule

There's no such thing as herd immunity with COVID-19 .... Sweden tried it and it ain't working. Most doctors in Sweden have been calling an end for herd immunity enacted by their government. The UK tried it as well and they quickly stopped once they realize it wasn't working.

A school in Braswell ISD had band camp this past week and took several precautions to rehearsal. I guess we'll know how effective they were in about 2-3 weeks.

Looks like the smart move would be to find an effective way for the educational program to work in the upcoming year and skip the sports and extra curricular activities. Once someone contracts the virus in a school setting and dies and the contact tracing identifies other related cases, the litigations will begin. There’s a lot of risk just with the education program, so the extra curricular activities that can’t be done safely have to be seen as a bridge too far. The oval office malpractice back in January screwed this country.

Back