Shakyla Hill is heading to Serbia

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
Grambling State graduate Shakyla Hill earned weight on her name throughout her collegiate career to say the least. She wrapped up her tenure at GSU with two historic quadruple-double performances, two SWAC Women’s Basketball tournament championship appearances, a 2018 SWAC tourney MVP award, and managed to average over 15 points a game through her four-year career.

All that to say, they call her “the big dog” for a reason. With all of the rightful notoriety and accolades, it should come as no surprise that the Little Rock native is heading to Serbia, Russia to continue her basketball career overseas.

She is speaking the truth and from her heart.

“I definitely felt disrespected. I felt very humbled. I think the disrespect took over more because initially when it didn’t happen I made up in my mind I’m done with basketball,” she said. “I was going to go to law school. I was over it. I felt like you didn’t really appreciate me in my moment so there’s no point in me to continue on.

“Coming from an HBCU right off the bat, people underestimate what you can do because how they feel about the competition that you play against. I felt like the underdog,” she said. “And then waiting this late to get the contract I wanted, that already let me know that people don’t expect as much as I know that can do.”

Normally, former collegiate players getting opportunities to play and sign contracts for overseas teams, they just sign the papers in their home just surrounded by their family. But for Hill, the moment was much bigger.

“I wanted to do it for the girls on the team. Whether they know it or not, they’re an inspiration to all girls across the country. I wanted to do because Grambling has done so much for me. I feel like HBCU sports, we don’t get as much attention that we need because we don’t have people advocating for us. We don’t have that many girls in women’s basketball signing pro contracts,” Hill said. “I wanted to put a spotlight on the fact that I’m signing a pro contract and that I’m from an HBCU.

“You can go to an HBCU and still achieve all the dreams that you want to achieve despite the fact that it’s not your Kentucky or your Duke. I’m still signing the same as they would and I’m coming from a black school.”

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I don't think I can recall any SWAC players being drafted or having any memorable stay in the WNBA. They would rather draft someone from UCONN than give a SWAC player a chance

Jackie Winfield was the first SWAC player drafted by the WNBA (4th round) ... I think she was the first HBCU player the WNBA drafted as well ...

Jackie Winfield was the first SWAC player drafted by the WNBA (4th round) ... I think she was the first HBCU player the WNBA drafted as well ...

Oh ok. That's why I put the "or have a memorable stay" part. I've been watching the WNBA from the beginning since the Comets days of dominance/Witherspoon days and can't remember any SWAC/HBCU having a major impact on a team.

Hopefully there is a league still around for her to come home to in a year or two

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
She is definitely and amazing talent and would greatly add to the popularity of the WNBA with her scoring ability and ball handling skills! I only wish LeBron James had made a comment like, "can't wait to see you play in the WNBA", when he gave her a Shout out in his Tweets congratulating her on her two historic quadruple-double performances while playing at Grambling.

Back