She packed her bags, quit her job in law enforcement and moved to Mexico after George Floyd's death

Canada would be ideal if it weren't so freaking cold. Snow is a dealbreaker for me. Can't do it.

What creature comforts would y'all be giving up? I can't think of anything I have here that I wouldn't have in the Caribbean or South America. Or even Nigeria. It's not like you'll be living in a hut in Nigeria. Google "Nigeria houses". Look similar to these houses in these north Dallas suburbs. So ... I don't think I'd be giving up much. Besides rednecks and cracker cops.

American exceptionalism is a myth. Just as there are worse places to live, there are better places to live also. We're not the best of everything.

It is nearly an exercise in futility to tell people that. The brainwashing has been very thorough and effective.

Have any of you considered taking the dual citizenship offer from Ghana?

I have. Nothing is off the table for me.

Researched several African nations. Also considered Portugal and Spain.

The only reason I prefer the Caribbean or Central America over Africa or Europe is proximity to family in the US.

According to my dna test, the bulk of my ancestors were from Nigeria. The second highest percentage were from Ghana. So, I'd consider moving to either like moving home. :D

Last edited:
EXACTLY!!!!

Folks love going to Jamaica but they have not seen the drug infested areas where many of the resort employees live.

When I did DoD TDY in Belgium I was like "Damn am I on a backwoods incest KKK community." LOL

I went to Jamaica two years ago for a week with my wife, who is from Jamaica. We literally went all over the island (not the resorts, though) but spent the majority of the trip in her hometown of Mandeville where her brother and other relatives live. It was a really cool experience. While there were obvious areas where poverty and decay existed in parts of the island, it's really no different than many American cities that have those issues, too. I think no matter what foreign country you visit or desire to live, you're not going to completely escape those realities. It all about the trade-offs you're willing to live with.

EXACTLY!!!!

Folks love going to Jamaica but they have not seen the drug infested areas where many of the resort employees live.

When I did DoD TDY in Belgium I was like "Damn am I on a backwoods incest KKK community." LOL
While in Jamaica with the wife, I got to see and hang in many parts including Kingston. Yeah that's a good example. I still have much love for the country and people though. Can't say I would like to live there. I know they knew we were visitors but the genuine love I felt from the natives were real.

Hell no not me.....South America does not have the right rules.....

lol

Rules? What are you talking about, man?

The average monthly salary in Ecuador is $475. Colombia is around $675. MONTHLY! If you retired with $60,000 per year income - $5000 per month - you could live in either place like a king. $120,000 per year in retirement income ... smh.

Last edited:
I went to Jamaica two years ago for a week with my wife, who is from Jamaica. We literally went all over the island (not the resorts, though) but spent the majority of the trip in her hometown of Mandeville where her brother and other relatives live. It was a really cool experience. While there were obvious areas where poverty and decay existed in parts of the island, it's really no different than many American cities that have those issues, too. I think no matter what foreign country you visit or desire to live, you're not going to completely escape those realities. It all about the trade-offs you're willing to live with.

The one point you made is that your wife is from there.....but you are right.

I'm not sure they are any more dangerous than the Ray Earl's and Jim Bob's planning to start another civil war rather than lose their privileges due to demographic shifts in this society. Not more danger than I'm in during any police stop in Texas or Louisiana.

Really bruh.....MS13 is worse. LOL....yall go ahead and go to South America....vacation is cool.....that's a controlled environment.

It is true as someone that's traveled quite a bit and i'm not talking about "travel destinations." The education system is one of the worst... it's one of the most racist (where folks are still marching for the same thing they marched for 60 years ago)....the country voted in a reality tv star as the president that has shown that he knows absolutely nothing about running a country. The "war on drugs"... the prison for profit system...America IS jacked up. A country where people are content sacrificing its old and sick all because of the inconvenience of wearing a mask for a few minutes while they're in a store. There are no shits given from the average person about their fellow man here in general. This is a subject i've been studying for quite a while and probably the main reason I chose not to have any kids here.

You're operating under the assumption that a "Black European" and a "European" experience are the same. There is enough data to show that Blacks in Europe today are as marginalized in terms of access to fair housing, health care,etc as they are here in the US. The major difference is they dont have the numbers that translate into political power and the protections that come with it. The EU's idea of affirmative action basically applies only to women. Europe is literally the birthplace of nazism so good luck avoiding institutionalized racism in hiring, housing,etc. Also sacrificing the old and sick is the exact same model Sweden has used during this pandemic. The US definitely has issues, but let's not act like Blacks on other continents aren't dealing with alot of the same things; but without a voice.

Yall cats can run to these other countries believing the hype......

Hype?

No one expects to find heaven on Earth. A place where there is no racism and no problems at all.

However ... there are places where my chances of being murdered - by police or otherwise - are much lower than where I am right now. There are places where the quality of health care is better. The affordability of health care is better. There are places where a retiree's dollar goes a lot further than it does in the US. And some of those places are reasonably close to here. Reasonably close to family and whatever else I might want to visit in the States.

There are other places in the world that could provide us with a higher quality of life. A more peaceful life. Period.

The only hype here is the false expectations you're trying to project onto other people.

I'm not sure they are any more dangerous than Ray Earl and Jim Bob planning to start another civil war rather than lose their privileges due to demographic shifts in this society. Not more danger than I'm in during any police stop in Texas or Louisiana.
In earlier part of the last decade, I was teaching literacy to 16-25 year old Job Corps students who didn't like to read. With my creativity, I had them reading all kinds of stuff. I started with what they like. Quite a few told me about Cocaine Cowboys, a documentary that I knew nothing about at that time. So I checked it out (no judgment) and I pulled out articles on Griselda Blanco read and discussed her with them. What amazed us all was that in 2010 & 2011, this woman now living in her home country was still alive. That is, until they got her in 2012. I say all of that to say, if the Godmother were to come back alive she would disagree with you jack. And to think, they killed her in 2012 the way she had others killed. Sheesh.. LOL!

Last edited:
In earlier part of the last decade, I was teaching literacy to 16-25 year old Job Corps students who didn't like to read. With my creativity, I had them reading all kinds of stuff. I started with what they like. Quite a few told me about Cocaine Cowboys, a documentary that I knew nothing about at that time. So I checked it out (no judgment) and I pulled out articles on Griselda Blanco read and discussed her with them. What amazed us all was that in 2010 & 2011, we were all amazed that this woman now living in her home country was still alive. That is, until they got her in 2012. I say all of that to say, if the Godmother were to come back alive she would disagree with you jack. LOL!

Yeah.

I guess she and George Floyd could have a debate. Jack.

Maybe they could ask the thousands of expats currently in Ecuador about their experience.

LOL?

Last edited:
Yeah.

I guess she and George Floyd could have a debate. Jack.

Maybe they could ask the thousands of expats currently in Ecuador about their experience.

LOL?
Of course I was making light of the situation a little. It seemed to us for a minute that things were calm in her South American country. After all the violence she had seen and even created, it seemed she was able to finally lived without it. Could have been more so the bad seeds that she sowed coming back and catching up to her.

I agree with you when you said "No one expects to find Heaven on Earth with no racism or problems." Still, when one is able to find such peace, more blessings and power to them.

I saw an interesting documentary that Dr. Skip Gates did on racism in Latin & South America. The only thing I will say is please know racism exists there as well. What I do believe is regardless of where one lives, it will come with unique challenges. I believe that you just have to decide what you're looking for and where is the best place to mitigate the issues that are most personally disturbing, then go for it. What I will also say is all are individuals with their very own mindset, so don't try to impose your reality on others.....LOL

Hype?

No one expects to find heaven on Earth. A place where there is no racism and no problems at all.

However ... there are places where my chances of being murdered - by police or otherwise - are much lower than where I am right now. There are places where the quality of health care is better. The affordability of health care is better. There are places where a retiree's dollar goes a lot further than it does in the US. And some of those places are reasonably close to here. Reasonably close to family and whatever else I might want to visit in the States.

There are other places in the world that could provide us with a higher quality of life. A more peaceful life. Period.

The only hype here is the false expectations you're trying to project onto other people.

Where? Racism and police brutality is everywhere. I don’t role with this fantasy world hype. My response to folks who say there are better places...leave...or why haven’t you left?

See to the folks who saying there are better places...pack up your stuff...denounce yourself citizenship....denounce the benefits your receive for being a U.S. Citizen and move...then come back and tell us the after affects.

I have a number of friends of a number of ethnicities that have moved to other countries and every last single one of them are back in the United States. One guy is extremely Afrocentric...he moved to Africa after he got his education. He would post pictures about how happy he was until he started moving up in the community he lived in and the African college he was teaching at. He learned quickly how those Africans in that particular country that was considered “American Friendly” actually felt about him. He is back now teaching at FAMU.

The search for a utopia is a Mickey Mouse pipe dream.

See to the folks who saying there are better places...pack up your stuff...denounce yourself citizenship....denounce the benefits your receive for being a U.S. Citizen and move...then come back and tell us the after affects.

I have a number of friends of a number of ethnicities that have moved to other countries and every last single one of them are back in the United States. One guy is extremely Afrocentric...he moved to Africa after he got his education. He would post pictures about how happy he was until he started moving up in the community he lived in and the African college he was teaching at. He learned quickly how those Africans in that particular country that was considered “American Friendly” actually felt about him. He is back now teaching at FAMU.

The search for a utopia is a Mickey Mouse pipe dream.

Nah.

You're the only one that mentioned a utopia. I'm not looking for Shangri La. Don't have any unrealistic expectations like that.

I just want a vacation house/investment property somewhere with nice beaches. Somewhere that I wouldn't mind living there for a few months ... or for the rest of my life. I just want to go fishing. Watch beautiful sunsets on the beach. Eat good food. And maybe find me a sexy senorita. Or two.

Stop trying to destroy my dream, dammit! :D

Back