Slocum out after 6-6 season with A&M

EB

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1202/1470125.html

http://www.aggiesports.com/football/news/120202statement.htm

OK, I know that this is not an HBCU story. But it is related to us, particularly at PV. Why? Consider this. A&M will play PV in basketball twice this week. The women will play on Tuesday while the men will play on Saturday.

Understand that it is one thing to play for a seed in the postseason. It is another thing to play for your coaches job.

Now, I do not know whose idea it was to fire Slocum. The rich alumni or former students at A&M may have said that Slocum must go. Anyway, I hear that Gates is a basketball fan. So Melvin Watkins and Peggy Gillom, both Black basketball coaches, need to watch their back and win. For their own sake they need to win big.

Note that Texas A&M fired the winningest coach in football history. This was a coach who won five conference titles. The big schools do not play.

I 'm in Houston and you would swear the President has been assassinated with all the radio and television news breaks.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by EB
http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1202/1470125.html

http://www.aggiesports.com/football/news/120202statement.htm

OK, I know that this is not an HBCU story. But it is related to us, particularly at PV. Why? Consider this. A&M will play PV in basketball twice this week. The women will play on Tuesday while the men will play on Saturday.

Understand that it is one thing to play for a seed in the postseason. It is another thing to play for your coaches job.

Now, I do not know whose idea it was to fire Slocum. The rich alumni or former students at A&M may have said that Slocum must go. Anyway, I hear that Gates is a basketball fan. So Melvin Watkins and Peggy Gillom, both Black basketball coaches, need to watch their back and win. For their own sake they need to win big.

Note that Texas A&M fired the winningest coach in football history. This was a coach who won five conference titles. The big schools do not play.

I hear ya EB, but Slocum never did win the big game. He would pull an upset evey once in a while. But he was just not advancing A&M like he should. I said once Mack Brown started getting all those recruits and locked up Texas HS players that Slocum would be fired. The talent level has dropped considerably since Mack arrived in Austin. Then Slocum never wanted to have a modern offense. All he wanted was to run, run,, run. Well hell you got to be able to throw some. Until this year they never recruited any black QBs. Always those sad azz white QBs. He got over while UT was going through the Mackovic era. But you knew that A&M alums and boosters were going to keep putting up with losses to Texas Tech and being out recruited by Mack Brown. Even though Mack has not produced a National Champion yet. He is doing one thing. He is beating A&M.

Actually this firing is 2 years late in my book. Jackie Sherrill may have cheated will he was A&M's coach, but he had them boys ready to play every Saturday. Kevin Murray was the man and the wrecking crew was hella. Sherrill had a good balanced offense and hella defense. Slocum teams could play defense and run the ball and that's all. But if they ever got behind they were out of luck. Plus he never could keep a OC because of his style. Bob Toledo and Bob Davie both left because of RC. Now my question is who is A&M after? Is it Franchione? DOes he leave Bama before more ish hit the fan with the NCAA? He walked into a buzz saw with those violations that were before his time. Or does the Jimmy Johnson rumors resurface. They need to get a coach with name recognition that can coach and recruit and have some offensive imagination. I am sure longtime Denver Bronco assistant and A&M alum Gary Kubiak is also an option. I think he has passed on interviewing for other jobs waiting for the A&M job. Should be interesting.

EB,

Believe me, this has nothing to do with the black coaches at A&M and the basketball programs at A&M, this is all about football and nothing else.

The folks at A&M are simply tired of seeing UT's name constantly mentioned in the BCS race. On top of that RC simply wasn't getting the job done.

They are going to try hard as a MOFO to get Dennis Francionie from Alabama.

SOG,
I understand that this particular move has nothing to do with basketball and those Black coaches. TAMU is a football school first. Basketball is not in second place IMHO. But if the president is a basketball fan as some have said, then those hoops' coaches will be coaching their behinds off this season, especially in their upcoming games against PV. Losing to Kansas or Oklahoma in men's basketball or Kansas State or Texas Tech in women's basketball is one thing to them. Losing to PV, men's or women's, is another.

Just as a good football program can bring in the big bucks, basketball does too. Gates saw that Kansas, Missouri, Texas, and Oklahoma made big runs in the NCAA tournament last season. The seasons by those teams brought in a lot of money for those schools.

What Mack Brown has done at Texas has been talked a lot. This is so even though he has never won a conference title in his career and lost to Oklahoma the last three times. But A&M has commitments from a lot of top high school players. It will be interesting to see if they sign somewhere else.

As for Jackie Sherill he has won everwhere he has been although the last two years have been hard on him. But the probation years took their toll on the old SWC. People do not want Sherill back in College Station.

As for Dennis Franchione they will break the bank for him. Alabama will be on probation for another three years and will lose at least 21 scholarships.

Below is a small part of a colum by the Houston Chronicle's John Lopez.

Slocum also could do nothing about a hidden hurdle in building a power. At Texas, Oklahoma and virtually every other Big 12 school, a general studies degree program that allows players with grade-point averages lower than what might get them into, say, business or political science school, is in place.

At A&M, incoming freshmen who might qualify for entrance into the university but not for specific degree programs must enter the agricultural college. In recent years, several recruits have slipped through Slocum's fingers at the last moment because of the academic hurdle.

As one competing coach once told a recruit, "Why do you want to go to A&M? You're just going to go gut chickens."

Speaking of basketball A&M beat OU 71-65 in College Station. Understand that is Michigan's Oakland University. The game between TAMU and PVAMU will be interesting to say the least. I am afraid that tickets will be hard to get.

actually this story has been playin out here in alabama for a few weeks. tamu is about to hire a new ad - rumored to be the current ad at nebraska, and that ad is about to make a run at coach fran at univ of alabama. they have been boys from way back and coach fran is a texas boy, in addition to the ncaa possibly coming back to look at a few more things at univ of alabama, he is considering a move. and it is not about raising his salary at bama - they have had a 15 yr - $18-20 mil dollar contract on the table for him to sign since the middle of the season, but he has yet to sign it. so stay tuned and see how this plays out. frankly i can give less than a damn :rolleyes:

I think that A&M is barking up the wrong tree trying to go for Coach Fran. Franchione is in a great place, even with probation, and he knows it. He is also a great businessman. Yeah they are reportedly offering 15mill over 5 years, but if they got rid of the most winningest coach in A&M history who was in his third year of a 7 year deal, then that equals no job security.

Now as for his situation in Tuscaloosa. Even with probation, he is in a good situation. He has done something that no other Alabama coach since "A.B." (after Bear) has done and that is to get the Crimson Nation to love him. The only reason that they like Stallings was because of the '92 title. The "Bama" faithful are aware of the probation and that sooner or later the team will feel the effects, but if he could go 10-3 on probation and have the possibility of a top 5 recruiting class all while facing sanctions, what will he do off.

Franchoine's not going anywhere.

Back