Singer Aaliyah killed in plane crash

J-State Tiger

Senate Candidate #7
Aaliyah killed in plane crash.

:bawling: :bawling:

MARSH HARBOUR, Bahamas (AP) - R&B singer and actress Aaliyah died Saturday when a small plane that was to carry her and eight others back to the United States crashed after takeoff in the Bahamas, authorities said.

Eight were killed, and one critically injured man was flown to Florida for treatment, officials said.

"We find it devastating and most unfortunate that after having this world-famous star Aaliyah and her crew select the Bahamas as their choice location for her latest video, the project has climaxed on such a tragic note," said Minister of Tourism Tommy Turnquest, who happened to be visiting Abaco Island, where the plane went down.

Aaliyah's song "Try Again" earned her a Grammy nomination for best female R&B vocalist. She made her feature acting debut in the film "Romeo Must Die."

Bahamian national television quoted the civil aviation department as saying Aaliyah was among nine Americans on board.

The private plane was leaving the Marsh Harbour airport on a trip to Opa-locka, Fla. when it went down Saturday evening, said police spokesman Marvin Dames.

Abaco Island Chief Councilor Silbert Mills said those killed included two women and six men.

Islander Derek Russell, who worked for the group during the video shoot, said he got the artist's autograph before the accident.

"She's a nice girl, a friendly girl," he said.

The cause of the crash was unclear. Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration in Atlanta, said the plane was a Cessna 402 owned by Skystream, a company based in Pembroke Pines, Fla. She said the plane crashed at the end of the airport's runway at 6:50 p.m.

:bawling: :bawling:

I guess we heard at the same time....man, this is hard to handle. She had always been one of my favorite people. :(

I dont think anyone had a bad word to say about aaliyah. This is Very sad. I'll be staying home and watching aaliyah tributes monday.

This is so sad. Aaliyah was beautiful young lady. I'm just speechless. Life is just too short. My prayers go out to her family. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I cannot count the times that I have heard that tomorrow is not promised. She died so young.

May her soul rest in peace. My sympathies go out to her family.

I'm stunned...I was checking out the board before going to bed and found this sad news.

My prayers to her family, fans, and loved ones. God Bless Her!

more on the story

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/living/aaliyah/0826crash.html

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 8.26.2001]
R&B singer and actress Aaliyah killed in plane crash

The Associated Press

AP
Twin engine Cessna carrying Aaliyah and her film crew crashed shortly after takeoff in the Bahamas. Seven others died in the crash.
MARSH HARBOUR, Bahamas - R&B singer and actress Aaliyah died after a small plane that was to carry her and eight others back to the United States crashed after takeoff in the Bahamas, authorities said.

Eight were killed in Saturday's crash, and one critically injured man was flown to Florida for treatment, officials said.

''We find it devastating and most unfortunate that after having this world-famous star Aaliyah and her crew select the Bahamas as their choice location for her latest video, the project has climaxed on such a tragic note,'' said Minister of Tourism Tommy Turnquest, who happened to be visiting Abaco Island, where the plane went down.

Aaliyah, 22, was to begin shooting the video for ''Rock The Boat'' this month in Miami, according to her Web site. It was not clear whether she filmed that video while in the Bahamas.

Aaliyah's song ''Try Again'' earned her a Grammy nomination for best female R&B vocalist. She made her feature acting debut in the film ''Romeo Must Die.'' She also had signed on to appear in two sequels to the high-tech thriller ''The Matrix.''

''She was like one of my daughters, she was one of the sweetest girls in the world,'' said Quincy Jones, 68, the Grammy-winning producer, arranger and composer. ''She vacationed with me and my family together in Fiji. I loved her and respected her and I am absolutely devastated.''

The private plane was leaving the Marsh Harbour airport on a trip to Opa-locka, Fla. when it went down Saturday evening, said police spokesman Marvin Dames. Marsh Harbour is located about 100 miles north of Nassau.

After the crash, the mangled twin-engine plane rested about 75 yards from the end of the runway in a marshy area. Workers carried away badly burned bodies and laid them nearby. Pieces of the plane were strewn about the crash site.

Abaco Island Chief Councilor Silbert Mills said those killed included two women and six men. He said he happened to be at the airport and saw the plane taxi out. The next thing he knew, the plane was on the ground. He said he helped rescue the injured.

''I pulled one from the aircraft, and he was screaming,'' Mills said. ''He said he was in a lot of pain.''

The cause of the crash was unclear. Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration in Atlanta, said the plane was a Cessna 402 owned by Skystream, a company based in Pembroke Pines, Florida. She said the plane crashed at the end of the airport's runway at 6:50 p.m

I was not a 'huge' Aaliyah fan, but this really disturbs me. She was so young and talented. We have truly lost one of the jewels of the music industry.

Let me add that may the souls of the other victims rest in peace too. To the one who survived, may they get well soon. My sympathies also go out to the families of the other victims as well.

Damn

I just heard the news. As I was preparing for bed last night, I heard them talking about a small plane crashing on its way to Miami. They never mentioned any names, then when I woke up I see and hear this terrible news all over. This is indeed a sad day in the entertainment industry. My prayer go out to her family and fans around the world. She will be truly missed! :bawling:

I for one was a huge fan.. I don' think there are not too many fans greater than me. It kinda hard to take knowing there was so much on the horizon for her. And it is really disturbing when someone dies tragically who is young...

Here is another article I found.....

Its about the same story but a lil more info.

They are reporting that the man survived the crash later died on the way to the hospital.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/26/death.aaliyah/index.html[/url][/url]

ABACO, Bahamas (CNN) -- American R&B singer and actress Aaliyah is among nine people killed in a plane crash in the Bahamas.

The Cessna passenger plane crashed and burst into flames shortly after taking off from the island of Abaco bound for Miami on Saturday night, police said.

Grand Bahamas Police Superintendent Basil Rahming said there were nine people -- all Americans -- on board the plane. One man died at 3:30 a.m. ET shortly before he was scheduled to be airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida, Rhaming said.

Aaliyah, 22, who was set to appear in the forthcoming sequel to "The Matrix," was on the island to film a new video.

Police said the plane was leaving Marsh Harbour airport around 6:50 p.m. ET when it crashed and was engulfed by flames.

FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the Cessna 402 was registered to Sky Stream of Pembroke Pines, Florida, and had been destined for Opa Locka, Florida.

EXTRA INFORMATION
Gallery: About Aaliyah

"Everyone's in total shock," Rahming said. "You know, Abaco is a small island and we've never heard of anything ... like this before."

Gloria Knowles, who works for Abaco Air Ltd. at Marsh Harbour airport, said baggage handlers reported the plane was overloaded with suitcases.

She said the handlers and the plane's pilot complained about the heavy load but the passengers insisted on taking everything with them.

Quincy Jones, 68, the Grammy-winning producer, arranger and composer, said he was devastated by Aaliyah's death.

He said: "She was like one of my daughters, she was one of the sweetest girls in the world.

"She vacationed with me and my family together in Fiji. I loved her and respected her and I am absolutely devastated."

The Bahamas' Minister of Tourism Tommy Turnquest told Associated Press: "We find it devastating and most unfortunate that after having this world-famous star Aaliyah and her crew select the Bahamas as their choice location for her latest video, the project has climaxed on such a tragic note."

The Cessena plane crashed on take-off
The victims, according to Rahming, were:

- L. Marael, pilot (age unknown)

- Aeliyatt (Aaliyah) Haughton, 22, White Plains, New York

- Anthony Dodd, 34, Los Angeles, California

- Eric Foreman, 29, Hollywood, California

- Scott Gallin, 41, Pompano Beach, Florida

- Keith Wallace, 49, Los Angeles, California

- Gina Smith, 29, New Jersey

- Douglas Kratz, 28, Hollywood, California (Virgin Records representative)

- Christopher Maldonada, 32, New York

In July, Aaliyah released her third album -- the self-titled "Aaliyah" -- which debuted in the top five on the Billboard magazine album chart.

The disc was recorded while the entertainer was filming the big-screen adaptation of Anne Rice's "Queen of the Damned."

She made her film debut in last year's drama, "Romeo Must Die."

Good reviews for that performance led to roles in the upcoming sequels to "The Matrix" with Keanu Reeves.

Born in Brooklyn, New York, Aaliyah grew up in Detroit, Michigan. She released her first album, "Age Ain't Nothing But a Number," at the age of 14.

Her hit single, "Try again," off the "Romeo Must Die" soundtrack, is nominated for R-and-B Song of the Year at this year's Soul Train "Lady of Soul" Awards which will be held on Tuesday.

Aaliyah won Best Female Video and Video from a Film for "Try Again," in the 2000 MTV awards.

A brother like myself is in shock.................

Sometimes life just ain't fair............:bawling:

Prayers are definitely in order. I'm going to be over there collecting my thoughts...

----------->

*wiping tears away*

My prayers are with Aaliyah, the others on board that perished with Aaliyah, their families, and friends. When a friend of mine told me this last night, I just couldn't believe it. I guess I'm still in great shock. Anyone that knows me well, knows how much I love and respect that young lady.

She will surely be missed, but never forgotten.

:( :bawling: :(

My heavy heart is more heavy....

My prayers and sympathies go out to the families of the victims and everyone.

These last 2 weeks have been tremendously hard for me due to my own personal tragedy... One thing that I've most certainly learned is that tomorrow really isn't promised to us and that for today, we should be thankful to God for his promise and his glory.

:(

I just found out like a second ago. I am shell shocked. I wasn't a big fan or anything but she was one of the up and coming stars in America. My prays go out to her family and to the other victums family's. That goes to show that no matter who we are or what we are doing our destiny is in someone else hands.

Those are a lot of young lives taken. To be doing what they were doing, these were all obviously very talented people in their own way.

I knew Aaliyah was young but seeing age 22 makes me even more sad. She had so much going for her at such a young age. You don't just land a role on the Matrix. She was only about to get bigger and pave the way for others. This was quite an experiece for me last night because we heard reports here before she was pronounced dead so all of the local DJ's were just playing all of her songs asking that we pray that she would be alright. When that break in the song came and they announced she had passed, it was hard to hold back tears. The DJ's did not make it any better as they were obviously shaken by the news.

Back