She packed her bags, quit her job in law enforcement and moved to Mexico after George Floyd's death

Olde Hornet

Interesting read!

She packed her bags, quit her job in law enforcement and moved to Mexico after George Floyd's death
:read:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/us/demetria-brown-law-enforcement-mexico-trnd/index.html
:popcorn:

Demetria Brown knew the exact moment she decided she'd had it.

She'd just watched a video of George Floyd pinned under an officer's knee, saying he couldn't breathe as he begged for his life. She sobbed as she played it over and over.

On June 1, a week after Floyd's death, she quit her job as a detention officer for the Los Angeles County Probation Department. In the midst of the global coronavirus pandemic, she sold her house, stuffed her belongings into 13 duffel bags and relocated to Puerto Vallarta on Mexico's Pacific coast.
Brown, 42, is one of many African Americans leaving the United States permanently for many reasons, including racism and fear of police brutality. Her flight landed in her new hometown on June 25, a month to the day Floyd died.

"Watching that video -- my heart broke and sank all at the same time," Brown says. "That video served as my final confirmation that I was doing the best thing for my life by departing the United States of America permanently."
"

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
A guy I grew up with played basketball over seas. He ended up in Sweden...got married and never came back. I know these Panthers in here know who I'm talking about.

Creature comforts won't let many of us leave. My homeboy has a family in Sweden or Norway (can't remember which) and right now is dealing with some form of cancer. I remember him saying how his treatment costs little to nothing.

I can see Mexico because it is cheaper to live there. Saw a thing on 60 Minutes many years ago about some white folk who packed up and moved to Mexico because it allowed the wife to have servants. They could not afford servants here.

I've definitely researched it.

Determined Ecuador would be the place for me. Five and half hour flight from DFW. Could easily come back to visit my folks

Or some Caribbean island. Could probably even do Puerto Rico and remain an American citizen.

St. Lucia, Aruba, and Belize are other places I've considered.

She'll be back. If her reason for leaving is racism, then she's in for a rude awakening. Latin America is notoriously racist and its institutionalized deeper than in the States so I dont know what she is hoping to prove. If she's moving because of the cost of living then that opens up another can of worms in terms of crime, health, infrastructure,and immigrant protections. Yeah its cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Not a good trade off at all.

If I was younger Canada might be my choice. I have a couple of people I went to high school with who left for Canada after high school and have never been back. I considered it a few times when I was in my 20s but like most of you the creature comforts kept me here. I even had a guy I grew up with who moved to Nigeria and was doing well financially. He tried to get me to come over but again...the creature comforts.

Canada would be ideal if it weren't so freaking cold. Snow is a dealbreaker for me. Can't do it.

What creature comforts would y'all be giving up? I can't think of anything I have here that I wouldn't have in the Caribbean or South America. Or even Nigeria. It's not like you'll be living in a hut in Nigeria. Google "Nigeria houses". Look similar to these houses in these north Dallas suburbs. So ... I don't think I'd be giving up much. Besides rednecks and cracker cops.

American exceptionalism is a myth. Just as there are worse places to live, there are better places to live also. We're not the best of everything.

Last edited:
I'd have all kind of kids on the island. To many beautiful women. I'd be trying to smash like a college kid and probably succumb to death trying to get it. Lol

Before I got married my sister, cousin (who is a dentist in NOLA), another cousin (who is a lawyer in NOLA), myself, and some friends were going to move to the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Shyt I ain't leaving America. The world is screwed up. Especially Mexico.

America is a shithole compared to most of Europe and Asia if we're being real lol. I didn't realize how far down the totem pole we really are until I started traveling. I understood then why people call us stupid. What's going on right now with this covid thing is a perfect example of the way the US government and the rest of the world works. Most countries over there have been supporting their citizens since this thing began.

America is a shithole compared to most of Europe and Asia if we're being real lol. I didn't realize how far down the totem pole we really are until I started traveling. I understood then why people call us stupid. What's going on right now with this covid thing is a perfect example of the way the US government and the rest of the world works. Most countries over there have been supporting their citizens since this thing began.

So why are you still living in America?

When I see people who live in America referring to it as a shit hole it sounds hypocritical in a sense because you are supporting the shit hole. You work in the shit hole.....investing in the shit hole....

That's not really true. Folks compare their vacations and vacation destinations in other countries to America as a whole and that's not fair at all. When I worked in Europe, I got to experience areas that weren't Paris, London and the like. Those small towns are just as shitty and backwards as many parts of America.

So why are you still living in America?

When I see people who live in America referring to it as a shit hole it sounds hypocritical in a sense because you are supporting the shit hole. You work in the shit hole.....investing in the shit hole....

The answer is obvious. Because it's cheap and my family is here. Does that mean I won't leave? Nope. But that doesn't make what I said any less true regardless. And dude you making that dumb statement as if I CHOSE to be born here lol. And i'm not investing a thing here. You sound like one of those confederate flag wearing trump dudes lol. I don't care nothing about no loyalty to a country... you sound crazy.

That's not really true. Folks compare their vacations and vacation destinations in other countries to America as a whole and that's not fair at all. When I worked in Europe, I got to experience areas that weren't Paris, London and the like. Those small towns are just as shitty and backwards as many parts of America.

It is true as someone that's traveled quite a bit and i'm not talking about "travel destinations." The education system is one of the worst... it's one of the most racist (where folks are still marching for the same thing they marched for 60 years ago)....the country voted in a reality tv star as the president that has shown that he knows absolutely nothing about running a country. The "war on drugs"... the prison for profit system...America IS jacked up. A country where people are content sacrificing its old and sick all because of the inconvenience of wearing a mask for a few minutes while they're in a store. There are no shits given from the average person about their fellow man here in general. This is a subject i've been studying for quite a while and probably the main reason I chose not to have any kids here.

EXACTLY!!!!

Folks love going to Jamaica but they have not seen the drug infested areas where many of the resort employees live.

When I did DoD TDY in Belgium I was like "Damn am I on a backwoods incest KKK community." LOL

I could live in the Islands. I ain't going to Mexico. I am good on that one.

Would be great to own a vacation house somewhere in the islands. Vacation duplex or triplex. Rent it out most of the time. Go stay in one unit when I wanted. I think that would be nice.

Maybe Central America. The northern part of South America. Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, Ecuador, or Colombia. Somewhere like that.

The idea is very appealing to me.

Back