Singer Jackie Neal

JagBR said:
Blues Lovers, Singer Jackie Neal was murdered.
Wow!!! Are you serious?

I hadn't heard of Jackie Neal until a couple of years ago while going through South Louisiana on my way to the BC. She was a in studio guest on one of the local radio stations talking about a new album that was coming out. They played some of the songs from the album and I was laughing my ass off they were so funny. I instantly became a fan.

Hate to hear that about Jackie.

Never heard of her, but never glad to hear such news about anyone. May she RIP, and may GOD give her family the strength they'll need. :(

I read this in this on 2theadvocate I met Jackie about 2 years ago she was regional blues singer she had a show up here near Starkville Miss. tonight. If any of you have come to the tailgate parties at SU Jackie usually performed at the post game party.

SU's Finest '93 said:
Never heard of her, but never glad to hear such news about anyone. May she RIP, and may GOD give her family the strength they'll need. :(

Finest, her dad was Raful Neal. He was a long time blues singer in and aroung the BR Area.

I figured she was a local artist, but she won me over when I heard the words to her song, "I'm not in love with you, I just in love with yo stuff!" :lol:

Dayum I hate to hear this.

Yes indeed, she laid it down didn't she? SOGGY have you heard "That's How We Roll?" I love it and you will too, it's on her last CD.

Raful Neal died last fall. The Neal family's band is awesome. The son Kenny and the daughter Jackie were the headliners. The band played before and after Southern's home football games this year. They missed one, to bury Raf, but were back the next game. They are a very close knit family and were deeply sorrowed by the passing of the family's patriach, I know this has devastated them.

They played for the Mayor's inagural ball and did they turn it out! :tup:

So sad...

I heard the news from a church member who was at the salon at the time Jackie was murdered. We got the call at about 8:30 last night. :bawling:

RIP Jackie.

People were all over the place at the Great Hall.

Overflow crowd turns out for Jackie Neal's funeral
By JOSH NOEL
jnoel@theadvocate.com
Advocate staff writer

Nearly 3,000 people jammed the Great Hall at the Bellemont to pay respects Tuesday to the slain Baton Rouge blues and soul singer, a crowd so overwhelming that some of it had to be turned away.
The crush of mourners filled entrances into the hall throughout the morning as visitors jockeyed for position near Neal's open casket.

But about 45 minutes before the service, her family tried to clear the hall of everyone but Neal's relatives in an effort to restore calm.

"I just wish they could have turned up for her like that while she was living," said Neal's first cousin, Kristy Jackson, 28. "If she could have had this much love when she was living, how great would that be?"

Even after an extra ballroom was opened for the 1 p.m. religious service, hundreds of mourners were still left in the hall's foyer while police and firefighters guarded the doors.

Far more people -- as many as 1,000 -- tried to view Neal in her casket, but were unable because the crowd was too large. Many of those people were able to get into the service, but still left disappointed.

"I really wanted to see her, but I couldn't," said Earl Johnson, 37, a Baton Rouge firefighter who said he was a friend of Neal's. "It would have been my last time seeing her on this side."

Just then, Roy Roberts, 49, who said he grew up with Neal in Erwinville, leaned in and said, "She looked beautiful."

For four hours before the service, Neal laid amid the aroma of fresh flowers in an open white casket.

She wore a rose-pink dress adorned at the chest with feathers of the same color and sparkling snowflake-shaped earrings. Her lips and eyelids were painted red and her hair, cropped close at the sides, was spiked on top.

My Mother told me how big her funeral was....:( I didn't know her, but most Baton Rougeons did.

GOD rest her soul..RIP

I didn't know her but did see her R V at the games. I have heard rumors. But that is always the case when someone is killed.Did you hear what I heard?

cat daddy said:
I'll just say that dude could have had a lot of fun had he played his cards right. :ebrow:

Dude you wrong..(but I couldn't help but lmao).

Jackie was good people...Several years ago her Dad, She, and Ray Jr played at our club in North La. I used to visit them over at the old Peyton Lounge on Arcadian when they opened it as Neal's Place. Good people and talented family.

Back